1,947 results
All reviewschagres rivermonkey bartour deskaerial trampanama canalswim up barcaravan tourhammock on the balconygift shopall inclusive packagenight tourorchid gardenfree nightrainy seasonriver viewembera indian villagenature lovers
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Resort is very nice, but unless you are content to hang around at the pool, you should count on doing some excursions. HIGHLY recommended is the trip to the Ebera native village for the day - a great trip. Also, if you are there on a Saturday, do the partial canal traverse (either from here or from Panama city). Full traverse is too long, IMO. You might want to check out the partial buffets to save money on meals, unless you are there on an all-inclusive. A beautiful place, I must say!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 March 2012

A friend and I have gone to Panama and stayed in Gamboa for the 3rd time. The first two were outstanding! Not so much this time. In a country where you can stick a piece of wood inthe ground and it will grow, the bar was out of mint, tomatoe juice (also in the restaurant) also no lemons. They have a vast amount of land where they could plant such items and never be out of them. The spa was fabulous, the food left a lot to be desired. It was not so the last two times.This hotel has a lot of potential, but it seems like they have let it run down.
My room was nice, hiwever, my sister's room wa not fit for a maid. We paid the same amount and the difference in the rooms was unbelievable. , Very dissapointing experience.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room ahead of signing.
Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank mickeyw45
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Hi there,
So let me start by saying we are a late 40s couple. We have travelled to destinations such as Costa Rica, DR, Cuba and Jamaica. We stayed at the Gamboa for 3 nights, 15 - 18 Feb 11. We did this trip as part of Sunwing's combo tour. Four days at the beach (Playa Blanca - reviewed separated) and then 3 days at the Gamboa.
Ok, so first of all I have to say to everyone who slammed the service at the Gamboa "what do you want?" We had nothing but excellent and friendly service from the minute we arrived until we departed. We arrived at 3:00 and were immediately served a welcome cocktail and checked in by a friendly, english speaking employee. A fluently english speaking bell hop helped us find our room and he even offered to run up to the Monkey Bar to get ice for us. We experienced similar service throughout our stay.
Restaurants: There is two buffets, one a la carte and a couple of snack bars (Monkey Bar and Pool Bar). Our all inclusive package included one a la carte and buffet Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (no snacks). The buffets are fairly small but the food is all served in covered chaffing dishes so it was always hot! We found the selection and the quality to be good.
Bars: The Monkey Bar and Pool bar serve beer in bottles or cans and you had a choice of brand! It was always cold. They also served great "umbrella drinks" mango, strawberry daiquiris etc. The Monkey Bar is on an upper floor and overlooks the river. It was a beautiful spot to sit and enjoy a cocktail (or two).
Pool - lovely, clean and refreshing! Towels are located right at the pool, you just help yourself and return your dirty towel at the end end of the day.
Tours - We did the Ariel Tram - highly recommend it, We also visited the Embera Indians - it was also great! If you don't wish to do the Embera tour they have a stand set up at the marina where you can buy some of their crafts (weaved baskets and plates - beautiful and cheap). We did the night tour - didn't see anything that exciting but it was free so no complaints.
We spent a lot of time walking on our own in the woods and on the property. We heard the howlers all the time and saw white face monkeys, Iguanas, toucans, ant eaters, agouti's and capyberra's. We ate lunch at the marina and saw the big ships passing through the canal.
The room: Yes it was a little musty smelling, the air didn't work perfectly and the shower leaked ont he floor but these were only minor annoyances. The view from the room was fantastic and we had quick access to the pool (we were in room 234). House keeping was great!
We walked into Gamboa looking for "the" store but didn't find it, we didn't look very hard as we had been walking for most of the day and were quite tired (and thirsty). If you find the store buy things like coffee here, it is apparently only $5.00. They also sell bottles of the hot sauce that they serve at the buffet for a $1.00 or $1.50. I put that $*%* on everything :-)
I would recommend this resort to anyone who enjoys the outdoors. It is quite quiet so not for people who are looking for a party. The transfer to the airport is quick (45 mins).
Internet: Free in the lobby and Monkey Bar. I don't remember what the cost is to get internet in your room but I recall it was quite expensive.
Airport: Huge duty free (booze, electronics, candy, toys, clothes etc) I was hoping to buy coffee at the airport but had a hard time finding any, nor could we find typical souvenirs such as t-shirts etc. so if you want stuff like that buy it elsewhere. I did find coffee at the airport at a coffee shop, the cost was $8.00 for 600grams, would have been a much better deal if I had bought it at the little store in Gamboa.
Panama is VERY safe, go, discover and enjoy!

Room Tip: Do not accept a historic villa room as they are very old and located away from the lobby/restaurants etc. Ask for an upper level floor for a fantastic view (I don't think there is a bad view but an upper floor will give you an amazing view!)
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dawat
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I'm a Panamanian born and raise but have been recently "visiting" Panamá through touristy eyes. The Gamboa Rainforest Resort is one of my favorite locations. From the amazing spa treatments to the club to the waterfall pool to the tour of the rainforest...this is such a peace filled place. So relaxing...I thoroughly enjoyed this place.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank BlesSyd
Reviewed 1 March 2012

This resort has a stunning view of the Chagres River from the lobby. We did not stay there, only went for a day tour, but I was sorry we hadn't booked a room. Pool was huge and everything was well kept. Rode a tram up a hillside to a 90 ft tower - which we climbed- for a fabulous view of the Panama Canal. Lunch was right on the river with a view of ships and trains passing by on the canal. Took a boat to Monkey Island which was not much of an activity...but we got to ride on the canal getting there and back which was awesome. Also had a butterfly garden, and orchid garden, and other sights to see. If you are staying in Panama City, this is nearby, don't miss it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple