“Just lovely!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

Visited the White House Inn at Penhallow for a Sunday carvery. Staff are lovely, friendly and take the time to stop and speak to you. I was visiting with a lady with learning disabilities and they made a real fuss of her, she loved it! The meal was gorgeous, just like a good homemade Sunday lunch.Three choices of meats and a vegetarian option. Suet pudding and Yorkshire pudding offered with stuffing and the works. This is my second visit, just great pub food. I will return as I know the staff will provide friendly service and great pub food. Thank you.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

Stayed here for three nights bed and breakfast in one of their lodges in September. The staff at reception were very friendly and welcoming. Our room was of a good standard. Spotlessly clean with a comfy bed, big flat screened TV and good sized bathroom with shower. They had tea making facilities which were a bit skimpy we thought with only enough milk for 2 cups of tea or coffee and no biscuits!

Breakfast is served between 8-9am at weekends and 7-8am on weekdays. A bit early for those on holiday. However, the menu offered fruit juices, cereal, yoghurt and various cooked options. We ordered full English which was cooked very nicely, but once again was a little skimped eg - 1 sausage, slice of bacon, egg, slice of toast etc. Even when we ordered egg on toast we only got 1 egg on 1 slice.

In the evenings we ate out in different restaurants so cannot comment on their pub menu.

All in all, I would say that it offers good average accommodation for the price and is in a handy location for north and south Cornwall, but feel it needs a bit of a face lift and a re-think of their breakfast menu sizes.

Reviewed 4 October 2016

I ordered the chicken with mushrooms and garlic for a main meal and when it came out you could not taste the garlic, there was hardly any sauce on it, mostly onions and the chicken was tough to chew through so overcooked in my opinion.
You could have a choice of rice or chips or a mixture but the presentation had no thought put into it. The rice and chips were on the bottom and the chicken, onions and garlic on top making the rice and chips soggy, the chips were quite black too. I had to add copious amounts of salt and pepper to the dish to get a taste. My partner and his daughter had burgers and left most of it because the burgers had been frozen and were soggy on the bottom. The bar staff were busy talking to other people while serving us so didn't pay too much attention. Never again.

Reviewed 25 August 2016

We arrived and were seated and warned that there was a fifty minute wait for food, no problem we had been out and about all day.

The staff were friendly but not over attentive, the food was well cooked and plenty of it, I opted for the mixed grill, others had the surf 'n' turf, build a burger and hunters chicken. All said afterwards that they could hardly moe they were so full!

Only down side, drinks prices £1.90 for a tumbler of 'coke' however a jug of iced water did the trick.

I'd go back, no doubt about it

1  Thank Falmike
Reviewed 17 August 2016 via mobile

The whole property and childrens play area needs some major attention this place was really good 20 years ago but nothing has changed bad under investment.
But having said that the beer was ok food was not fantastic and there seems to be a lack of care around with everything.
I think it has had its day if im honest and it will probably join the list of bankrupt pubs very soon unless there is a big change or some good investment then it could have a good chance of its former glory.

3  Thank Steven H