All reviewsgiritale tanksri lankaswimming poolhotel is locatedcomfortable staylovely hotelexcellent viewbuffet dinnerroom was clean and comfortableone night staywild elephantstwo nightskaudulla national parka la carteshort stayricelake
Reviewed 22 August 2017

We booked a room to stay on 19th august through agoda.com by viewing their room conditions and photos. We booked a room with a balcony. When we checked-in to the we realized that it was not with a balcony and just a narrow windowpane. So we complained to the front office and their answer was, if we need a balcony room then we have to mention it as a special remark when booking. Then I asked, why do we need to mention it specifically when it is already there as a room feature and display in photos in the site? Since we were not satisfied with their answer they have directed us to their manager, and even he was not polite enough to accept their fault, instead he put blame on #agoda and completely ignored our complain. So without further wasting our time we decided to bear the situation without spoiling our weekend.
And the best part happened NEXT…. next day Sunday morning, I was at the bathroom having a shower and heard a sound from back and clearly saw someone peeping through window mesh. I quickly came out and there was a staff member outside the room. I scolded him but he rejected my complain and also said there were no any other person in that area. But I’m 100% sure someone was there and I clearly saw him. Anyway, immediately I informed the manager but as before he just listened and no any action taken on that. Even no apologies…So this is the pathetic situation how our Sri Lankan hotels treat locals. This might happened the foreigners also.
Mind you we were very disappointed with the experience and I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sampath D
Ganeshan T, General Manager at Giritale Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

Dear Sampath, with reference to your comment we apologise during your stay what you have experienced. We gave a good room with the view since all the balcony rooms were sold out. We had a full house on that day. Further we normally screen staff before recruiting and in the inquiry it reveals he was innocent and the bath room window is more than 10 feet from the floor. This type of complain is the first time we have experienced.
However we invite you to visit our hotel and experience our service.
Thanking you.

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

Great spot with amazing views, rooms a little dated. But typical of standard in Sri Lanka. Pool has great views of elephants. Food was good, and staff attentive. Great for visiting national park and seeing elephants and buffalo. I would stay here again.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thanks for your comment dear Jonathan. Please visit us again enjoy the natural beauty of our hotel.

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

A lovely hotel with spectacular views across the lake and valley, great place to enjoy a drink and unwind on the balcony.
Rooms clean and spacious.
Good restuarant serving buffet and a la carte.
Swimming pool and free wifi.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Dear Guest, Thanks for your comment of our hotel and i like to see you again..

Reviewed 18 July 2017

Has an amazing view from the restaurant area and some of the rooms. An old hotel but still is good to spend some time and tour the surroundings. Food was generally good and staff was pleasant and helpful as well. Some rooms lack the space but some were pretty good.

Room Tip: Top rooms have an amazing view of the lake
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2017

The room we were given was a little congested due to the amount of furniture pushed in. It could have been made a little more spacious. The bathroom though small was neat and the towels large and clean. The soap provided was perhaps the best I have come across in my many years of travel. They have a wonderful seating area where you can relax with a drink and have a wonderful view of the surroundings. The dinner was routine stuff though, however the breakfast more than compensated for it. They have a variety of drinks to choose from on the menu but all of it may not be available.
It is better to check what is available before placing an order.
They good provide for a better quality of tea in the room. I do not recall seeing coffee packs in the room. We ordered for two cups of coffee and were served with tea instead. Small mistakes in an otherwise comfortable place with very friendly staff and managers. A stay worth remembering and if possible a place worth revisiting

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family