“A tribute to Acadian cultural revival”

Le Pays de la Sagouine
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A cast of professional actors and colourful characters / Spectacular theatre shows / Live musical performances from local house band / Engaging gossip and epic baffles / Unforgettable history and Acadian accents from all over / Stories and legends from the sea / Feet-stomping kitchen parties / Authentic Acadian Brunch and Buffets at L'Ordre du Bon Temps restaurant / Picturesque views from the Patio / A boutique offering local gift ideas Open from the end of June till labor weekend.
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

This site is a recreation of what life was like for Acadians in the mid 20th century, based around an award winning book in Acadian French. Costumed interpreters based on characters from the book give a glimpse into the struggles and joys of this vibrant culture. Their passion and pride is inspiring. The restaurant offers a buffet of traditional Acadian foods as well as more familiar North American fare. After lunch you can enjoy a live "kitchen party" with music and history intertwined. You might also learn to play the spoons! The recreated village is down a boardwalk (also available by shuttle) where there are recreated homes and businesses staffed by costumed interpreters. You might also be lucky enough to catch a traditional music performance.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 12 July 2017

We didn't know what to expect. Our first experience as we joined a group in the Hangar was an introduction to the spoons, fiddle and some heel, toe tapping to the beat of the musi - a down east kitchen party! We heard about what is was like in the past for the Acadians - speak French at home, but not when you go out! We had a ride out to the island and talked to the ladies working in the houses, tried some poutine rapee (nothing like the poutine with french fries and cheese), this one was a boiled ball of potato with some salted meat in the middle. Interesting and quite filling. We had a treat and listened to a band playing Acadian music while some kids were dancing. I couldn't help but dance myself! Loved every bit of this place. The buffet was very reasonably priced and they are set up to serve a large crowd. Highly recommend a visit.

1  Thank SueOborn
Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

I have been wanting to visit here for the past year. Being very English, I hesitated. Today my boyfriend (who is french) and I decided to go!!! Best desicion. When we first arrived we talked to the lady's at the front desk to discuss everything, they were very friendly and informative. They offered us a English tour but we choose not to and to just explore. WELL we got down the the village and talked to this young woman with long brown hair in the first house and she was amazing she gave us all the information and historic's of everything ALL in English!!!! She spent ten minutes explaining everything to us . I was so overly impressed and felt very welcomed and relieved that I now knew everything I was gonna see and the history. She was super sweet. Everyone was !!! I loved everything about this place. The plays were good I could laugh by watching the actions and my boyfriend translated a bit for me. And the music was a big hit !!!! Just overly in awh with this place. Great job.

1  Thank Tamara R
Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

This little jewel can be found on an island in the middle of Buctouche. The village brings the world of Antonine Maillet to life with carefully preserved historic buildings and characters from the novels. The atmosphere is festive and musical with live stage shows going on all the time. The restaurant on site is wonderful and events like the 100 mile breakfast and holiday diner shows are always worth attending.

Reviewed 31 March 2017

if you are looking for a quiet place to visit this the is the ideal place to go to. their poutine is so good and hearty and their clam chowder is to die for. now the only time to go is during august this is the only time the hotel is open for tourist if i am not mistaken. if you love fishing then this is the right spot to fish. if you like the beach than you should visit but i have to say the water was cold since we were in the northern part of the coast. their are ice rings and their is this place that sells and makes soap on property.