We stayed at Sugar Palm resort a while ago when it was almost brand new, however judging by a lot of the recent reviews, not a lot has changed.
To put it simply - this place is probably the most laughable resort I have ever had the misfortune of staying at. Looking back on it, it was just an absolute joke.
Firstly, we booked on their website and got a confirmation - then when we got there, tired at the end of a long day, the man behind reception said - and I quote (I remember this as if it were yesterday!):
"You book with agent? Agent BAAAD!"
"No, I didn't book with an agent, I booked directly on your website"
"No, you book with agent, Agent Baaadd!! You lie! You book with agent!!"
This continued for about 45 minutes, and he then got on the phone to someone, passed the phone back to me, and the person on the end asked me if I wanted a room. Well, given that I was standing in the front lobby of a hotel trying to check in, I think it's fair to say that yes, I probably did want a room.
Anyway cut forward about another hour, we finally got the keys to our rooms, and the idiot behind the front desk then passed us to a security guard to show us the way. By this point I wouldn't have minded some of whatever it was he was on, as he got us completely lost, then tried to get us into rooms that weren't ours.
When we did make it to our rooms, they were quite nice - it was amusing to see a price list of things in the room that you could pay to take with you - items such as the TV, curtains, wash basin, tv remote... brilliant! But the best bit was the freshly embroidered towels placed everywhere, with "SUGAR PLAM RESORT" written all over them. Proof-reading might have been a good option before getting these made!
There is no way I would ever go back here but looking back it was rather hilarious - and I'm glad I did stay there for the night as it made the cardboard box I spent the following night in seem much nicer!
If you want a memorable stay, stay here, you certainly won't forget it! :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our exciting new resort concept brings art into every aspect of your stay. Check out the cool eye catching sculptures and displays made from everyday hotel items that will tempt you to take a photo. But more than this, each creative piece of installation art is produced by our own team of staff whose talent goes beyond their gracious hospitality. The installation art has a stunning visual effect that will make you smile from the mighty stack of chairs on the lawn to the paintbrush towel hangers in your deluxe room. Check out the oversized staff photo gallery, huge mobile made from pencils, the upside down umbrellas display and the facilities wall full of TVs to name just a few. There are so many artistic delights to discover at Sugar Marina Resort-ART-Karon Beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, ACCOR and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sugar Marina Resort - ART reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sugar Palm Karon Hotel Karon
- Sugar Palm Hotel Karon
- Sugar Marina Resort - ART Phuket/Karon