“Fantastic hotel - could not fault it!”

Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 134 Hotels in Karon
“Fantastic hotel - could not fault it!”
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We have just spent 6 fantastic days at this hotel. We were a little concerned prior to arriving as there are some bad reviews, but now we can see that these are simply people being petty and having far too high expectations.

The hotel is amazing, yes it's a little old but it is well maintained and remains just beautiful. The service is great everywhere, could not fault this. It's good to see the GM around the resort so much too, speaking to guests and makin sure everything is running smoothly. Obviously they take on board feed back. The beach is incredible, crystal clear water - probably the best beach I have seen. There's always plenty of sun beds available and doesn't feel crowded. Same goes for the pool areas - beautiful, clean and so huge you feel like you have half the pool to yourself.

The food is great, the buffet breakfasts had everything you could want. The other restaurants in the hotel are great too, they might seem slightly pricey but never ended up costing us much more than dinners in Patong and were always worth the extra.

We just stayed in a garden view rooms as we never spend much time in there. These were great value for money, a good size and beautifully decorated. The room was cleaned better each day than I have had in most other hotels, and we are big travelers. Being an SPG member gave us the benefit of a newly renovated room on level 5 which is for members only and additional free bottled water through the day which was good.

The only downside to the hotel is that you have to pay to get into Patong, but there is nowhere on the website that talks about a free shuttle so you shouldn't expect it even though a free one would be great. It's your own choice to stay out of town, one that we were very happy with as the quietness and wonderful beach outweighs the small costs for getting into town when you want to.

Overall, we just loved it and recommend it highly. We will be back next year!

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank RAH31009
, Director of Online & Marketing Communications at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Dear "RAH31009"

Many thanks for choosing to stay with us. I am certainly glad to know that your decision to look beyond the negative comments was reciprocated with a wonderful experience. We appreciate that you chose to include aspects of your stay that are commonly mentioned in negative reviews. Yes, we are aware that we need to further improve some of our rooms and a few facilities. As we will be celebrating our 25th anniversary this year, we are committed to further expand refurbishments that were carried out in 2010 and last year. While refurbishments are being finalized for next year, in the past months we've actually performed touch-ups and preventive maintenance to ensure that our rooms and suites are in good state. We're also upgrading our lifts and would be installing new ones in the next coming weeks.

We do appreciate all feedback as positive reviews affirm our efforts and negative comments allow us to focus on what we need to improve further. Whenever a new review is posted, I make it a point to circulate the review amongst our team to discuss and provide solutions in the next morning's daily briefing.

Many thanks for your review and kind endorsement. We look forward to having you again at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort.

Kind regards,
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Loved this hotel, has everything you need. Is located between Patong and Karon so easy to get around. Service was fantastic, it also has it's own private beach with a bar. Kids club, free scuba lessons and so many more. There is so much to do here they also have an elephant that comes and visits around the pools. If you have kids this place is kid and parents heaven.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jusmo
Dear "jusmo"

Thank you for your review. I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay. The resort certainly have a wide range of activities and facilities and I'm happy to know that you appreciate these. We all look forward to having you and your family at Le Meridien Phuket again.

Hong Kong
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I wouldn't stay here again - that is the simple conclusion

Rooms are large - was upgraded to a deluxe seaview room from a superior garden room. Suites were actually available on SPG.com but the check in staff flat out lied and claimed no availability. To compound matters - staff at check out tried to bill me for stuff not consumed from the mini-bar. Never once did open the mini-bar in fact! If you were travelling with a young child, the bed is actually large enough for 3 people without feeling cramped. You may not need the extra rollaway.

While the overall cleanliness was good, the toilet flush system wasn't working in my room and it took numerous calls before it got fixed.

Also, the wireless internet was glacial in its speed and I was disconnected ad nauseum. It would seriously irk me if I had to pay for it.

Breakfast was included in my rate and it was pretty decent - right by the pool, fairly good selection and a bit of local color thrown in as well. Probably the best breakfast selection of the Starwood properties in Phuket. There was a minor issue with flies but there were not altogether that many of them. The breakfast in a separate area for Plats is no longer available. Its all in the main restaurant by the pool.

Going anywhere from the resort unless you have a car - you will be held hostage by the local taxi mafia. Enough said about this.

Qualified plus points
- beach is clean - looks like they imported the sand from outside and heaped it onto the beach. Only issue is a paucity of beach chairs. A lot of empty chairs - already pre-booked. You had to come early to book them.
- The resort is pretty at night withe the pools all lit up
- Beach frontage

Nevertheless I would bring my business elsewhere ( which I have ) as there are other much better resorts in Phuket which do not feel like a tour group factory.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank flitting_bird
Dear "flitting_bird"

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. I have shared your experience with our associates at the front desk with our Director of Rooms to look into. I apologize for these inconveniences and offer no excuses for these shortfall. Our Information Technology team was told of your challenges with the free wireless internet service. I have been informed that we are looking at contracting an increased bandwidth with our current provider or with a new one. I do hope you'll re-consider and will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Phuket. We will certainly appreciate the opportunity to regain your confidence in us.

Cambridge UK
Reviewed 23 June 2012

We were returning to Le Meridien after a 10 years absence, remembering the incredible stay we had there before. I want to be careful writing this review as much of it is purely personal opinion. A number of comments have mentioned the hotel is "tired". In some parts "yes" but we couldn't fault our de luxe sea view room. Spacious, great view and maintained to a very high standard of cleanliness. The room has all facilities you could ask for. Breakfast is plentiful to suit all tastes although timing for turning up for breakfast is a consideration as it can get crowded.

