“A little disappointed this time”

Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Ranked #11 of 132 Hotels in Karon
Cambridge UK
“A little disappointed this time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

We were returning to Le Meridien after a 10 years absence, remembering the incredible stay we had there before. I want to be careful writing this review as much of it is purely personal opinion. A number of comments have mentioned the hotel is "tired". In some parts "yes" but we couldn't fault our de luxe sea view room. Spacious, great view and maintained to a very high standard of cleanliness. The room has all facilities you could ask for. Breakfast is plentiful to suit all tastes although timing for turning up for breakfast is a consideration as it can get crowded.

During our stay there was also a convention running and the additional crowding at breakfast was unacceptable, especially for the families with children having to stand outside and wait, whilst delelgates of the conference did their "networking " over breakfast. They could have opened up another Dining Area, specifically for the delegates, so as not to inconvenience those on holiday who were actually self-paying guests. The weather during our stay was appalling and this limited what to do in the hotel. Gym was excellent, but the lounge/quiet rooms lacked things to do and in our case, were often full with delegates having their tea and coffee and "networking". I appreciate these events may be infrequent, but there seems to be a lot of space in other areas of the hotel that were unused but looked like Conference facilities. I think Le meridien should use the areas in the hotel and not inconvenience those on vacation.

Prices in the hotel were very high for drink and food and the small bar just up the road was selling its drink at half the price and bar food at a more competitive rate. Because of the time of the season, most of the hotel restaurants were closed. But if you try to attract holidaymakers via travel brochures and on the internet and you name these restaurants as a main selling feature you should either ensure they are open all the time or mention there may times when they are closed. It was sad to see so many of your restaurants in darkness. We only made on trip to Patong Beach and cannot believe how much it has changed in 10 years. Once was enough for us and we opted not to go there unless we could help it. It used to be lively, great places to eat without being husstled by touts and massage girls -the whole place was just horrible.
We ate in the hotel for evening meals a few times and apart from the prices which were high, my wife had a bad experience finding a large piece of glass in the bowl of curry she was about to eat.
All of the staff were very apologetic and acted promptly, the Catering Manager was fetched who explained the curry was not made on premises but that the hotel would register an incident with the Local Health Dept and that we w ould be contacted to be told what action had been taken and outcome. To date the hotel has never been in touch. This was our last night at Le Meridien but not a really happy one for the obvious reason. This is our personal opinion remember, others keep coming back year after year. We love the location and love the rooms but I think, sadly, we will be saying goodbye and will not be returning. A great shame after our very first experience those years ago which was fantastic

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for Sea Views-it is worth it
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Mike S
, Director of Online & Marketing Communications at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Dear "Mike S"

While I am happy to learn that you chose to stay with us again after 10 years, I regret that this recent stay did not live up to your expectations. We do acknowledge that our two breakfast venues can get busy particularly when we have conference groups in-house. We do advise guests to attend breakfast before 9:30 AM in our in-room 7 Days Discovery brochure. However, your suggestion of assigning private breakfast venues for delegates does make sense and we would be more than happy to consider it. In fact our sales executives were told to proactively suggest this to conference organizers for large groups as part of their program. Thank you for this. Whenever a dining venue is unavailable we ensure that this is published in the in-room collateral. I apologize if this information was not highlighted to you. I did inquire with our F&B Director with regards to the foreign object you found in your curry. I was told that it was not glass but a piece of plastic from the lid of a single-use food container that was used to portion the curry. This single-use food container should not have been utilized for this purpose and as such is contrary to our food handling procedures. After you spoke to one of our senior F&B associates on this matter, we have rectified this and have reminded our kitchen associates of adhering to procedures. I also apologize if this was not communicated to you at the time of your stay. Rest assured that the resort adheres to strict guidelines on food handling. We have also just successfully completed an annual food safety audit conducted by a third-party. We hope you'll consider staying with us again. We would certainly do our utmost to provide you with a more enjoyable experience and would appreciate the opportunity to regain your confidence in us.

