“Lovely country pub with decent atmosphere”
Review of Samuel's Rest Pub

Samuel's Rest Pub
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Shedfield
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 21
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Private family run in a semi rural area is a very old fashioned pub . Shaun & Nicola & Family are focused on providing satisfactory service and home made comfort food (not fine dining you order & pay at the bar)In house we have a Pool Table,Darts Board, Huge Pub Garden , Smoking and dog Area Outside . A musical folk night 3rd Wednesday of every month. We are a few minutes walk from New Place Hotel, a taxi from Marriott. Food hours vary daily so please call up and reserve a table.
Reviewed 5 April 2015

We got here relatively late after what had meant to be a short bike ride but it was certainly worth it! The venue wasn't too full or noisy (on a Tuesday night) but had ample space and character. After umming and ah-ing about menu choice we both settled on the Steak and Red Wine pie and a pint each - coming to around £25 so very good value. Even more so when the pie came out and it wasn't what we were expecting, this was huge - I can eat a lot (especially after exercise) but this was something else! The pie was rich, tasty and fresh with quality steak & ingredients and a sizeable portion of veg and mash - I managed to finish it, but only just. If the other food is anything like this, then you're in for a treat (and I'm usually not a fan of pies). Staff bent over backwards to help and were friendly. Decent selection of beers and ales on draught. Felt important to leave a review so this place isn't overlooked - we would go back there in a heartbeat; but probably advise you don't bike unless you enjoy hills!

3  Thank PeteLws84

Reviewed 3 April 2015

Good cooked food to order , not pinged but fresh and tasty ,met friends a regular meeting place now . Easy going relaxed atmosphere kids love the garden and the dog don't have to wait in the car .

2  Thank BustedBabes
Reviewed 2 April 2015 via mobile

I found this place by doing a search for nice places in the country to cycle to, and it came out near the top on Trip Advisor, so I though why not, worth a go!

Rocked our push bikes up at 8:20pm and promptly saw the sign saying food till 8:30 which panicked us as we though we might not get any food, but as soon as we got in we saw it was a very relaxed atmosphere, ordered our drinks and they were happy to take our food orders.

I asked the barman what was good, and he recommended the steak and red wine pie from the specials board, so we both ordered that. Now for the price (just over 8 quid) I was expecting something akin to a pieminister, a smallish shortcrust pie. What arrived was a behemoth of a pie! Lovely golden puff pastry that melted as soon as you cut in, filled to the brim with perfectly seasoned huge chunks of steak! I cannot express how good this pie was! And it came with a selection of lovely veg and mash but that pie. Wow.

Had a nice chat with the owners while there, and they seemed like lovely people too.

Suffice to say we stayed until nearly closing, we had a couple of drinks and then made our way home much more slowly that the journey there...

2  Thank TheArtStudent
Reviewed 28 March 2015 via mobile

Nice pub in lovely village. Has some nice beers on hand pull. They allow dogs in on a lead. We had the lamb burger and ham salad with jacket potato. Both were very portions and freshly cooked. It's really good pub grub, nothing fancy. Not sure if the burger was handmade but it was nice and tasty. If I was around the area I'd happily go back but wouldn't make a special trip.

Reviewed 19 March 2015

I had a very pleasant evenng in Sam's! Friendly & welcoming staff, a good selection of well maintained ales, a varied menu and tasty food all served with a friendly smile!
For those of you with dogs, it's good news too! Mine was welcome in bar.
And just to make the evening complete, we happened to go on the third Wednesday of the month, so it was folk music night! Not really my genre, but you can't beat live music!!

1  Thank GCM1961