“Well known restaurant as the Best creole food in the Island of Praslin”
Review of La Goulue

La Goulue
Ranked #2 of 10 Restaurants in Anse Volbert
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 March 2017

We were staying in a hotel nearby and we saw that the restaurant La Goulue was full every night so we wanted to give it a try. We also talked with locals and they said that La Goule served the best Creole food in Praslin Island.

We went there with high expectations and we were lucky to have a table available for the last service at 8:30pm. You really need a bookin because this place is always full. We ordered a classic Seychellois dish: Octopus curry and we really enjoyed it. It was delicious and cooked with fresh products. It is a bit pricey, like every restaurant in Seychelles as the main was 250 rupees (17€). But the portion was quite good, served with rice, lentils, chutney and squash pumpkin.
Tips: book in advance or arrive very early. Open from 7pm to 9pm

1  Thank Carole L

Reviewed 25 March 2017 via mobile

Quality meals with wanderful service . Value for money.
Highly recommended. For two days in a row we have return to try the menu. The best on the island.

Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and me came here on our first evening of our stay on Praslin after reading many positive comments about it and, in short, we had a very nice evening with outstanding food - with very good prices for the Seychelles!
The restaurant is located on the "main street" that runs directly behind the long anse Volbert/cote d'or beach. Coming from west, you pass all the other restaurants like da luca, laurier, pirogue etc, cross a little bridge and then after 100m on the right, facing the beach you find the garden of La Goulue. The restaurant opens at 18:00 and when we came there many tables except 2 already had a reservation. All tables were outside but had roofs. I read many negative comments about the roof columns (20x20cm) in the middle of every table, for 2 thats not a problem, for 4 it is not too helpful, but shouldn't be too bad if u move your chair a bit to one side. Bad food and/or prices would be worse, at least for me.
We ordered a grilled red mullet (you can choose 2-3 fishes) with fries and a tuna steak with rice. With the drinks, Seybrew 50R, Coke 40R, we got a small snack as a starter. The time till we got the food was good, but we were also early guests. Later the staff got a bit more in a hurry, but no delays. The staff itself was friendly and took time explaining foods and dishes.
The food was extremely good. The sauces were so yummy I could take a bath in them! and the fish was exactly as ordered and very tasty. Even the fries were good and crispy, which is not the case in so many restaurants, unfortunately... the grilled fish was 185R and so was the Tuna steak, in total the bill was 460R for 2 main courses and drinks. We also heard our table neighbours saying the best about the fish curry - without even asking ;-) (best he ever had)... the fish&chips also looked nice and were only 130R.
For courious eaters: there is also fruit bat curry on the menue for 285R I think. Walking to the restaurant we saw these huge bats flying around and were too impressed to eat one of those... Anyway, this dish has to be pre-ordered with 25% down payment.
We stay on Praslin 5 nights and plan to come back 2 times due to the taste and very good prices.
I hope this was helpful for your decision, check also my other comments for Praslin and La Digue :-)

1  Thank Matthias K
Reviewed 5 March 2017

I had the fish and chips and had super high expectations because a guidebook had touted it as the best fish and chips in Praslin. It was a large portion of fish, I had to pay extra for tartare sauce, the fish was fresh, so it was certainly good but I would not consider it great. That said, food was delivered with a smile, and the staff were very attentive. Can't complain, just wish my expectations hadn't been so high walking in. Didn't have time to check out their Creole food.

1  Thank thriftyjetsetter
Reviewed 4 March 2017

The restaurant accommodated us for lunch even though it was close to closing time. The fish and chips was excellent.. although I really wanted to try the bat curry which was unfortunately out of stock.