“Funny for all the wrong reasons!”

Sugar Marina Resort - ART
Ranked #53 of 132 Hotels in Karon
Durham, United Kingdom
“Funny for all the wrong reasons!”
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We stayed at Sugar Palm resort a while ago when it was almost brand new, however judging by a lot of the recent reviews, not a lot has changed.

To put it simply - this place is probably the most laughable resort I have ever had the misfortune of staying at. Looking back on it, it was just an absolute joke.

Firstly, we booked on their website and got a confirmation - then when we got there, tired at the end of a long day, the man behind reception said - and I quote (I remember this as if it were yesterday!):

"You book with agent? Agent BAAAD!"
"No, I didn't book with an agent, I booked directly on your website"
"No, you book with agent, Agent Baaadd!! You lie! You book with agent!!"

This continued for about 45 minutes, and he then got on the phone to someone, passed the phone back to me, and the person on the end asked me if I wanted a room. Well, given that I was standing in the front lobby of a hotel trying to check in, I think it's fair to say that yes, I probably did want a room.

Anyway cut forward about another hour, we finally got the keys to our rooms, and the idiot behind the front desk then passed us to a security guard to show us the way. By this point I wouldn't have minded some of whatever it was he was on, as he got us completely lost, then tried to get us into rooms that weren't ours.

When we did make it to our rooms, they were quite nice - it was amusing to see a price list of things in the room that you could pay to take with you - items such as the TV, curtains, wash basin, tv remote... brilliant! But the best bit was the freshly embroidered towels placed everywhere, with "SUGAR PLAM RESORT" written all over them. Proof-reading might have been a good option before getting these made!

There is no way I would ever go back here but looking back it was rather hilarious - and I'm glad I did stay there for the night as it made the cardboard box I spent the following night in seem much nicer!

If you want a memorable stay, stay here, you certainly won't forget it! :-)

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank cde3879
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 3 November 2011

On our first day, the bus driver sent us to the wrong property Sugar Palm Kata and the concierge was really unhelpful and asked my boyfriend to wait outside of the hotel. It was late at night and we were hungry and upset with the service given by Sugar Palm Kata. At last, I asked for the receptionist to provide a car and send us to Sugar Palm Karon and the concierge never offered to help us with our luggage. Worst concierge ever!!

Finally we arrived Sugar Palm Karon. It was totally different from Sugar Palm Kata. The receptionist was really friendly and they gave us an upgraded room to Pool Excess Room. Thank god I choose Sugar Palm Karon instead of the bad service of Sugar Palm Kata. Overall, Sugar Palm Karon has a great location (5 minutes to beach, F&B outlets and souvenier shop). Room was clean, mini mac in the room, Good service from housekeeping staff, pool excess room was really great. No complaint on this hotel except Laundry Bag is chargeable.

Room Tip: Get the Pool Excess Room!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Juliet_0619
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Firstly we were really impressed with the Apple Mini Mac in our room, you can use itunes and search the internet on the TV.
The rooms were clean and fairly modern for the price. However, the tiling looks like it was done by a 10 year old.
We had a pool access room, which was really awesome but our room was missing the privacy curtains. We had to have the night curtains pulled all day for privacy from the swimmers and sunbathers.
We didn't have breakfast at the hotel but at the Karon Cafe around the corner, which was a third of the price and the food just as good.
Location was really good, only a short walk to the beach and shops.
Overall I recommend this hotel to the budget conscious, it is excellent value for money.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bexl3
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed 10 October 2011

first time visit phuket , need some place private and easy to go to the beach for rest , real rest no any activities , this place support me . nice room and nice location.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank yui_napat
Hong Kong
Reviewed 19 September 2011

The hotel is much better than I expected. Not to mention its proximity to Karon beach and the restaurants along the road, the hotel room is bigger than I expected.

The room is cozy and clean, with stable free wifi network, the swimming pool is large and comfortable for swimming. The staff is nice and helpful.

Strongly recommended if you are looking for a cheap and comfortable stay in Karon.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends