See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 4 August 2015

So if you're looking for a damp little getaway and you want to pick up some respiratory problems, then look no further .........this is the resort for you! I stayed here, with my boyfriend, as part of an organised trip. If Eco- Friendly means sticky floors, damp beds, no hot showers, stained and smelly pillows, rundown surroundings and general gloominess, then this place ticks all the boxes. I also had the misfortune of eating in this place and again I've nothing positive to say only that the pineapple was nice. Service was slow and unprofessional.
All 12 people in my group were extremely disappointed with the standard of the rooms and general cleanliness in this lodge. We couldn't get out of this place fast enough. It's also a bad location but that's another story. Stay well away!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are damp.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joanne360
Reviewed 24 July 2015 via mobile

I had the misfortune of staying in this place for two nights, with my partner, as part of an organised tour. The room was damp, dirty, smelly and in disrepair. The location was terrible and the general upkeep of the place was dire. The rooms are actually only a 30 second walk from the beach but the owners have made absolutely nothing of this. Not one single chair/hammock/lounger in sight and the beach itself was very unappealing. The owners excuse is that this is an 'Eco lodge' and that it isn't meant to be high end hotel standard. Well that's absolute rubbish. I've been around the world and stayed in a wide range of accommodations from Eco lodges in the Bolivian rainforest to basic hostels in Angola. Camarona Caribbean Lodge is by far the worst place I have ever stayed. If I could give this place zero stars I would. In addition the food was awful and the majority of people I was travelling with got sick, mostly respiratory issues due to the dampness of the rooms. Also the location means it's a 40 minute walk into town or a 4 dollar taxi ride. That gets expensive if you're there for a few days. Don't let this place ruin your holiday, stay away!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2015 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a group trip, and most of us got ill! The rooms were dark and depressing, painted with gloomy colours. Because the rooms were so damp, we all felt grotty and ill and our clothes stank.

The place has great potential, but makes nothing of it. Although it's in the jungle, everything looks all grubby and the beach front is really neglected, e.g. no sun loungers, hammocks etc.

Breakfast was depressing, with undercooked pancakes and weird jam that looked like ketchup! Service was friendly but a bit incompetent and slow.

The location is also a bit crap. You have to get a taxi into the main town. Just stay there instead!!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Joanna B
Reviewed 13 June 2015

Stayed here with my wife for a vacation. It is a family managed resort, with a separate owner. It is right on the beach outside of puerto viejo. A nice quiet location with a nice beach, great food and service. The resort itself is tired and in need of some repair. The room was okay. Bare bones, with a nice veranda. I would go back.

Room Tip: If you stay, please go to eat at the restaurant accross the street. Il Pecoro Nero. Best Italian food in Costa Rica!
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 14 December 2014

I am having the most wonderful time at Camarona Caribbean Lodge in Cocles. This is an eco-friendly hotel where you can see and hear the caribbean sea all the time. My room has a view of the rain forest right to where it meets the sea. There are pathways in the hotel grounds where local students have posted signs to identify the native trees. The food is delicious, the rooms super clean, and oh did i mention, fabulous cocktails. Pura Vida

Room Tip: Rooms 1-4 upstairs with a view. Rooms downstairs are a true forest experience and close to the beach
  • Stayed: December 2014, travelled solo
Camarona_Lodge, Manager at Camarona Caribbean Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2015

Thank for your review . Here in Camarona Caribbean Lodge we are glad and hoping to see you around sound. We always try to be Eco-Friendly and value the treasure of nature. We are a hotel of a rural and ecological tourism and not a luxurious hotel, the rooms do not have the desired clarity because we are located inside the Gandoca Natural Reserve. In front of the rooms, only 3 meters of distance, we have the tropical jungle. When you are interested in eco-rural tourism without extreme commodities and spend some time in direct contact with nature, we will wait for you with open arms.The new administration is working on VIP customer program with welcoming cocktail, beach chairs, tours and more, require your code via email gerencia@caribbeanlodgecr.com, phone (506) 87075833. Best regards and see you soon.