“But don't go the last week in October!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aquila Rithymna Beach Hotel

Aquila Rithymna Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Adelianos Kampos
Yeovil, United Kingdom
“But don't go the last week in October!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

Friendly, helpful, multi-lingual staff, clean rooms and spacious grounds. Just returned from a week here, we were really looking forward to all the daytime activities and entertainment listed in the Thomson brochure but it soon became evident that the hotel was closing down for the end of the Summer season. The water sports had ended before we arrived, there were no dance, cooking or language lessons, the jewellers closed on Thursday, the taverna closed on Wednesday, the supermarket shelves were emptying and then the clothes shop closed on Saturday. The evening entertainment was limited to one belly dancer show and the house band on 4 evenings in the lobby bar. We were told that things in Greece start to shut down but did not expect to see it happening actually at the hotel as we were staying there. Even the sun loungers around the pool were being collected on the Saturday as people were trying to relax there.

Room Tip: Garden bungalow room 161 is a good room. There are some beach front rooms with pool.
2 Thank Somersparkler
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

Stayed for one week the best thing about this hotel is the staff who are kind friendly and attentive ...the hotel itself is very clean the room we stayed in was small this was not a problem in terms of decor a little tired ... I have to say that they went to enormous trouble to provide my husband with a walk in shower. Our greatest problem was the cold at night rooms do not have any heating this prevented us from sleeping... it was this that caused us to cut short our stay.
On request hey allowed us a very late check out The food was plentiful lots of variety but by no means exceptional.

3 Thank westie60
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

beautiful place. very beautiful gardens.
All personnels are really kind and helpful.
Looking at number of rooms it may be crowded during summer

Room Tip: Did not try it but there are lovely private suite right on the beach with private pool
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Ejannett
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

Got back on 9th October after 10 wonderful days (half board) at this hotel. Our room was a bit old fashioned but very clean and comfortable. The staff in all areas are what make this hotel special. I am surprised by the previous reviewer who was disappointed with the gluten free offer as my wife has similar requirements and felt she was spoilt by one of the restaurant managers who advised what she could and couldn't eat every meal time and described how many of them were cooked. On one of the nights when she was not keen on any of the dishes on offer he arranged to have a dish cooked to order. On the night he was off the service and advice was just as good. Drinks are not cheap and they do have some quite expensive wines so don't order a wine without asking the price. We had wine or water in the restaurant every night and charged stuff to our room from many of the bars and our account was correct when we checked out. The beach pools and gardens are lovely but as mentioned earlier it is the management and staff that will make us return to this hotel.

3 Thank mikehoarehh
Newport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

Very impressed with cleanliness of hotel and hotel grounds/pools etc. Reception staff couldnt do enough to help when one of our party reqd to be moved to a room with a shower as they are disabled. The food was good in the main restaurant and we loved the gyros at the Pool Bar! Beach Bar staff were also very friendly. The reason why I am only rating this hotel as an average is because we chose this hotel to get married and had 16 guests with us in total. We paid for our wedding package at the time of booking our holiday, so we were upset to discover that apparently various items in the package were not covered. The Guest Relations staff at the hotel were asking for additional monies almost on a daily basis. An extra 100E to get married on a Saturday, an extra 500E to eat at the restuarant of my choice,(within the hotel) at lunch time. An extra 83E for a wedding cake which was supposedly included. A cost of 540E for our wedding meal and 192E for sparkling wine, although all guests were Premium All Inclusive. The situation came to a head when the day before our wedding the Food & Beverage Manager offered to give me a quote for staff to serve us drinks, at the Reception, at which point I ended up in tears, due to all the stress. Things did not improve when the groom was given a seperate room the night before the wedding (part of the package) which was a beautiful room with a double bed to spend the night seperately. Even though the hotel was empty (end of season) they refused to let us keep this room on for our wedding night and expected us to sleep in single beds, although the room was available. Our best man was sharing a room with his mother as she travelled over for the wedding also and they were allocated a double bed, but a honeymoon couple are expected to sleep in single beds in a 5* hotel, that you have paid to get married at!

I then had to move my wedding to 4pm in order to avoid the 500E surcharge to eat in the restuarant of my choice following the wedding. On the day of the wedding, my flowers, bridesmaid, button holes and table decs all turned up the wrong colour and I ended up in tears, once again. Just when I thought things could not get any worse, on my walk down to the chapel, the Guest Relations staff played the wrong music, not just once, but twice, which again, I walked to the chapel in tears. It then began to rain. It had been brilliant sun all morning, and would have been had I been able to keep my wedding at 11 am, as I wanted. Due to the fact I had to change the time, I encountered rain and a combinated of me in tears, my 6 yr old daughter in tears, becuase I was upset, the photos and DVD clearly reflect this. Following some stern words from one of my family members about all the stress and mistakes made with the flowers and the music the hotel did all of a sudden find that they were able to upgrade us after all to a lovely suite, with a double bed! This meant that I had to pack our 4 suitacases up, in my wedding dress, on my wedding day, in the rain, whilst my guests were waiting for me. I rushed to do so and ended up leaving my tickets in the room. As I had refused the quote for staff to serve us, some of my guests were refused service at the bar, whilst staff were serving other all inclusive guests, which is absolutely disgusting. It seemed to be that you mention wedding and everything was increased in cost. I went to hairdressers on the day and it cost me 18E for a blow dry becuase I didnt mention I was the bride, if I had said I was the bride, the cost would have been 220E!!!! To top it all off, we checked our bill and another 200E had been added but noone could tell us why, on the day of check -out, we were finally told that the meal was 740E, not 540E and we had misread the wording in the quote. Normally, I would have given the benefit of the doubt, but after everything that had happened, I refused to pay the extra 200E. Thompson got invovled and they ended up paying half of it with the hotel! Anyway, recommend for a holiday but definately not for a wedding!

Room Tip: Hotel was suppossed to be wheelcahir friendly, but we did not find this to be the case.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
#4 of 178 in Hersonissos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,553 reviews
1.8 km away
White Palace El Greco Luxury Resort

Been to Aquila Rithymna Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK