All reviews spa treatments concert hall rooftop pool kids activities perfect retreat hiking and biking tennis courts bavarian alps the general manager main restaurant buffet restaurant piano bar stunning hotel great spa junior suite cultural events lounge chairs
Reviewed 27 March 2018

I’ve been almost everywhere, I’ve stayed in some of the finest places, and Ive never stayed in a place even remotely like Schloss Elmau, a resort and spa nestled deep within the picturesque Bavarian Alps. So much more than just a resort, Schloss Elmau is a cultural hideaway which hosts artists from around the world; every few nights would present a line up of incredibly talented musicians or illuminating talks, such as the former head of the World Bank discussing the politics of the world. For us, this was an incredible place of rest and relaxation with impeccable spas and selection of top notch restaurants. Professionally trained staff with incredible heart made for delightful service and an easy and smooth administration process. Their rooms, view, and vibe were all exquisite and their extracurriculars (including cross country skiing, snow showing, dog sledding and more) were organized by well trained professionals. It was a pleasure to meet the grandson of the founder and current owner, Dietmar Mueller-Elmau whose enlightening conversation added to the depth of the experience. The General Manager, Nikolai Bloyd and his team were also of the highest order and infused with the Elmau spirit, which is something you can’t describe but only experience. And to top it all off, all of this for such a great value.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2018

Dear FinnieF,

thank you so much for the kind review. We always try to make sure that all of our guests enjoy as much as possible during their time at Schloss Elmau.

Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

Just spent a few hours here for a business meeting. Yet the service attitude, the attention to detail and the nice rooms, made this a very nice stay.

I will definitely return - also the great nature surrounding the hotel is worth exploring it.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank HanniHannover
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Dear HanniHannover,

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your short stay in the business setting. Although we do not regularly host business type events, when we do, we want to exceed all expectations on every level. We look forward to having you return to Schloss Elmau in a more vacation oriented trip and please do not hesitate to contact me with any request prior to your next arrival.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

I'm not a person who stays at luxury resorts often--but I have been to a few in the US--so my response to the levels of pampering and service at places like Schloss Elmau is usually a combination of pure awe and slight awkwardness. All that said, Schloss Elmau is unlike anywhere I've ever visited: the employees were attentive but not overly so, the spa(s) were exceptional and still comfortably subtle, the food was incredible, and the grounds were worth the trip on their own. What I want to stress, though, is the soulfulness in what feels like the purpose of this retreat--that is, a place for relaxation and indulgence, but also one for the elusive joys of quietude, interiority, and simplicity. I hope, of course, to visit again soon.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank SeanL1581

Dear Sean L,

You NAILED IT! Thank you not so much for the review, but for feeling our goal, for feeling what it is we try to provide for every guest. The idea behind Elmau is a place that feels familiar, cozy and helps our guests get the most out of the few days they get with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly prior to your next booking.

Reviewed 10 March 2018

We stayed there for one week at the end of last year during the Verbier Festival week. That was really a charming stay.
Schloss Elmau is a huge and busy place but customers do not suffer from it, at least those staying at the Retreat like we did.
Rooms are big and very comfortable with large sitting places and a very convenient working desk. The one thing they could improve is the heating system. The room was probably over 25°C when we came in and it took us 4 days to get it down to a normal temperature. We were told the hotel's owner is afraid of clients getting cold. Bad luck he is not also afraid of clients getting too warm.

The whole place is cosy and quiet, the service is certainly on the high side of 5 stars with extremely kind are caring people, at least at the Retreat.
There are good restaurants, although we were disappointed by the Fidelio Thai restaurant (but that might be personal taste) and could not make any reservation at the Michelin one star restaurant that was already fully booked during our stay.
The location is wonderful, we saw it in winter, with snow, and it was magnificent. No doubt we will be back.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KUSNACHT
Nikolai_Bloyd, General Manager at Schloss Elmau, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2018

Dear KUSNACHT,

I want to thank you for the visit and ensure you that I will work on the temperature in your room prior to your next arrival:)

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly before the next booking so that I get the chance to personally thank you for spending your holiday time with us in the Alps!

