“Sejour 3 - 10 September - relaxing vacation”
Review of Rethymno Palace

Rethymno Palace
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Adelianos Kampos
Reviewed 15 September 2017

Really nice hotel and staff, it was a relaxing vacation. This hotel is a great choice if you are looking for a place to relax or to be well located to visit the island. I traveled there with my mother and it was a perfect week.
Rooms: some of the rooms are renovated and some are not. We were at first given a room that was not renovated and was quite noisy as it was facing the street and the entry to the hotel parking. We kindly requested to be moved to a more quiet room and the next day we were given another room with garden/sea view which was renovated. Old rooms are not 5* but the newly renovated ones are. Rooms are cleaned every day and towels are changed.
Beach: hotel is located right on the beach, sun loungers and umbrellas are provided free of charge and we always find free ones. There are big rocks and stones on the water but we had swimming shoes and it made swimming much more comfortable. Good location for snorkeling.
Food: lots of variety on the buffet restaurant (we had all inclusive) lots of vegetables and choices for vegetarians/vegans as well.
Entertainment: this is one area that the hotel could improve on. For only 3 nights a week entertainment is provided, 2 concerts (same concert repeating) and a Greek night which we really enjoyed.
Wifi for guests is offered on the hotel premises and even on the beach the signal is quite good.
Overall I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed here 22nd August.

Welcome: we were welcomed warmly and were asked to leave our bags briefly for a refreshing drink and and seat to fill in a little paperwork. We were then shown to our room and how to work the basics.

Room: "deluxe garden room" stayed in a recently refurbished ground floor room. The garden isnt exactly picturesque but the area is quite rocky and dry so it is understandable. Nice flowers tended to in directly in front of the terrace. Decor was fresh and modern. Air conditioning wasnt quite powerful enough for us, even with the fan on and you'd need to request a second room key to leave it on while you are out. Beds are comfy but i think the mattresses are topped with memory foam which retains heat. There was an unpleasant drain smell in the room occasionally-we didnt report this though. However overall the rooms were nice. Bottle of water is replaced daily. Towels changed daily. A welcome bottle of drinkable red wine was also provided. An unusual point to note is that there is an additional charge to use the room safe. Spacious room for 2.
The shower has many jets, which you cam turn on or off as you please. Plenty of room. Clean.

Beach: plenty of sunloungers and parasols available at no additional charge. Beach is pebbley and quite jagged in places so I would recommend a good pair of sea shoes to enjoy it. They do sell at the gift shop but sizes are limited. Beach is mostly clean. There are large slippy rocks right at the shore line so swimming is dangerous if there are strong waves, but they have a cunning flag system monitored by the lifeguards. We werent able to swim in the sea much but the waves were nice to watch. Beautiful sunsets down by the beach and can be seen from the beach bar.

Pool: you can get beach towels from the spa for €10 deposit (refundable upon return) and you can change these for fresh towels each day. Alternatively the gift shop sells some you can buy for about the same price. There is a drying rack on the terrace/balcony.
Sunloungers are reserved quite early so be prepared for a more dappled sunbathing experience if you are down later. There is table tennis, air hockey, and pool table but we didnt use these. The salt water pool was clean. Bottles of water out with meal times cost extra but free water can be found at the beach bar (or the lobby bar)

Spa: spa staff are friendly and polite. I took advantage of a spa offer for an express scrub and swedish massage for €50, very relaxing experience and my skin felt lovely afterwards. I didnt use the spa pool but it looked nice.

Food and service: the all inclusive package includes a buffet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There is a varied selection of cretan, greek, and Mediterranean foods. Lots of fresh veg and fruit available. Desserts are largely cream based. I enjoyed the plentiful local cheeses, tomatoes, the greek yoghurt and local honey, and the lamb kebabs, and tasty pork dishes as well. We didnt eat here every meal and opted to try restaurants in Rethymno proper (lonely planet recommended Avli and thalassografia-so do I). The buffet menu feels a bit repetitive after a week but the chefs do well to offer variety.
The all inc package includes local spirits but not any premium spirits or fruit juices (and no tonic at the beach bar). Opting for a premium spirit is an expensive decision as we were €19 for two jack daniels (no mixer but the measures were doubles). The measures are plentiful. The red and white wines are local and very pleasant. The local beer is also very smooth. The cocktails in the all inc package were a bit sugary for our tastes, we didnt order any premium cocktails.
The service is at a slightly more relaxed pace, but I had expected that from some lonely planet research. I didnt feel ignored, we were always greeted and offered a drink and a bottle of water. Plates were removed promptly. Tables werent left dirty.
Bar staff were polite, staff greeted us in passing. We had an issue with our departure transfer but the reception staff were helpful in trying to resolve this. All staff spoke english to some degree, i didnt feel as if there were any great language barriers and I didnt learn any greek before arriving and we got by just fine. Some of the waiting staff were happily conversing in three or four languages.
The a la carte restaurant at the beach didnt seem to see much use, we didnt eat there.

Location: rethymno is about an hour transfer from heraklion airport. From the hotel to the centre and the old town cost us €12 in a taxi one way. Taxi ranks are 24/7 so no hassle getting back again. The nightlife is really in the centre, there didnt seem to be much around the hotel other than other hotels and an abundance of lilo shops. There wasnt a great deal of entertainment provided by the hotel but there were at least 3 nights with some live music.

As far as an all inclusive holiday goes, we didnt rely on the hotel for our entertainment. In our week I got through 4 books and we investigated Rethymno old town and lake kournos on our own. It is a nice place to relax and unwind, catching a good bit of sun in the process.
We felt very safe (Crete in general). The hotel is well maintained in communal areas.

There are planned excursions run from the hotel but this isn't something we looked in to.

If you like fish, there are some lovely giant koi carp in the foyer area.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Holly N
reception r, Υπεύθυνος Δημοσίων Σχέσεων at Rethymno Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2017

Dear Holly N,

Thank you for your time to write your feedback about your stay in our Hotel,Rethymno Palace and for recommending our resort so warmly.

It is very important for us to know how that can meet with the expectations of all our guests as we take our role in our industry very seriously and try, every day, to provide the quality customer service that our guests expect.
Only through feedback such as yours we can maintain and indeed, where necessary, improve upon the service that we provide to our valued guests.

It is a delight to read your stay with us was pleasant and enjoyfull and we hope we will have another occasion to be your hosts again.

With our Warmest Regards,
Guests Relations.

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

Went to this hotel on the 8th Aug 2017 for a week. I really don't think it warrants a 5 star rating it should be a 3 star. Hotel staff were rude. Pool bar staff renault and a few others couldn't be bothered. It's a possibility that we were English so didn't. Get surved. Or it was a chore every time to serve us drinks even the children. Even yesterday 15th our last day our family of five at lunch asked for. Some water and the water said he was far to busy to bring us boule of water. The food. Was OK the chef has a mack for recycling leftovers eg pasta for. Lunch and pasta pie for. Evening meal chef is very creative. I emailed the hotel previous to arriving. Asking for a family room but was given 2 rooms so one of the 3 kids slept on a sofa all week. Certainly wasn't a bed size sofa. The Staffin the restaurant cleared away plates from other tables constantly but left ours. Rooms were cleaned every day clean bedding and towels. Rooms quite small certainly for 3 people. Don't be fooled by all the marble in the entrance to the hotel and the plastic chandeliers and arm chairs. The photos of the bedrooms I have no idea. Where they got them from. Yes hotel is right on the beach but you cannot. Paddle or safely walk out as it has huge rocks to get over under the water. Had to buy beach shoes to stop kids. Cutting there feet. Out of 7 days only swam one day as it was red flagged as it was quite windy which can't be helped. The huge rocks was an issue. So in my oppinion the holiday certainly wasn't worth 4500 pound for a week meant to be loverly holiday but staff were rude unhelpful couldn't be bothered looked down. On us all. Unless you were Russian German French. Really no malice towards them as people it just was very noticeable being English staffs attitude towards. Us was terrible.
Mk

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank 1966mags
reception r, Υπεύθυνος Δημοσίων Σχέσεων at Rethymno Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2017

Dear 1966mags.

Thank you very much for taking the time to review on Tripadvisor about your accomondation to our Hotel Rethymno Palace.

We are deeply sorry to hear that not everything during your stay was to your fullest satisfaction.

We also regret that you did not express your complaints during your stay with us, which would have enabled us to take action in order to meet your expectations.

Although, the expierences that you have described are not characteristic of the level of services our collegues strive to provide and we apology if your stay was unsatisfactory.

We constantly work on improving our guests’ satisfaction; therefore, your feedback, positive or negative, helps us to see our product through the eyes of our guests and is highly valuable to us.

With our Kind Regards from Rethymnon,
Guest Relations.

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

5 Star Hotel - Are you alright ??

Hotel staff rude, english poor, not helpful in any way, pathetic

Room look like something out of Fawlty Towers, dated no taste. Kettle but no complimentary tea bags.

Bath seemed like it was modelled around the hobbit, for gods sake I was nearly smashing my head on the shower head.

Air conditioning weaker than Plymouth Argyles's chance of winning the Champions League. A joke considering the hot climate of Crete.

Not 5* quality at all

Breakfast, lots of selection but all poor quality food, not good enough to be a 5* Hotel. When I asked for a bottle of water I was told that I had to pay for it. Disgusting attitude.

My son went to the downstairs games area and the ping pong racquets he and I received were in abysmal shape, nearly unusable, and the ball hardly bounced.

Pool- shaped like a dead snake, and the hand rails squeak louder than the complaining customers. Not pleasant when I am trying to relax.

Sea, pebbles all over the place and it stank.

This next part really showed why this hotel is not a 5* star.

I asked to use the tennis courts and nearly collapsed when I heard there was a €15 charge per hour. I had paid substantial amount of money to stay at this hotel and they wanted me to pay for what I had already paid for. Are you mad ?

€40 deposit for 4 towels. Not acceptable.

Don't come here

Would never recommend

Stayed: August 2017
6  Thank Georgy M
reception r, Υπεύθυνος Δημοσίων Σχέσεων at Rethymno Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2017

Dear Georgy M.

With our Kind Regards from Rethymnon,
Guest Relations.

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

We arrived in Crete hoping that the holiday would be one to remember. It didn’t get off to a good start. When we arrived at the hotel the receptionist’s didn’t welcome us to the standard we wanted. Honestly, they were rude!

After all checking-in was done we were shown to our room which looked like it was from the Victorian ages and the bathroom was made for dwarf’s. It didn’t match the pictures we saw when we booked. They had a kettle with no tea bags or anything which was pointless. Communication with reception was poor because the phone wasn’t working ,if we needed anything we couldn’t get it. Holiday wasn’t just about relaxing, I had to work however the wifi was far too slow and everyday I needed to go to reception to get a new code which became frustrating.

For the price of the hotel I was very disappointed.

The pool outside had rails and ladders which were squeaking and shaking and slightly dangerous which I thought would break every time someone used them . It became irritating when I was trying to relax and all I can here is the ladder squeaking! The pool smelt like urine and occasionally my children would moan that it tasted horrible! We had to put a €40 deposit down to use towels which was utterly outrageous.However the indoor pool (spa) was better as it was much quieter and the pool was very warm thus it was more of a relaxing place than the outdoor pool. No gym was a pain in the backside.

The beach was pebbly and had a smell which was beyond description

My family and I thought that a casual game of tennis would be nice. We went to reception to ask for racquet’s and balls where we met a €15 charge for an hour which instantly changed our minds. We had paid enough money for the hotel and they want to charge us more. So we decided to play at the mini arcade where every machine took our money and the reception refused to give it back!

Breakfast: The breakfast selection was very small and the buffet became very overcrowded. Dirty plates were left everywhere and no one cleaned them.The breakfast overall was poor.

Lunch: Buffet was the same story as above^. So we decided to try the beach bar/ restaurant. I ordered a pizza but was served pasta which I was not pleased with. Even that didn’t taste good.

Dinner: Same story as breakfast. Abysmal!

They even had the guts to charge me for a bottle water in the boiling conditions!

I don’t recommend this hotel at all!

For the price I paid I was extremely disappointed!

Don’t book here!!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank 10TheAdvisor10

Dear Member 10TheAdvisor10 ,

Good afternoon and thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel,Rethymno Palace.

We take negative reviews very seriously in our constant attempt to further improve our services.
We would want to note that Hotel Rethymno Palace and its Departments such as the Reception, Restaurant, Cleaning etc are very highly ranked by the vast majority of our clients at all travel review platforms for our high-quality hospitality to every guest on every stay, starting from your arrival until your departure.
However your feedbacks help us highlight the areas that need further attention.

With our Kind Regards from the Island of Crete,

Sea Side Resort & Spa
#2 of 29 in Agia Pelagia
42.6 km away
Out of the Blue Capsis Elite Resort

Been to Rethymno Palace? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK