All reviewsbeach clubacross the streetcosta ricabeautiful hoteljunior suitewhite hotelbeach areayogurtchanged dailybreakfast was includedcaribbean sidestayed nightsgrounds are beautifulcan't wait to go backpollowelcome drinklaid back
Reviewed 22 January 2016

We go once per year and stay at the Cameleon for 1-2 days. I have to say this year some things improved, some did not. I actually like the new breakfast much better. It used to be a buffet and now you get a small menu and it was much better than the buffet style.
But the main issues I had before are still there. If I walk into the room, I can smell the mold. My wife doesn't but I am extremely sensitive. There is still visible mold on the window frame, bathroom tiles and the worst is still on the bathroom window (especially if you are in front of the window and look to the little opening in the wall on the left of the window). Management accused me last year (in the responds to my posting) of lying, saying there was no mold). If you like to (dear management team), I took some pictures this year and I am happy to post them for you.
I really hope they will make a better effort to clean these rooms up. I still feel that if you build a hotel in the jungle, with that much moisture, the rooms need to breathe more. This is why most houses in the area are open, use fans rather than AC and certainly don't paint their walls and rooms white.
Pool is still very nice, new lounge chairs by the pool are VERY nice. So many improvements and there is still NO Hotel near by that can match the Cameleon but for what you get it is still too expensive. Still not on the beach (beach is across the street) and the food in their restaurant by the beach is still not as good as it was once 3 years ago.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
LeCameleonManagement, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Le Cameleon Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2016

We thank you for your loyalty towards our hotel. It is very nice to have had you stay with us again. I appreciate your comments about the things you believe needs improvement and also for highlighting the things that outstand in the service and product in general. I am not by any chance fighting back your appreciations of the hotel, good or bad. They actually help us to grow as a hotel and as a family to be better. We look forward to a future visit, hopefully I will be able to talk with you and thank you in person for your loyalty. Thank you in advance.

Reviewed 16 January 2016

Nice hotel at good location however the buildings and grounds need better maintenance. We expected better service during breakfast and dinner. It took long before orders were taken and food was served. Staff friendly but not very personal.

Room Tip: junior suite is spacious.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family

Every impression of the hotel that our guests provide us with is very important to us. Very well appreciated and thank you for sharing. I am passing this information on to our staff and I will be working with them to improve and be impecable in every single aspect. Best regards!

Reviewed 10 January 2016

The hotel has a great beach club that is unique in the area because being there felt like being in the "jungle". Pool area of the hotel allowed for great relaxation. Although the room had a minimalistic interior, it was very elegant and slick in its design. The bed was pure heaven! My girlfriend and I truly enjoyed ourselves, as we were left in the hospitable hands of the warm-hearted staff. The restaurant could have brought our food a bit faster but the beautiful panorama and breathtaking landscape more than compensated for that. Therefore, I can recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to the area. I cannot wait to go back soon.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank namal91
LeCameleonManagement, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Le Cameleon Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2016

Bravo! hands up for your review. We truly appreciate your kind comments about the Hotel and Beach Club. We are here for you and we are really pleased to hear you enjoyed yourselves.

Reviewed 9 January 2016

I encouraged 3 families to join mine on a Xmas/N.Year Costa Rica vacation and after lots of browsing TA I opted to chose Le Cameleon Boutique hotel after seeing ample positive reviews. I have to say the grounds and rooms and pool area are very nice and inviting, however, must be blunt about the fact that their F & B aspect needs a lot to be desired. On the only 2 occasions of eating lunches at their beach front cafe, service was slow, food was mediocre. The one time they were so late and we had young kids (7 and 9) who could not wait any further we then ordered for them french fries just to fill their tummy hole and the 2nd lunch food took over ONE hour to bring and the quality was sub-standard even by local level. Burgers were hard like a rock, steak -despite being requested medium well- came totally rare, and sadly the kids and the other teenagers in our party were so starving they had to eat it. The manager interfered and did a smal gesture of removing some of the items from the bill of one or 2 of the 4 families. We then thought this was gonna be the end of the ordeal with food but we had been booked the New Year gala dinner (for $100 a person, including the young kids) and it was our last night there so we all looked forward to it and I must say it was a FIASCO! This overpriced dinner was totally inappropriate and was an absolute rip-off. Those who oredered a sea food risotto got a MINISCULE portion tantamount to one given to an infant - basically about 4 large spoonfools and the plate was clean! Those asking for the steak got it AGAIN rare, despite requesting the usual Medium well and to add insult to injury the piece was barely 2-3 bites big! Some ordered the vegetarian dish and that was a disgrace as it was the same mixed veggies of the appetizer but with an added piece of cheese ontop and stacked like a tower instead of being a spoonful shapped! Well, once again, we tried to overlook these issues so we can enjoy our new year dinner together , still determioned to do our best to have fun, but to add injury to insult, the place was badly understaffed that night and without exception EVERYTHING was slow and inefficient. We ordered wine from their very limited selection and of course they said they ran out of the choice of red wine we wanted then asked for a white and they apologized again that our selection was not cold yet (on a day like this could they not even plan those minor details a bit better??!!) then the wines still came AFTER our appetizers were devoured and the main dishes started coming! Tables had no salt and pepper shakers so we dared ask for them and guess what.. it took about 10 minutes waiting with food-samples in front of us getting cold! I have to say something in all fairness, this is a great pl;ace that has great potentioal BUT it requires a total change of management so you as a guest can get what you pay for. The property is quite expensive and their restaurants are highly priced -which is OK to accept- as long as we receive the proper upscale service and products we anticipate in such a surrounding. After this horrendous overcharge and sending email to the management requesting they grant my party (12 of us attended this N Year dinner ordeal) a partial refund of the $100 a person fee they charged, I get a reply saying: we will give you a good rate next time you come to our property!! I have to admit, as a travel agent myself who roams the globe month after month and travel to the far corners of earth leading groups and going on inspection tours for my clients, I have to admit I felt insulted by the reaction of the manager whom I have tried to gently clarify to him our disappointment. So that surely affirms that we will never send people to them again and certainly we'll never enjoy this "amazing" offer of his for giving us lower rates next visit! In the hospitality indutry people must learn that when mistakes happen and when something can tarnish our reputation and image, we do not give "promises" for future things BUT we must swiftly act and bite the bullet sometimes and show the guest that we CARE.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Ihab Z
Reviewed 7 January 2016

We stayed here for two nights, enjoying the beach, local national park (which we rode to on a rented bike from across the street). The breakfasts we had were great and the grounds (including a pool) were just incredible. The room was all white, with pillows in the room and around the grounds a new matching color every day- nice touch. Clean rooms and a great shower. Friendly and helpful concierges. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple

That is a fantastic review! We surely pass it on to our staff to share your positive review. Thank you so much!