1,273 results
All reviews leeds castle swimming pool privilege room steam room health club visit leeds spa facilities buffet style plenty of parking restaurant staff stayed here for one night breakfast was excellent afternoon tea following morning a lovely stay spa break dominic
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

We had two nights booked here for my 50th birthday. We ended up checking out after the first night after having not slept and a totally overpriced room. Not 4 star at all. Had better stay at cheap b&b.

The windows to the room which was supposed to be a more expensive room were old broken and you could hear outside noise, draughty and bad condensation. We had no sleep and went to reception to ask to be moved. We were told there were no other rooms therefore checked out. 2nd night refunded but would expect some compensation for the room we had etc.Other issues
Broken toilet roll holder. Shower awful. Shower curtain doesn't fit.
Bed so close to wall you can hardly get in and I'm not a large person.
Dirty paintwork. Stain on carpet. Stain on ceiling. Dated scratched furniture. Nespresso machine not hot.
Breakfast. Wet plates. Pastries soggy and tasteless.
Pool. Supposed to be 29 degrees. Wasn't. Was very cold. Too much chlorine and very dates. Jaccuzi not working as all other reviews mention. Paid 7 pounds for 2 coffees from bar not very nice. The whole hotel needs upgrading and double glazing and air conditioning for the summer time. The room we had was extremely overpriced. What was supposed to be a nice birthday turned into a long tiring drive home. Not impressed so all.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tracey N
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Tracey
Thank you for your review and comments. We appreciate any feedback which will allow us to continually monitor and improve our service and standards and I am very sorry that your room was released before it was properly prepared. The room was affected by a leak from above which has since been resolved and this has now been brought back to standard. We take the safety of our guests and staff very seriously and the pool temperature and chemical levels are checked throughout the day and the pool temperature has been steady at 29 degrees. We have many facilities available free in the Feel Good Health club, but unfortunately, despite our best efforts, the hot tub cannot be repaired and we are in the process of alternatives. I am very sorry your weekend was cut short and have been in touch directly. Yours sincerely, Dominic

Reviewed 14 September 2018

We have stayed here for the last 4 years on our way to France on the 2 night package, We were warmly welcomed at reception by Safi who checked us in to our room, we had dinner on the first night and again were also very well looked after by Debbie and Robert,

On the final morning which this year was a Saturday we went down for Breakfast just after 8 am which is a buffet service, which is very relaxing help yourself, when all of a sudden about 50 people walked in having just got off a coach on their way to the continent, this caused quite a log jam which was a bit of a surprise to us,particularly as we had to be on our way by 9am to catch our ferry later that morning, so please be aware of this possibly happening to you

We will however most certainly stay at this hotel again next year without hesitation,

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the lake
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear John
Thank you for your review and positive comments about the team which are much appreciated. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and were well looked after during dinner in the newly refurbished Brasserie. I am delighted you will be back and look forward to welcoming you again next year.
Sincerely

Reviewed 12 September 2018

Upon booking I stated that it was a romantic break with my partner and as such I requested any room modifications.I had no communication about my request and I was left dissapoined as the room was clearly unaltered and there was no effort made to accommodate my request or any contact with me to help facilitate my request.Upon booking I was informed that I would be receiving a complementary ice cream but this was not received during my stay.My partner is gluten intolerant and the sausages were of inferior quality and as a result they contained gluten. So my partner was unable to have a full cooked breakfast as hoped and was disspoined as a result. My partner does not drink caffeine and there was no hot chocolate option in the drink making facilities within the room or within the restaurants buffet breakfast.Our evening meal at the hotel restaurant was tasty but it wasn't overly busy yet the service was pretty slow and we were left waiting for what seemed an excessive amount of time between the starter and main course.The hotel is ideally situated for visiting Leeds Castle and for the cost of the booking I felt let down by the issues that I have raised above.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Steve P

Dear Steve
Thank you for your review and comments following your recent break with us.
We do respond to any requests whenever possible, but when using a third party booking site, these do not always find their way to us and cannot be acknowledged. I have noted all your comments and hope these were brought to our attention during your stay, as we always aim to meet any specific needs and expectations. I am pleased you found your meal in the Brasserie tasty, we do cook to order and apologise if there was any delay on this occasion.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

So we came here for a visit while visiting the area, the bonus was the spa! Looking at the pictures it looked nice and clean and the spa looked good for what we needed.
The hotel staff were all very friendly and we did have a great meal however this is where the good starts to fall apart!
The room was adequate for our needs however the phone in room did not work and the curtains had a lot of stains on them.
We went to the spa which was very dated and in desperate need of a revamp and the jaquuzzi was not working.
The decor within the hotel looks as though it has not had any work or decorating done for a very long time!
Personally I would rate this as a 2 star at best however the restaurant was very good.
The breakfast was also perfectly acceptable!
When we were sleeping we were also woken by every single person that walked past and you could hear every noise from the room next door!
I am not saying avoid as an overnight stay this hotel perfectly suited our needs but it was a bit of a disappointment expecting a 4* and getting a 2 * at best, had I of been prepared for this I would be perfectly happy!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sam B

Dear Sam
Thank you for your review and comments which have all been carefully noted. I am pleased the hotel perfectly suited your needs, that your room was comfortable and you enjoyed breakfast. I apologise for any housekeeping issues and thank you for pointing out the issue with the phone, where a cable had been switched around. The Feel Good Health club is free for residents to use with a number of facilities including the steam room, saunas and pool, but unfortunately despite our contractors best efforts the hot tub has a critical fault and may need to be replaced.
Once again, I am sorry we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.
Sincerely

Reviewed 4 September 2018

We only booked to stay at this hotel due to its close proximity to Leeds Castle and we were attending a wedding there. Compared to the price of a room at Leeds Castle it seemed cheap however still expensive when we got there and checked in.

There was plenty of parking on arrival. Check in was fine and quick enough, receptionist was polite. Issued our rooms which were a ridiculous walk away through a maze of corridors. The room was hotter than the sun and the windows wouldn't open so with a hour to get ready for a wedding it was difficult to say the least. The carpets were worn and stained and everything was ancient looking, the bedsheets were clean and seemed newish and the bed was comfortable other than that the room was awful. Dated decor, curtains that didnt fully cover the window so we were awake early with the light. Just not the standard I expected for the price we paid and seemed below standard to the pictures on the website. We then paid another £22 each room for breakfast which to be fair was served til 11am on a Sunday and was clean and tasty and plenty of choice and food (however lack of cooked veggie breakfast)
Then one room checked out 12 and went to bring the car around to the front (as we parked far from the door) when we pulled up the 2nd room checked out at 12.10 and was berated by the receptionist about late check out and told our card would be charged for late check out!! The charge never appeared but what a way to leave a lasting impression on your guests - literally berate them as they go out the door for the sake of 10mins (they had actually just been sat waiting in the lobby for us to pull up)
So I wouldn't book this hotel unless your stuck for somewhere reasonable to stay in the area but if your looking for a nice breakaway or spa (closed the weekend we stayed because it was cold) dont bother its overpriced

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hazel P
Dominic D, General Manager at Mercure Maidstone Great Danes Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Hazel
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review.
I am pleased you had a good welcome. that the hotel was well located for you and that you found the bed comfortable and enjoyed the breakfast. I am sorry there was any concern about your late departure which can affect the arrival experience of other guests.
Yours sincerely