We choose this hotel for our honeymoon due to the alledged five star rating given by both Jet2 holidays and thomsons, and also due to its location between Villamoura and Albufeira.
The first thing you notice on arrival is only 4 stars on the hotel sign. Bad start.
First impresions were good the staff were friendly and helpful, the hotel spotlessly clean and our room was ready on arrival despite arriving early. Initially the room looked great until we opened the curtains to reveal a view of a main road and some wasteland, despite requesting a sea view room on booking the holiday. The beds are dreadful too, dont expect a double as the hotel doesn't have ANY, just twin beds pushed together, and the matresses are rock hard.
We asked to move to a seaview room, and as previously mentioned the staff were again very helpful and moved us as soon as possible, to a room with a seaview that smelt of vomit. Again the staff quickly remedied this on complaining. A special mention must be made to the cleaning staff who did a fantastic job for the duration of our stay.
The hotel is also not fully open yet, only the main restaraunt and bar, the grill/asian restaraunt and two pool bars and snack bar were both shut, and the childrens area appeared to have been shoe horned into the main bar area, resulting in childrens entertainment at 8pm in the evening when you should be relaxing. This is not stated on the holiday description/literature when booking.
As a result of these closures only the main restaraunt remained open, which was a major dissapointment, as was the food. Plenty of choice but became really repetitive and bland within a few days, which resulted in us eating out for most of our 10 day stay, a big let down after choosing all inclusive.
The internet service is slow, unreliable and costly, 5 euro for an hour is a rip off for a sub standard service.
On one day we requested an early breakfast due to going on an outing for the day. On arriving in the restaraunt the only choice was cereal without milk, lukewarm water for beverages, and stale rolls to be filled with meat and cheese that had been left uncovered all night.
Entertainment, as has been mentioned on previous reviews, is more of an excuse for the in house entertainment team to massage their own enormous egos. Consisting of camp miming and arsing about on stage, in what can only be described as a poor mans Benny Hill show.
The sunday evening live duo were excellent however.
A few positives, the bar and restaraunt staff were great throughout, friendly and efficient. Hotel cleanliness was spotless at all times.
In summary a really nice hotel in a good location with great staff, let down massively by lousy beds, bad food, facilities not being fully open, an 8pm childrens show in the main adults bar and bad enterainment. Would not stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opened summer 2008. Located in Olhos d'Agua in the Algarve. 6-Storey main building and 2-storey annex building. 15 Minutes' walk from Praia da Falesia beach. Access to a small cove from the hotel Riu Palace Algarve is via cliff side steps (an approximate 10 minute walk). 8 Km from Albufeira. 500 M from various shops. 35 Km from the airport. 500 M from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Amex, Visa, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Guarana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clubhotel Riu Guarana Albufeira
- Clubhotel Riu Guarana Hotel Albufeira
- ClubHotel Riu Guarana Olhos De Agua, Portugal - Albufeira