“Lovely hotel. Amazing staff. Didn't want to leave!!”

ClubHotel Riu Guarana
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Olhos de Agua
Reviewed 15 November 2017

Had a wonderful 2 weeks at Riu Guarana during October half term.

Atmosphere: 100% definitely this hotel has the best atmosphere of any AI family hotel I have stayed at. The staff are so lovely and you really get to know them. The Manager is always around and it feels like you are staying with a lovely big family. When I left I felt I was leaving a second home. It is a very relaxed place and everyone is always super welcoming and friendly and helpful. You never get the feeling that anything is too much trouble.

Entertainment: Definitely the best hotel entertainment I have ever experienced. I usually find this sort of thing pretty cringey but Matteo and his team are SO funny. Special mention to Brazilian Rafael. He is hilarious in everything he does and an amazing dancer. Loved watching him do the Aqua Gym classes (not that I participated in them)!

Kid's Club: The girls were really nice and this was the first hotel kid's club my son has ever wanted to go to so that's saying something. Unfortunately on many of the days there weren't really enough kids in there but that is probably because we weren't there in the high season.

Restaurant: Really lovely food. Good variety. Lots of salad and fresh fish. Very special mention to David. Lovely guy, really made a fuss of my son and kept him amused which was nice as my son can be a bit of a pain in a restaurant!

Housekeeping: My room was cleaned really well every day. Liked the rabbit (some debate over whether it was a lobster) made out of towels with eyes stuck on. Very cute.

Hotel: Lovely, decor all very modern, spotlessly clean. Pools really nice. Swim up bar not open in October probably. Only downside I would say of this hotel is that it doesn't have a splash pool with play equipment in. There is a kids shallow pool which my son played very happily in though. A splash pool with some slides, pirate ship type thing would really make this hotel perfect. Hotel has a disco which is entertaining and good for a late drink. Also means you can get a few more hours out of your AI drinks :) Also, the safes in the room are free. Aircon could have been a bit more forceful. I had a room on the 4th floor and had beautiful views of the town and the sea and the sunset. Rooms are very well soundproofed. Couldn't hear a thing from neighbouring rooms. Slept really well here.

Other Guests: Mostly families and some older people in groups with some younger people and younger couples. Very friendly bunch. Managed to meet quite a few people to have good laugh with made some new friends and have stayed in touch with them since returning.

Location: Very easy walk down into the village and the village beach. Takes about 7 minutes. All downhill. When I say hill it is basically a slope, not the steep hill I was expecting from some of the reviews. If you turn right out of the hotel you can walk to the other beach. There are wooden stairs down to the beach. Again, I didn't find it particularly difficult to walk back up them. Maybe depends on your level of fitness. Beautiful beach.

Bar: Last but definitely not least, the bar. Really good that beer and soft drinks are self service at various points around the hotel (also in the restaurants). Means you don't have to stand queuing for ages as I have experienced in some other hotels. Cocktails, Prosecco, all spirits everything on AI. Cannot fail to mention the bar staff, they are all so lovely. Nuno 'the peanut' is so funny, Julian constantly smiling he is so sweet. I feel bad to mention names because they were all great but I can't remember everyone's name. Also the really sweet young guy who goes around all day and night collecting the glasses. But the biggest mention has to go the wonderful, amazing, beautiful Valerio! VALERIO, VALERIO, VALERIO! Love this guy. Only wish i could have brought him home with me. What a sweetie!

Room Tip: Choose room with pool view and you will get a sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
8  Thank ARM791

Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for a week in July and it was the best holiday I've been on yet! The hotel was fantastic with very spacious rooms and bathroom. There were 3 separate restaurants within the hotel, all of which provided lovely food with a great variety every night. The hotel also offered free bottles of water from reception which is good to know should you need it. The pool and outside areas were great and nothing negative could be said about it. There is a night club at the hotel which although was never overly busy on the nights we went, it was a good laugh nevertheless. Last of all, the animation team were out of this world!! Never come across such lovely and funny people and it is so obvious how much their hearts are in ensuring everyone there has the best holiday. In the evenings also they put on some fantastic shows and entertainment which had everyone laughing! I could 100% recommend this hotel to families and couples alike and would hope to return at some point.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Cassie G
Reviewed 13 November 2017

Spent a week here in October, our second visit. The rooms have been updated, our room had a pool view, was large and airy and kept impeccably clean throughout our stay. Food was as expected in an All Inclusive resort, somewhat samey, but always something to eat. Drinks were perfectly acceptable, never had to wait too long to be served. The evening entertainment was not our cup of lea, so spent most evenings in one of the bars in town, about a 5 minute walk away, which had live music, lovely to just sit and watch the world go by. Never saw an unwelcoming, unsmiling or unhappy face in the hotel all week, the staff are a credit to the Hotel. Would probably return, but earlier in the season.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Chaz1953
Reviewed 8 November 2017

Sold as being an exclusive resort, this 4* was terrible and been in better 3* resorts.

If you paid £300 for a week, yes great value for money, you get what you bought. Anymore more than that and its robbery.

Food- all cooked from frozen (confirmed this with staff)
Alcohol-. Besides the super-bock the concoction of cheap alcohol provided was terrible
Sunbeds- Some issues never go away (couldnt get any)

The problem with this place is that it goes for the mass produced product, try to fill up all rooms at the expense of the customer experience, if you dont mind waiting for dinner, or eating poor quality food, drinks thats ok, and if I paid a low enough amount, I dont mind. But for the image that you are sold, and for the cost. It is definitely not worth it.

oh and quote unquote " we dont vaccum the floors of the rooms because there is no carpet in them"

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Ruben M
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at ClubHotel Riu Guarana, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2017

Dear guest,

Many thanks for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

We are committed to providing excellent quality of our products and services to our guests. We are sorry to learn that you left our resort thinking otherwise. We have sent your comments to the respective heads of departments involved and actions would be taken to address all your concerns.

We hope to get the chance to welcome you again at one of our RIU hotels in order to deliver the high standards of guest service and quality which are typical at our resorts.

With our best wishes we remain,

ClubHotel Riu Guarana
Online Reputation Manager

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

Stayed for 10 days on the 5th October. Reading negative comments on here really put me off !! Wish I hadn’t bothered reading them . This hotel and all it’s staff and surroundings is beautiful. Absolutely spotless in every corner . Food and drink was plentiful and great . Frozen cocktails are very strong but taste great . Local beer on tap 24 / 7 I think . The entertainment are amazing they work so hard and entertaining everyone every night can’t be east . The little nightclub ( late bar ) is nothing but when you want a drink it’s good enough . My room was amazing and beautiful and great sea views . The walk down to the little beach is a incline and walking back up can be gruelling in the heat but manageable . Local bus right outside the hotel and local supermarket about 10 minute walk away . We walked to villamoura took about 3 hours along the beach 26 klm there and back . Husband got a tattoo at Popeyes . He loves it and there owner was great worth a visit if you like tattoos . Loads of trips to do and loads of car park spaces if you get a car hire . No cats or dogs in the area nothing to spoil your stay . Just a great place to go and 100% will go back .

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2 km away
Alfagar Aparthotel
Alfagar Aparthotel
#13 of 152 in Albufeira

Been to ClubHotel Riu Guarana? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.