See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 September 2016 via mobile

I have just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel. My parents had booked a package holiday but their accommodation was full so I chose to stay here as the property was nearby. I was travelling with a baby and a 2 year old by myself. The staff at this hotel are so friendly and helpful and are on hand to help with anything. All areas are spotlessly clean and the accommodation is of a good standard. I stayed in a one bedroom apartment which had a large bedroom, large sitting area with kitchenette and a large balcony.
I would highly recommend a stay at the Matthias, the location was perfect but above all the friendly welcome made my stay perfect. Thank you

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

We stayed for 7 days and from the first moment the ladies on the front desk where so kind and helpfull..the room was spacious and clean with air con,fridge etc..totally recommend it...Thank you maria!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

The staff is amazingly friendly, the pool area is perfect if you have children, the beach is 100 meters away and it's very clean. The wifi is free and can handle at least 3 kids watching Youtube at the same time (!!) and the air condition is also free so you're able to cool down quickly after a hot summer day.
All in all a lovely experience.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Lena O
Reviewed 21 July 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for a week early in July 2016.

The hotel was basic, but clean. We'd hired a car so it was an ideal base to explore the island from. Park on the road BEHIND the hotel, not in front, to avoid fines. Lots of good places to eat locally and a short drive gets you into Rethymno. Park on the seafront, up beside the fort, for free. Make sure you visit the Old Town, especially in the evening. The variety of eateries is amazing and the quality and prices cater for all appetites.

The pool is small but wasn't ever busy and was nice and private for a lovely dip.

Why not 5*? The front and rear doors are never locked and reception is unmanned overnight. The room doors have security locks and a small safe is available in the room. Even so, I always had a concern that anyone could just walk in from outside the hotel and walk unchallenged along the corridors, outside of our rooms.

Breakfast was only served from 8 until 8:30, and had to be pre-booked the day before. We didn't eat breakfast in the hotel so this wasn't an issue for us.

Wifi signal was good but speed was pretty grim.

However, this hotel is great value for money and we enjoyed our time there.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank LordSoth
Reviewed 18 July 2016

Such a lovely hotel. We booked the hotel quite late as we were let down with other accommodation but we definitely struck gold with Mathias. Hotel nice & clean. Staff were really friendly. Very relaxed atmosphere. Pool is great & most days we were the only ones using it. Perfect location with beach just over the road. Plenty of bars & restaurants. Loved Roulis Beach Bar. Went there most days & used the sunbeds. Their lunches are nice & inexpensive. Best English breakfast was at Christina Apartments - across the road to the left. Will hopefully stay here again soon.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family