All reviews yellow room two blocks overnight stop budget friendly place to stay lovely little place sun loungers the owner wifi only works living room rent kayaks trailer pier caravan water lagoon kitchen tent
Reviewed 21 February 2016

Called the day before we arrived and they just had a beachside Scamp trailer that we could stay in for a night. It was dirt cheap and a hoot to stay in. A bit tight, but we had a ton of space on the lawn and dock on Laguna Bacalar. Watched snail kites diving into the water for gastropods, relaxed in hammocks or chairs on the property, chatted with other travellers on the communal patio. A nifty place to stay and not too far from Chetumal, from where we were taking the ferry to Caye Caulker.

Stayed: March 2015
2  Thank TheFez
Reviewed 18 January 2016 via mobile

This is defenetly one of the best stays we had in our trip yucatan-campeche-quintana roo. The rooms are teally nice and you have a huge garden in front of the lake, with a deck. Full of hamacks and other commodities to lay down and relax. They have cayaks and the water is amazing for swiming. Really nice staff.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ilanweiss
Reviewed 3 January 2016

We stayed in Azul room which came with a shared living room and kitchen which was great for our kids to run around. there is lot of space outside on waterfront to relax and run around. There are 2 swimming areas walking distance from the hostel and ofcourse you can swim right out from the hostel pier.

Room Tip: The swimming area north of the hostel is great for kids due to low depth
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Asterixrc
Reviewed 25 November 2015

When I arrived at the Casita Carolina “Green Room”, I was not expecting to be next to the kitchen; my door was in front of the stove and I could smell gas, which was of concern. At 1am my concern changed. I became awakened by the door which had been opened, but not forcibly. Upon further inquiry, much to my chagrin, I discovered someone with ill intentions hiding in the kitchen! In the end, no one was hurt and no property was lost. Due to the fact that the door had been opened without force, I assumed he could either pick locks or he had a key. I felt my room was targeted, and that I could have been victimized because there was NO internal security door latch on my bedroom door, no curtains on the window, no peep hole on my door, a night watchman who was sleeping, and no practice for ensuring the main doors were secured once all the guests were in. SAFETY to a traveler is PARAMOUNT! The owner was very concerned and expressed his intentions to make the rooms more secure. I have to say that the property is breathtaking and the location is central. It was unfortunate that I had to expedite my departure!

Stayed: November 2015
7  Thank Kelly M
Reviewed 13 October 2015

We chose the Casitas Carolinas because of their great location right on the Laguna and because of the great reviews on TripAdvisor. Nothing really went wrong but the place also did not live up to our expectations.

When we arrived we noticed that they were apparently adding an extra floor to the main building and some of the usual common areas for guests were unusable because of the work. When we checked in no one said anything about the ongoing construction and we actually had to ask for a key to our room because the lady forgot to give it to us. We stayed in the Palapa room with en suite bathroom and sleeping space for four. The room - which is actually a separate hut - was very nice.

The location of the Casitas Carolinas is unbeatable: a very beautiful garden right on the lagoon with a little jetty and plenty of hammocks. The sleepy town center with its fort, a nice town square and a few shops and restaurants is only a two minute walk from the Casitas Carolinas.

We had read that the host of the place is a very nice guy called Austin but we only met a rather grumpy host who didn't speak to us any more than he felt was necessary. He was also using the common area as a sort of living room and on one night he and his wife met there with friends - you felt a bit like you were walking into their living room uninvited. On one afternoon the host used the seats in the common area to dry his wet clothes (including underwear) which was a bit weird.

We had also read that there is a refrigerator from which you can get a cold beer for a few pesos but if there was one, no one told us where. There was a little refrigerator however where you could cool your own drinks. The free wifi can only be used in the common area.

All in all a mediocre place in a very great location.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple