“Scared of heights?”

Mirador del Abrante
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Agulo
Cuisines: Spanish
Reviewed 14 August 2016

We visited this restaurant as part of a trip to the lovely island of La Gomera. It is situated on the edge of a cliff 1,800 feet above the village below, and it has a section which juts out over the cliff and which has a glass floor!
There was a sign which said a maximum of 8 people at a time and as there were far more than that on it already I didn't go on it-well that's my excuse anyway.
The food was good, each table had a bottle of red wine but you could opt for white if you preferred. There was a set meal of smoked salmon, followed by watercress soup, a choice of fish or chicken, and a sort of cheesecake to finish. The food was delicious, the service excellent, and as an added bonus we were treated to a demonstration of the whistling language the inhabitants of the island used to use to communicate over the vast height differences in the valleys.
A unique experience and not to be missed if you visit the island.

1  Thank BobClaireRebecca

Reviewed 7 August 2016 via mobile

We visited as part of a tour group and so weren't expecting much but the three course meals were excellent. The views over Agulo are stunning and the glass balcony is a must

Reviewed 30 July 2016

From the Short Isle
Well known as a nation of Nomads it comes as no surprise to find an Irishman or woman in a remote part of our planet. From Abbeyshrule via Gandia and Cercedilla to the sleepy village of Agulo on the peaceful island of La Gomera is no mean feat but it makes sense to some. You see there are two C’s in Cercedilla but no sea so, after suffering several severe winters there, I decided it was time to get back to my roots and to relocate to an island where the weather is King and tranquillity reigns supreme. I’m referring to La Gomera, the second smallest island in the Canarian archipelago where I now reside after a momentous sea change.
On my children’s advice I sold what I could, gave away what I couldn’t and left Cercedilla with two medium-sized suitcases, what I stood up in, and precious little else bar my passport, wallet and mobile phone in case I got lost again!
I booked one way tickets well in advance with Ryanair and Binter Airlines, total amounting to less than one hundred euros and waited impatiently for the day of my departure to arrive. My previous experience with taxi’s, aeroplanes and transport in general left me a little nervous but I surprised myself and my kids by arriving at the door of my new apartment in Agulo without the slightest bother. True, I had been on a reconnaissance mission during April and was most fortunate in finding the quiet hamlet of Agulo and a goodly number of locals only too willing to rent their surplus properties. Many of the older inhabitants had made it good from the 40’s onwards when the Gomerians exported huge amounts of bananas and tomatoes around the world. As soon as other countries got in on the act the locals sold up and emigrated to Venezuela after a ferocious storm destroyed the two main northern ports in 1952. They chose Venezuela because many of their fellow islanders had followed Columbus for the sheer delight of it. The tradition persists to this day and, like us Irish, they can be found at the four corners of the wind.
Across the sweep of the strait, Mount Teide rises majestically over Tenerife and the entire archipelago surrounding it. From my balcony in the last house in the village I can see the sun rise across the sea just to the left of Teide. With the acquired knowledge of my short stay here in Agulo I’m already attuned to the whims of the Atlantic, the warm waters of the Gulf Stream caressing the archipelago and the cooling trade winds blowing across my chosen Paradise. This may also account for the presence of dolphins as well as sperm, pilot and finback whales throughout the year especially in the waters around La Gomera and El Hierro.
Just an donkey's roar along the winding road is the village and valley of Hermigua, voted “the best climate in the world” by the University of La Laguna as recently as 2007. Unlike the south of La Gomera the surge of the Atlantic must be respected if considering a cooling swim. With care and attention to the swell one can enjoy a leisurely swim in Playa Hermigua, the more protected beach of La Caleta and the slightly wilder Playa de Valhermosa in the true north of the island. Fishing off the rocks is a much-enjoyed pastime, a way of life for some, though even greater care is needed in the pursuit of same. If it were easy I suppose everyone would be at it. A bit like making potato bread as Tess used to say, though hers was unforgettable once you got over the colour and the initial taste.
As with most discerning hippies of the 60’s and 70’s the more remote a place was the better it appealed to them. Thus places such as Goa, Mojacer, Ibiza, the Canaries, especially La Gomera, drew them like Kerry supporters to an All Ireland if the Kingdom was playing. Now that most of them are millionaires, having sold off their converted barns, farmhouses and caves to the nouveau riche, they have spread their wings and flown to new horizons.
Séamus Mac Aogáin

1  Thank Séamus M
Reviewed 28 July 2016 via mobile

The View is amazing , the food was nice, the Service fast and friendly. And we Loved the Canarian Whistle concert.

Reviewed 24 July 2016

Restaurant with amazing view. Didn't expect the food to be as good as it was. Really good food and service was good too.