During our stay there was also a convention running and the additional crowding at breakfast was unacceptable, especially for the families with children having to stand outside and wait, whilst delelgates of the conference did their "networking " over breakfast. They could have opened up another Dining Area, specifically for the delegates, so as not to inconvenience those on holiday who were actually self-paying guests. The weather during our stay was appalling and this limited what to do in the hotel. Gym was excellent, but the lounge/quiet rooms lacked things to do and in our case, were often full with delegates having their tea and coffee and "networking". I appreciate these events may be infrequent, but there seems to be a lot of space in other areas of the hotel that were unused but looked like Conference facilities. I think Le meridien should use the areas in the hotel and not inconvenience those on vacation.

Prices in the hotel were very high for drink and food and the small bar just up the road was selling its drink at half the price and bar food at a more competitive rate. Because of the time of the season, most of the hotel restaurants were closed. But if you try to attract holidaymakers via travel brochures and on the internet and you name these restaurants as a main selling feature you should either ensure they are open all the time or mention there may times when they are closed. It was sad to see so many of your restaurants in darkness. We only made on trip to Patong Beach and cannot believe how much it has changed in 10 years. Once was enough for us and we opted not to go there unless we could help it. It used to be lively, great places to eat without being husstled by touts and massage girls -the whole place was just horrible.
We ate in the hotel for evening meals a few times and apart from the prices which were high, my wife had a bad experience finding a large piece of glass in the bowl of curry she was about to eat.
All of the staff were very apologetic and acted promptly, the Catering Manager was fetched who explained the curry was not made on premises but that the hotel would register an incident with the Local Health Dept and that we w ould be contacted to be told what action had been taken and outcome. To date the hotel has never been in touch. This was our last night at Le Meridien but not a really happy one for the obvious reason. This is our personal opinion remember, others keep coming back year after year. We love the location and love the rooms but I think, sadly, we will be saying goodbye and will not be returning. A great shame after our very first experience those years ago which was fantastic

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for Sea Views-it is worth it
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Mike S
Dear "Mike S"

While I am happy to learn that you chose to stay with us again after 10 years, I regret that this recent stay did not live up to your expectations. We do acknowledge that our two breakfast venues can get busy particularly when we have conference groups in-house. We do advise guests to attend breakfast before 9:30 AM in our in-room 7 Days Discovery brochure. However, your suggestion of assigning private breakfast venues for delegates does make sense and we would be more than happy to consider it. In fact our sales executives were told to proactively suggest this to conference organizers for large groups as part of their program. Thank you for this. Whenever a dining venue is unavailable we ensure that this is published in the in-room collateral. I apologize if this information was not highlighted to you. I did inquire with our F&B Director with regards to the foreign object you found in your curry. I was told that it was not glass but a piece of plastic from the lid of a single-use food container that was used to portion the curry. This single-use food container should not have been utilized for this purpose and as such is contrary to our food handling procedures. After you spoke to one of our senior F&B associates on this matter, we have rectified this and have reminded our kitchen associates of adhering to procedures. I also apologize if this was not communicated to you at the time of your stay. Rest assured that the resort adheres to strict guidelines on food handling. We have also just successfully completed an annual food safety audit conducted by a third-party. We hope you'll consider staying with us again. We would certainly do our utmost to provide you with a more enjoyable experience and would appreciate the opportunity to regain your confidence in us.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Recently stayed there for 2 nights. Terrible experience, not recommend to stay there. First, after I checked in, they took me to a room and someone already in the room, they asked if I am going to share with someone, I told them, I am not going to share especailly someone I do not know. Second room, I checked in, with lighting flash in the room, sure, need to change it again. After one hour, I checked in the third room, and internet password did not work. On second day, I found out that there are so many woman long hair was hanging the wall in the shower room. OMG, I could not believe it and I asked the house keeper to clear to make sure and clear the shower room completely. What was a surprise, after I came back to the hotel and the hair is still hanging there, but less hair than before. The room and facilities at the hotel bit over used and need to upgrade. Foods at the restaurant is expensive and teast awful. If you think the location is great, may be. To be honest, any where you go in Phuket, they will charge you a lot, as no mater taxi in Phuket. If you are a SPG for using or awarding points, you can certainly choose to stay at Westin, it is nice a brand new hotel, it is bit out of twon, but at least worth for the money and they offer free shutle bus to Phuket town. If you need to book any tour to go most place, they normally pick up at your hotel anyway.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank LifeIsInATravelBag
, Director of Online & Marketing Communications at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Dear "LifeIsInaTravelBag"

We sincerely apologize for this terrible lapse on our part. A guest was transferred to the room you were shown but unfortunately the status wasn't changed on our system. Thus, when you arrived the room still showed vacant-clean and you were mistakenly assigned to the already occupied room. I understand your disappointment of the bathroom not being thoroughly cleaned even after you have given instructions to our housekeeping attendant. We sincerely regret that you left with a negative impression of the resort. I know we are better than this and could have done more to provide you with a more enjoyable experience. We hope you'll consider staying with us again. We would definitely make the most of the opportunity to regain your confidence.

Kind regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
1.2 km away
33.5 km away
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
2.3 km away
Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach

Been to Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK