4,045 results
All reviews tin mine black ginger indigo pearl rivet grill adult pools d buk suite beach club family pool tin mining pearl bed suite coqoon spa swim up bar cooking class moo's kitchen tongkah tin syndicate industrial design tennis courts
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My Mum and I stayed here the night before we left for home! I never wanted to leave!
We arrived early and wondered around by the multiple incredible pools they had!
As soon as we sat down a free chilled water we be by our sides. The staff were kind and incredibly efficient. The room was 2 hours late from the original check in time and when we arrived in our room we had to get a man in the roof to fix an awful sound from the built in stereo. I spoke with the manager to advise we payed a lot for one night and have barely been in our room, he promptly upgraded us and apologised for any inconvenience. They had someone at our door within minutes to collect our things and move.
It was an exquisite experience and I am sure I will be back!! Thank you so much

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Madi Y
NicholasSim1, General Manager at The Slate, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Madi Y,

Thank you for your great feedback after your recent stay with us, we would like to apologise again for the inconvenience however great to know that our team member helped you move to a fantastic room after. We look forward to welcoming you again and hopefully for a longer stay next time.

Nicholas Simmonds.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We have recently stayed for 2 weeks and there were some really good points to this hotel.

Children's cookery class is great
Its big and clean
The staff are wonderful and so helpful, particularly Marie on Concierge desk and the young lady that ran the children’s club was wonderful (sorry I can't for the life of me remember her name!)
Poolside (family pool) service is excellent with iced water and cold towels being brought round regularly
I loved the theme of the hotel and all of the lovely candles and oils that are lit in the rooms to go with the gorgeous shampoo/conditioner and shower gel!
Breakfast is fabulous with so much choice for all nationalities and the staff were always very polite
The Sports bar was our favourite hangout and playing Bingo was great fun for the children especially when we won!!

Bad points and they are small and niggly and i don’t want to sound a bit whingey here because we really enjoyed our stay

Ripped sun loungers – round the pool the sun loungers are fairly sun bleached wood with material ripped on quite a few of them which isn’t great and is fairly run down.
Tiles missing from the flooring in the family pool (I understand repairing a swimming pool is a bit of a nightmare but it needs doing)
We stayed in the D-Buk suite and you have 2 yards, 1 has a small table and chairs, the other is completely empty and therefore a waste of space. a couple of sun loungers wouldn’t go amiss especially as this is pegged as a family room so if you need to take a child back during the day it gives you somewhere to relax outside still.
The back of the D-Buk suite past the patios area is gravel (then fences in with a hedge for privacy). This gravel is sparse and looks scruffy, ours had rubbish in it with the odd plastic spoon and sweet wrappers mixed in. it wouldn’t take a lot to smarten it up at all and it being quite oppressive concrete with nothing else didn’t really encourage you to use the outside space available.

There really needs to be more focus on the Happy Hour!! We couldn’t utilise some of them due to having children (and them occurring at the other pools where the little ones weren’t allowed) and quite frankly having played with children in that heat meant we deserve a bit of a treat!!

Over all it was lovely. Location is a bit remote for a long stay like ours because there wasn’t enough going on restaurant/bar wise outside the hotel to keep us interested but for up to a week I would think it the perfect place!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family

Dear PippaW59,

Thank you for your lovely review after your recent holiday, our team are delighted to know you enjoyed your time with us. We are delighted to inform you that currently we are touching up and refurbishing some areas in our resort as you can imagine the Sun Sea and Sand can deteriorate natural materials rather quickly. Your comment regarding the happy hour has been passed on to our food and beverage director and we will try and see what changes we can adapt so that all our guests can have the chance to enjoy it.

Thank you for your time and we look forward to welcoming you and the family again.

Nicholas Simmonds.

Reviewed 11 September 2018

I recently spent a week at The Slate as a solo traveller and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of my stay. I am very glad I selected the Slate as I was considering some resorts nearby but got a great deal with the Slate and I was very pleased with my selection.

The resort is large and I got lost a few time on the first day or two but there are many carts if you don't want to walk to different locations in the resort

Fantastic service by all staff who always gave a warm welcome from the gardeners to the wait staff to pool staff to reception all very friendly and helpful.

All three pools were fabulous I loved them all and made sure I spent time at each one including the family pool where I especially loved the shade of the big tree with the waterfall after spending the morning in the sun it was nice to sit in the shade of the tree. At each pool the staff bought you a glass of iced water infused with either lemon or orange which was a great touch (Ian in pool number 3 was constantly topping the water up). Along with fruit skewers or iced blocks free of charge.

I had a Pearl Suite (3244) and loved it, the rooms was large and so was the bathroom (with two sinks) and also a walk in robe there was a lovely large day bed, large bath (45 mins to fill) and table and chairs on the balcony and a nice view of the palm tree tops. I also thought the bed and pillows were very comfortable and cosy. Rooms were clean and tidy and the accessories in the room were all of good quality and can be purchased in the gift store near reception from the cutlery, bed covers to soap containers along with other items such as clothing. Always a good supply of bottled water left in the rooms each day.

The gardens were absolutely beautiful and well maintained. I loved walking through the gardens and sometimes seeing the little squirrels in the palm trees.

I ate at the Underground Cafe and at the family pool at The Slate and the food was nice but mostly ate at the restaurants outside namely, Peony, Phens, the Beach Restuarant and Sea Almond (went twice).

Breakfast at The Slate was nice with a great selection of different types of foods from tropical fruit to eggs and bacon even some vegetable and salad items.

Also had a lovely relaxing one hour massage at the Coqoon Spa from Cindy I had originally booked the "Nest" which is an extra 15% but decided to change my booking to the normal room which was just so nice and relaxing. You are given a cup of cool tea at the start of your treatment and a hot cup of tea after along with some fresh pineapple.

Having airport transfers included was great and a bottle of water in the car for you on arrival and departure - airport was less than 10 minutes away.

Nai Yang is a nice area not too busy but a good selection of restaurants, massage and nail shops and a few gift and clothing shops and about three mini marts which one is open 24 hours and also a chemist.

I didn't swim in the ocean as there were signs up regards jelly fish. I didn't hear of anyone mentioning them or getting stung but didn't want to risk it. Lots of rubbish gets washed up on the beach after high tided but the locals seem to clean it up each day just outside the hotel and the main area of Nai Yang but towards the airport on the beach is not as clean.

If you are considering this hotel you won't be disappointed.

I hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled solo
2  Thank GingeMeg
NicholasSim1, General Manager at The Slate, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear GingeMeg,

Thank you for your review of The Slate and I am glad that as a single traveller we exceeded your expectations.

Yes the resort is large and part of the charm is discovering hidden areas, and it seems you really have covered most of the areas during your stay including our award-winning Coqoon Spa.

One of our key points is the close access to the local village that allows our guests to experience a local scene within a few minutes of the hotel.

We hope you will have the chance to return again one day

Warm regards

Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

For our last night in Thailand we decided to book a chic hotel. We enjoyed a family room with jacuzzi, sauna and a massage room. Checking in, we received a telephone in order to contact a dedicated person who was appointed at our service. She was very helpful and did everything to satisfy us. After reading reviews of the Black ginger restaurant, we enjoyed a very good dinner. The breakfast was absolutely gorgeous. This place is luxurious up to the little details, from the tissue box to the cascade swimming pool, from the help desk to the bell man, everything is done in order to make the guest feel comfortable. I wish we could give it more than 5 stars !!
Will definitely go back if in the area of Phuket.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family

Dear emmavbdm,

Many thanks for your comments and great that you managed to experience Black Ginger and also to notice the finer details of the resort.
We hope to welcome you back soon,

Warm regards

Reviewed 8 September 2018

The most beautiful, originally designed place I have ever stayed in. I first came here as a solo female traveller in 2006 and was quickly "adopted" by the locals, ate with the locals, taken out to karaoke, shown small villages and went out with the local fishermen, strolled thru the nearby National Park . Since then I have introduced my sister, my daughter and her fiance to Indigo Pearl (as it was previously known).

Having previously come to Thailand and stayed near Paton at The Meridian I can honestly say The Slate is a cut above the rest . The art is amazing as it incorporates a lot of tin and concrete (a nod to the previous tin mining that occurred in the area). It is an open breezy, bright, colorful resort where the staff are friendly happy and happy to accomodate you . Having visited the recently opened Marriott down the road I would much prefer to have a Thai experience than just another Western hotel option. The Slate is an older hotel and as such has some slight wear and tear. Nothing stays pristine forever. So if you are a complainer and picky and want just another hotel then pick the Marriott. For those wanting something different stay here.

The pools are divine especially in that 2 are for adults only. So if you are looking for a hotel that caters mainly for adults The Slate is best option. I loved it for that reason. The food ordered from the swim up bar is really tasty (my sister loved it) but I would go out to the street and order from one of the cart owners- usually prawns and take it back. Thats the lovely thing about Asia and in particular about Nai Yang. It is a small place, quiet, full of happy smiling locals and the Fun Police are not around to ruin things (like they do in Australia. where you are not allowed to take food from another cafe into the hotel pool areas.).
The breakfast buffet is a treat in itself...everything you could possibly want; especially beautiful fruits , danish pastries, omelettes with chilli, hot and cold options...

I cant wait to celebrate my daughter's wedding at The Slate on 14 Oct with every one of our family and friends staying there...a Perfect Hotel. for pre- wedding party, bridal shower and of course the wedding (beneath the beautiful fig in the grounds) & reception (at Black Ginger).

All of the rooms are enormous. I have stayed in the Pearl suites, the Family and also the DBuk Suite (the latter are all on the ground floor so good if you are travelling with a smoker like I was). The Pearl suites have a bath on the balcony (as opposed to in the room as is the case with DBuk suites ). All are luxurious with super comfortable beds and tastelfully furnished. There is cold airconditioning and different style bathrooms made of concrete and tin. This is not a cookie cutter style hotel where all the rooms are the same. The Pearl rooms with inground pools are also lovely.

PS>. stock up on the soap you find in their rooms & suites by purchasing it at the Slate shop...it is divine.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank joeyGoldCoast

Dear JoeyGoldCoast,

Thank you deeply for the detailed review of your stay; the references to our Tin Mining history which Bill Bensley the designer took to adapt into Indigo Pearl and now The Slate and the facilities including our 3 pools.

We look forward to your return stay in October and we shall be sure to have ample supplies of soap in the shop for you.