2,096 results
All reviews main restaurant blue vanilla junior suite beach boys all inclusive package main pool african restaurant stone town our honeymoon seafood themed nights bar fridge hakuna matata low tide recommend this resort palm trees african night
Reviewed 4 July 2016

The resort has a lovely beachfront for swimming when the tide is in. Pool area close to beach. We enjoyed our stay very much. A variety of foods served, but the menu is repetitive. Best food at the burger & wrap beach restaurant - also very good tandoori chicken. Staff friendly, polite and helpful. Cocktails, water, drinks, snacks served throughout the day from Cocosnuss Beach bar - the pancakes were a real treat.
The room was large and nicely furnished. The bed was large, but uncomfortable (hard, thin mattress and lumpy pillows should be replaced).
All in all a very nice stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Michael F, Manager at Dream of Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2016

Dear Ronel, Thank you for choosing the Emerald Dream of Zanzibar and for your beautiful review. All the team is delighted to read you had a wonderful holiday with us enjoying the beach, swimming pool and our various facilities. Looking forward welcoming you back to the Emerald Collection Hotels.

Reviewed 1 July 2016

It's very difficult for me to review my stay.
On one hand, the hotel is beautiful, the views are stunning.
The all-inclusive with wine & drinks was very nice.
Very nice pool and beach (although note that most of the day it's low tide, we only could swim in the morning and evening).
Some of the staff are very friendly.
However, some others were not, and even quite rude - which kind of dampened
our experience.

The food at the buffet (main) restaurant was not great. I got stomach ache (though my wife didn't). It does happen to me sometimes, but the whole week before that we were on Safari in Tanzania and everything was fine. During our stay in Zanzibar we only ate in the hotel, so.

We tried to eat dinner in the "special" restaurants to avoid the buffet. You need to make a reservation in advance. I knew that from the reviews here; however, during check-in I asked to make a reservation, and was told that it was not needed. I asked again to be sure. When we showed up at the restaurant in the evening, we were told that we should have made a reservation and there's nothing they can do. Imagine our disappointment.

There was an incident at the pool when an umbrella fell on my head very hard. Took me a few seconds to recover. Amazingly, no one from the staff came to ask if I was ok. That was even more shocking than the hit from the umbrella.

On the other hand, we mostly did have a nice time there, and the grounds and the room are very nice. We will not be returning though.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Michael F, Manager at Dream of Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2016

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for choosing the Emerald Dream of Zanzibar and for taking the time to write your review. we are delighted to read that you had a nice holiday with us, we appreciate your feedback about our team and the food and we will use your comments to improve our service. the hotel is situated on the east coast of Zanzibar which is effected by low and high tide that is changing every 6 hours. we are happy to know that you found our hotel beautiful and the views are stunning. we hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the Emerald Collection hotels to provide you with a different experience.

Sincerely.

rm@dreamofzanzibar.com
+255776565669

Reviewed 1 July 2016

I had a wonderful honeymoon in Dream of Zanzibar hotel! I'm very pleased with all the provided amenities. I wish I've stayed longer than 8 nights.

We were received with champagne and fresh fruit in our room, and the room... you can see the photos! Wonderful view to the beach. I was lucky though, there are rooms that don't have any view. You have to ask for that rooms when you make the reservation. The room also had TV but... who cares? I don't, it was my honeymoon, didn't watch any TV. Don't forget to leave the air conditioned always on and windows closed, to drive off the mosquitoes.

The staff members were impeccable, very nice people. At the (private) beach or at the swimming pool, there was always on member of the staff asking if everything was ok, or if we need any more drinks. Please, don't ask for cappuccino's like you're living your daily working day: do yourself a favor and ask for some cocktails to drink by the swimming pool and... enjoy! We don't get to be in places like Zanzibar every single year. You could even ask for a fresh coconut, right from the tree, and drink its water!

The hotel has 5 restaurants you can choose: sea food, asian, african, italian, and international food. The african food is excellent but very spicy, if you're not into that kind of food.

I really enjoyed it and hope to go back there some day :)

Side notes:
1) You cannot exchange money in the hotel (EUR <-> USD) and there's no ATM machine also. My advice is to carry some extra money, even if you think it's too much. You have a safe box in the room and you can leave there your valuable items.

If you run out of cash, you have to go to Stone Town (1 hour by car), and once arrived, go to the ATM machine and come back.

2) There are lots of vendors at the public beach in from of the hotel, desperately trying to sell anything. From local handcraft to excursions/tours, you need to have some cash with you (if you want, of course, but they will not rest until you buy some souvenirs to your family and friends).

3) US dollars are largely accepted in Zanzibar. Nothing has a fixed price, everything is negotiable, even taxi transportation to Stone Town. I've managed to negotiate a trip from the hotel to Stone Town, and back, for only 40$.

4) You can buy tours / excursions at the beach from the local vendors. It's much more cheaper than buying a tour in Stone Town. At the beginning I had some doubts, and trust issues, but after 2 excursions, I gave up and saved a lot of money.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Pedro, Thank you for choosing the Emerald Dream of Zanzibar and for sharing your experience with us. we are delighted to know that we were able to make your honeymoon wonderful and to read your comments about service and team. Looking forward welcoming you back to the Emerald Collection Hotels.

Reviewed 1 July 2016

Was an amazing experience being at Dream of Zanzibar. We had an amazing get away and wedding:) We had our wedding on the beach at the resort and everything was organized just the way we wanted it. All thanks to the staff and management who were great!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for choosing the Emerald Dream of Zanzibar for your wedding and for your beautiful review. All the team is happy to know we made your wedding special and memorable. Looking forward welcoming you back to the Emerald Collection Hotels.

Reviewed 29 June 2016

Our overall experience was very nice. Although the room, furnishing and service could be of a higher standard, we were not too fazed about it as we knew we were not going to spend a lot of time in the room. All other facilities and services were however great, and that for us is what we wanted to experience.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Michael F, Manager at Dream of Zanzibar, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2016

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for choosing the Emerald Dream of Zanzibar for your anniversary and for sharing your experience with us. we are glad to know that you had a wonderful holiday we appreciate your feedback about the rooms. we are happy to read your enjoyed a lot our different facilities. Looking forward welcoming you back to the Emerald Collection Hotels.