Kind regards,
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2012

Recently stayed there for 2 nights. Terrible experience, not recommend to stay there. First, after I checked in, they took me to a room and someone already in the room, they asked if I am going to share with someone, I told them, I am not going to share especailly someone I do not know. Second room, I checked in, with lighting flash in the room, sure, need to change it again. After one hour, I checked in the third room, and internet password did not work. On second day, I found out that there are so many woman long hair was hanging the wall in the shower room. OMG, I could not believe it and I asked the house keeper to clear to make sure and clear the shower room completely. What was a surprise, after I came back to the hotel and the hair is still hanging there, but less hair than before. The room and facilities at the hotel bit over used and need to upgrade. Foods at the restaurant is expensive and teast awful. If you think the location is great, may be. To be honest, any where you go in Phuket, they will charge you a lot, as no mater taxi in Phuket. If you are a SPG for using or awarding points, you can certainly choose to stay at Westin, it is nice a brand new hotel, it is bit out of twon, but at least worth for the money and they offer free shutle bus to Phuket town. If you need to book any tour to go most place, they normally pick up at your hotel anyway.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank LifeIsInATravelBag
, Director of Online & Marketing Communications at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Dear "LifeIsInaTravelBag"

We sincerely apologize for this terrible lapse on our part. A guest was transferred to the room you were shown but unfortunately the status wasn't changed on our system. Thus, when you arrived the room still showed vacant-clean and you were mistakenly assigned to the already occupied room. I understand your disappointment of the bathroom not being thoroughly cleaned even after you have given instructions to our housekeeping attendant. We sincerely regret that you left with a negative impression of the resort. I know we are better than this and could have done more to provide you with a more enjoyable experience. We hope you'll consider staying with us again. We would definitely make the most of the opportunity to regain your confidence.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

Hi travellers. My family and I have not even arrived at Le Meridian Phuket and we are already deflated and not really looking forward to it. I booked 2 interconnecting rooms 4 months in advance. I confirmed the interconnecting rooms availability and was given a guarantee in writing from Le Meridien Phuket that we would be allocated interconnecting rooms. Having had surgery on my leg recently I called the resort to confirm that they had elevators and could our interconnecting rooms be close to those elevators given any walking is currently difficult for me. I was advised that I had not been allocated interconnecting rooms because other people with younger children than mine had been given them instead. I tried to remind them of the written guarantee. The fact that I booked many months and had confirmed their availability at the time, that I am mobility impaired, etc. It seems that none of this matters. You can book the day before arrival and still be granted the room you want, as long as your child is younger than mine.

The reservations staff are no help, other than to offer a weak "sorry". I respect all cultures, but when it comes to a business transaction I expect a guarantee to be honoured.

Room Tip: Say you have a newborn. Lie if you have to. The resort does.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Carolyn P
Jehan_Suanico, Marketing Communications Specialist at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Dear "Carolyn P"

Warm greetings from Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort.

I'm delighted to know that this issue has been resolved prior to your arrival. I would like to thank you for your prompt communication with us before you made any booking because we were able to handle your concerns accordingly. As we always do our utmost to make every guest's stay as smooth as possible, I believe your concerns were all responded to your satisfaction, evident in your email to Reservations team on 22nd of June. Thank you once again and I sure know you and your family had a wonderful time at the resort. I am looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards,
Nagpur, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

Amazing property, awesome view of the ocean at the cove....delicious food even for a pure vegetarian!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank j15
Jehan_Suanico, Marketing Communications Specialist at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Dear "j15"

Warm greetings from Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Trip Advisor. I am very pleased to know that you had a great stay with us. Many thanks for your kind endorsement and we all look forward to having you back at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort soon.

Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

Stayed 3 days 2 nites over there the last weekend, found it to be an average hotel. Bed and mattress were the highlight- very comfortable and clean. Others i.e food, restaurants, breakffast, meeting room was pretty average. Beach was nice and clean. Those who wants to sit by the beach over a long weekend will find this place excellent. not advisable to swim unless calm session.

Room Tip: rooms facing the beach will be excellent.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear "Rin7"

Thanks for posting your review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to know that our Le Meridien signature bed gave you comfort and that you noticed the cleanliness of our linen. Thanks for highlighting our secluded beach next to the hotel, please note that we have Australian-gold standard certified lifeguards manning our oversized swimming pools and the secluded beach. There are also flags on the beach to mark areas that are safe for swimming and areas where we discourage swimmers due to possible strong currents. I do regret that you did not have an entirely positive impression of your stay. We hope you'll consider staying with us again on your next visit to Phuket so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a more enjoyable experience.

Kind regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
1.2 km away
6.8 km away
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
33.5 km away
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK