All reviews thai restaurant a family run hotel penshaw monument good size dual carriageway real ale breakfast is served bed and breakfast visiting family busy road twin room easy access staff were lovely business trip couldn't fault one night stay full english
Reviewed 25 July 2018 via mobile

I have stayed here a few times and it is a nice hotel, we stayed in the executive room which gave us a balcony & nice view onto a690. When we came into the hotel a member of staff greeted us & was very friendly, told us about the restaurant (we had other plans otherwise we would have definitely tried it ) she gave us a key to our room & told us to ask her if we needed anything, very welcoming.
The room was clean & tidy, tea& coffee making facilities were available & also bathroom was clean also.
The hotel is a bit dated but that does not bother me as long as the hotel is clean & service good, which it was!
The bar area is nice & they have a wide range if drinks, there is lots of places to park also.
We booked for breakfast , there was plenty of toast, cereals, tea, coffee, yoghurts & juices you could help yourself to & u could pick you hot breakfast from a wide range of items & it was made to order. The food was lovely & we both enjoyed it.
I will stay here again , lovely hotel.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2018

I stayed here with e friend, we had a nice clean, comfortable room. Attached to a great Thai restaurant which serves authentic Thai food at a realistic price. Also serves really good local beer. Easy access and plenty of parking space.

Stayed: March 2018
Reviewed 24 July 2018

The rooms are good but the hotel needs a bit of a refurb including windows and although we were near a main road there was not much noise. The service is very good and the Thai restaurant is excellent btoh for food and service. It was also good value for money.

Room Tip: Not much to choose from all ok.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

It’s a bit daunting to visit any hotel for the first time however once in reception the Highfield felt right

My room had large bed and was a good size - not too sure about the jacuzzi and would have preferred a shower

Not complaining and from what I seen had I raised the issue I am sure it would be resolved

Had great service in the bar and found the bar menu to have a great selection at a reasonable price

Don’t get confused - there is a Thai restaurant attached to the hotel but traditional pub grub is available in the lounge

There are bits of the bar area that are showing their age - not an issue

In summary , it’s on my list for this area when business brings me back

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 July 2018

We stayed at the Highfield Hotel at Houghton Le Spring, we’re a party of 3, booked into one superior double room and a twin standard room. This hotel exceeded our expectations in all manners. My wife and I had the Superior Double room, it was so comfortable, excellent standard. The other member of our party was in the twin room. We were all surprised on how good the Highfield Hotel was, excellent service, staff so helpful and good rooms.
The hotel bar was well stocked, again service was superb again. On our first night we dined in the Thai Restaurant(Star of Siam), the food was excellent, a good menu and good service. For the other 2 evenings we dined by having food off the bar menu, again excellent high standard well cooked food, and a good variety. We had our breakfasts there too, again nothing missed with a good selection of hot food or cereals etc.
The hotel is very functional as well, a lift is installed, the hotel is over 3 floors, again a good standard of decoration throughout.
This hotel is well positioned, has a good size car park, also there is a good bus servive, stop directly outside the hotel. There are 3 buses per hour into Durham but also 3 buses per hour to Sunderland and South Shields.
In conclusion this hotel meets high standards, we are definitely returning there next year as we attend the Durham Miners Gala.
We can recommend this hotel, good quality at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Go for the superior rooms, worth the little extra cost
Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends