Centro Holistico Akalki
  • Free Internet
Hotel America(Bacalar)
Rancho Encantado(Bacalar)
  • Pool
All reviewsprivate deckbora boranatural surroundingsbirds chirpingboat tourlate at nightbeautiful watermagical placeheaven on earthhighly recommend this placebacalar lagoonbeautiful locationpolloplaya del carmencabintemazcalparadise
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 May 2016

Bacalar was a true paradise – It had a lush ecosystem, seen through the different tones of green in the jungle, and heard through the cheerful colorful birds flying around. After much research, we chose Akalki for its proximity to the lagoon, emphasis on wellbeing, and the alluring images seen on their website of the lagoon and facilities. The actual experience was great overall, but we weren’t very impressed with the service. If you want to feel pampered this isn't a good hotel for that. It’s comfortable in the way you would feel in a relative's home, it’s familiar and pleasant but there is no exclusive treatment, most things are self service. When you're laying out or swimming, no one comes to offer you a drink or food you have to go to the restaurant to order it yourself. The only time you are looked after is at the restaurant, and even then the service is really slow, and inexperienced. As a side note, the menu design could be better, it's in black and white and looks outdated. The staff was good and bad, some were kind, some were rude and indifferent.

Apart from all that we really enjoyed the facilities. There were plenty of places here to relax and enjoy the still blue waters of the lagoon. In front of the restaurant, there was a small palapa (palm roof), where you could swim, rest on the chairs, or sway on the swings. Then there was an even bigger palapa located on the far left side of the hotel, this space was huge, here they had yoga mats you could borrow, for laying out or doing yoga. This area felt very private, we had a wide open space just for ourselves with the lagoon right in front us. Another highlight was being able to use the kayaks, take advantage of this, it's good exercise and a nice way to explore on your own. Toiletries were very nice and natural, the aloe vera after sun gel saved us. Akalki includes free breakfast which consists of freshly baked bread, jam, butter and coffee/tea. If you're feeling hungry they have a good variety of breakfast dishes for an additional fee. The food was very good, the portions were big and the taste was good.

One reason I would come back to this hotel is for the magic, beauty and tranquility of the lagoon. At Akalki you are far away from any big cities, so it's a perfect escape from the all the noise that a city and its people bring. It's truly peaceful here, the only thing you hear is the wind brushing against the trees and the birds chirping.

Room Tip: If you get Cabaña manglar try to get the second floor, because it has a great view of the jungle and lagoon.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank coordinatesdlt
Reviewed 20 May 2016

Idyllic location, beautiful setting. Best food in Bacalar by far, delicious fresh fish (aguachiles and pulpo) and amazing chilaquiles for breakfast. Room for improvement in comfort for the price tag. Poor bathroom/ shower was a trickle. Bed and bedding could/ should be more comfortable for price and changed daily. In general a beautiful place, incredible stay just a few more touches to make it perfect!

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 20 April 2016

gorgeous. magical.
there is NOTHING to do here except swim, relax, meditate, read, bird watch or canoe.
Staff is lovely. food is great.
Best vacation massage ever from Danira (?) I wish I could teleport her to Los Angeles.
The only thing I would comment on is, I wish they had better coffee....but the home made muffins, buns and marmalades in the morning are everything!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2016

I had not planned more than a day- visit to Bacalar, but when I decided to cut short my Merida stay, I found Akalki online. The reality far exceeds what the website promises,but then... there are no words to describe the magic that is Akalki. Despite only eleven cabins, the resort is spacious offering plenty of room for privacy. The setting is glorious, the lake as beautiful as its moniker (Lake of Seven Colors) promises. The food is excellent and the kitchen is always willing to accommodate special requests. Chepi from the kitchen made me a special tea for the bronchitis I couldn't shake. Danira, in the Spa, is a miracle-worker; she alone is worth the trip to Akalki. I've had countless therapies for an accident-injury but Danira's attention to my problems is the best I've ever had. Unlike many masseuses one finds when traveling in Mexico, Danira has training and credentials for every form of massage she practices. I stepped right off the steps from my wooden terrace into the beautiful lake to start and finish each day. As soon as I woke every morning I threw open my enormous Windows to the lake. This photo is the view from my bed (cabin 4). Bikes are free to borrow. There were very few (if any other) Americans visiting Bacalar and I saw none at the resort during my five days.. Tourists are primarily Mexican, but I also noticed quite a few French and German visitors. It is rustic - and intentionally so. If geckos or other harmless critters terrify you, this is not the place for you. For everyone else, I could not recommend strongly enough.

Room Tip: I preferred the layout of my Cabin (4) to Cabin 5 next which I was able to see. However, with children 4 might be preferable.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 February 2016

The places is amazing, beautifull, It's location is one of the most beautifull places I've visited visted in Mexico. There is only one thing they must imporve, the breakfast is very poor. They say it is a continetal breakfast but they only guve you some bread and mermelades.

Room Tip: The room is clean, elegant, big and cute.
Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family