All reviews thai restaurant a family run hotel penshaw monument good size dual carriageway bar meals real ale breakfast is served bed and breakfast visiting family busy road twin room easy access business trip couldn't fault one night stay full english
Reviewed 11 September 2018

Lovely, clean, family run hotel. The room we had was the family room, although our circumstances changed and only two of us travelled. Check in was very efficient and friendly. The bar staff were excellent and nothing was too much trouble for them. We spent the night there before going on to Newcastle to take part in the Great North Run and they made sure that breakfast was ready in time for our early start. Will definitely be back when I do the run next year

Stayed: September 2018
Reviewed 15 August 2018

I have stayed a couple of times now, both occasions because i was working away from home in the area and needed to stay for over for 1 night. Both times the room has been top class, spotlessly clean, extremely comfortable beds and immaculately clean bathrooms with bath and shower. The staff are very welcoming and friendly. Only ate in the Thai restaurant which was fabulous, delicious food and service.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank sharon f
Reviewed 14 August 2018

I stayed here with a friend of mine as we were going to the Kubix music festival and this hotel was close to Herrington Park, where the event was being held.
I was pleasantly surprised at the price for a 2 night stay with breakfast included, I should have known it was too good to be true.
The staff at the hotel were nice and friendly and on arrival we were given room 9 on the 1st floor. The hotel must be on a built up hill as when we got to our room the window opened on to a ground area. The window was old and single pane, the whole room looked very dated, the furniture was battered and falling apart with chunks missing of corners. There was a phone in the drawer hidden away but nowhere to plug it in?
We both sat on our beds and I could have cried, they were so old and cheap they wobbled like a water bed, probably the smallest single beds I’ve seen in a very long time.
We have been having very warm weather and I noticed how hot the room was and again could have kicked myself for not checking the hotel had air con because they didn’t. There was a very old fan, on its last legs, placed near the tv, so they were obviously aware that this room was exceptionally warm. I was dreading trying to get to sleep that night.
The bathroom looked ok but when you switch the light on the extractor fan automatically comes on too, with it came the most disgusting smell of drains and cooked food.
I went and told the young man on reception who came to the room with sprays to try and hide the smell.
Obviously this didn’t do anything so we asked to be moved, we were then given room 24 which was on the 2nd floor.
We entered this room praying for an improvement which there was but very minimal. We had double glazed and could open windows as we weren’t at ground level. No fan in the room as it wasn’t needed, thankfully.
The furniture was slightly less battered and the beds were definitely more sturdy but still as small.
I kept going to look at the photos online of the rooms they show and believe me they are so different from what we were seeing, I felt very cheated.
Breakfast wasn’t buffet style, you have to fill a form in on your table but can only choose 5 of the items offered! The croissants are pre packed not fresh ones and the tea was lukewarm, really not impressed with anything at breakfast to be fair.
I guess the saying you get what you pay for is definitely true. I wouldn’t stay here again, I don’t get away very often so when I do I like to stay somewhere really nice.
You also have to ring every time for someone at reception as they also work the bar in the hotel pub.
The one positive thing I will say is we ate at the Thai restaurant and the food was amazing, couldn’t knock a thing.
So if you just need somewhere to put your head and a bog standard brekkie go for it, if you don’t want to feel like you are staying in a hostel, go somewhere else.

Room Tip: We didn’t see a good room.
Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
charlee141, Manager at Highfield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Thank you for your review. The entire hotel is double glazed, even the room on the first floor however they are of a timber construction. The room type booked was for a twin bedded room which includes two single beds. These are full sized single beds. I would say however that all of our standard twin rooms are in the process of being changed as part of regular maintenance.

In terms of the extractor fan, it is almost impossible for that to be the case of the smell issue as it extracts air rather than brings new air into the bathroom.

Furthermore, when you say we sprayed the room to mask the smell I would say that is slightly misleading. I personally went to the room, used a drain detergent in both the sink and bath wastes and used an odor neutralizer smell. Upon leaving the room I asked you to check the bathroom to ensure it was satisfactory and then advised that is the problem reoccurred we would be happy to relocate you if necessary.

Our breakfast is priced at £6 per person an includes a five item cooked breakfast, tea and coffee, croissants and toast, fruit, yoghurt and cereal.

In terms of the hotel images they are all of picture of the room types they relate to and all feature the same general color scheme, feature the same size room and same style bathroom.

I would most certainly agree in saying you do get what you pay for which is why we offer multiple different levels of room types standard, deluxe and executive. Our standard room offering is our most basic however this is reflected in the price.

Reviewed 12 August 2018

Great hotel, spotless, spacious rooms, friendly staff, great bar, and with an added bonus a Thai restaurant, I wanted to say 10 out of 10, but the breakfast let it down, we arrived at 9.30, and had to wait for are table setting, there was no tea left, no bread, no glasses for orange juice , no butter, the breakfast took a while to come, the room was full, maybe they couldn't cope with it been busy, we did not relalise you could book the restaurant package until we saw it in the board, or we may have missed it on the website Other than that it was an enjoyable stay, I will defiantly go back again, thanks

Stayed: August 2018
1  Thank martinar204
Reviewed 28 July 2018

We stayed in an executive double room, which was gloriously spacious and had a balcony which was very much appreciated in the recent hot weather. I fear without it, the room would have been very hot and stuffy. As it was, we were able to open the doors and have a breeze. The room had all the facilities you would expect and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. I usually find that hotel beds are too soft for me, so it was heaven to sleep on a really comfortable one! Because the balcony doors were open, there was a lot of traffic noise, but this would not have been an issue at other times of year. The only downside was that our room was directy above the entrance and this is obviously where smokers go, so the room would smell of cigarette smoke, and if any time was spent on the balcony, you were breathing in second-hand smoke, both of which are unpleasant if you are non-smokers.

Room Tip: I would recommend the executive double if you like to have plenty of space.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple