A regular visitor to most of the hotels in the Equatorial stable, I find most very friendly and comfortable (the exception being the one in Cameron Highlands which is a disgrace). The equatorial in Penang has recently undergone refurbishment of all it's rooms and it really shows! The hotel has a very friendly atmosphere and is great for a weekend or school holiday retreat as most people flock to the beach hotels. There are also some great offers at these times.
The View restaurant is an excellent French restaurant and the Kimpchi offers superb Japanese fare. The Coffee Garden is nothing special though and pool dining can be slow and lacklustre - we waited nearly an hour for a mineral water and a half-cooked beef burger.
Other irritations include a seldom cleaned hot/cold plunge pool in the men's changing rooms - this definately needs a refurbishment - and a rip-off taxi service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set majestically 250 feet above sea level, Hotel Equatorial Penang, which is peacefully tucked away on a hillock is just 7 minutes to the Penang International Airport and a mere distance to the Bayan Lepas Industrial Zone. The UNESCO Heritage Site listed George Town is only 20 minutes from the hotel. The 5-star hotel embraces a splendour of contemporary design. It houses 662 guestrooms and suites, each classily furnished and facilitated with state of the art in-room amenities. It is the top choice for executive retreats and incentive group gatherings. It houses two Grand Ballrooms which have been intelligently built with no obstruction of columns in between - reputed to be the largest on the island that can house up to 2,000 people. There are also 21 other function rooms. Penang island is famed for its eclectic cuisine and the hotel is no different with its variety of dining outlets. The hotel houses 5 innovative options ranging from classic French cuisine at The View to authentic Japanese fare at Kampachi. Other hotel facilities include a fully equipped fitness centre, outdoor swimming pool, squash and tennis courts, a business centre, scheduled shuttle services and impeccable service to complete a 5-star experience stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Fastbooking, Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Equatorial Penang reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Equatorial Penang Hotel
- Equatorial Penang Bayan Lepas
- Hotel Equatorial Penang Bayan Lepas