Reviewed 21 February 2018

The beauty of the location and the resort cannot be understated, it was breathtakingly beautiful and managed to keep us mostly happy even with all the disappointing things below. The service from staff was generally at a very high standard and the spa’s were incredible! We don’t feel like our overall experience was positive due to the issues below so we wouldn’t recommend Schloss Elmau unless we learn from friends that things change in the future, specifically with regards to the food.

The majority of food served at Schloss Elmau is not close to 5 stars by global standards in my 20 years of travel experience. The 'La Salle' buffet is definitely below standard. Compare the quality of any of the meals served by the 'live cooking stations' with other 5 star hotels (most of my experience is with the Hilton chain) and you'll immediately see the difference. I had a piece of duck one evening that was so overcooked it was inedible. At breakfast I ordered an 'eggs Benedict' that was again dry and tasteless. On top of that both myself and my wife found the chef at the live cooking station rude. Once he tried to joke with me inappropriately and on a separate occasion he got irritated because my wife asked him to package my sons food in something to take away. La Salle was such as disappointing experience that if I was to return I would not go there again.

We dined at the fondue restaurant which served good cheese fondue, I don't think it was exceptional but it was good enough. However we ordered some ice-cream for desert and were astounded to receive a few balls of icy ice-cream i.e. it has defrosted and been refrozen in a thick glass. The presentation and quality was embarrassing.

Lastly we decided to dine at the family restaurant in the the retreat on the last night and I repeatedly asked the reservations desk if we would have a table to sit at and was assured that even though we had to sit in the lounge that we would have a table suitable for dining. Instead we had to sit at a coffee/tea style table where our legs couldn't go under the table and the table was so low that eating was very difficult. We ordered the wagu beef burgers and they were inedible, completely dry. Considering their cost (€30) this is a disgrace. Finally the service at the family restaurant was so slow that my family left to walk back to the schloss half an hour before me whilst I waited around for the bill.

We were extremely disappointed to discover on the first day of our holiday that the child care was not running the advertised kids creative programe for children. We got our kid really excited about the programme (playing in the snow) and went to the reception at 11am to join the group. When we got there nobody was there and the reception said to wait. At around 11.15am someone told us that we needed to go to the kids room for 'kids creative'. So we go there and they persons working there told us that they couldn't do the kids creative programme because the two other kids there didn't have their snow suits and therefor couldn't go outside so it was cancelled. So we cancelled our plans and spent the day outside with our kid. Then on Friday we again went to the kids club to join the 'kids creative' programme only to be told this time that it was cancelled because there were too many kids and not enough staff. In the end we felt the childcare was very disappointing compared to what was promised.

During our stay one of the internal doors (we had a 2 room family room) starting making a loud clicking noise at around 11pm. I called reception and they said this was caused by a low battery and that they would come fix it immediately. Nobody came for 15 mins so I called again. Again nobody came for another 15 mins. I called once again after which we had to wait 30 mins whilst two people attempted to fix the door. This whole incident was very badly handled and caused us to have to stay up much later than we hoped.

Overall we had high expectations and left mostly disappointed. Perhaps it was once a 5 star resort but until they improve their food and childcare I can't recommend it.

Room Tip: Unless you have kids I would stay at the new retreat, the rooms are much bigger and more modern.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank Nick P

Dear Nick P,

Thank you for the recent visit to Schloss Elmau. It is very important for us to get feedback, both positive and constructive, otherwise we can not improve on the experience we are trying to offer. I am sad to hear that although we try to offer each guest an amazing stay, we clearly fell short with your stay. Please take the time and contact me through my email below, I would like to personal be your contact for the next visit, should you choose to trust us with you valuable vacation time. It would mean a lot to assist you with this regard, as I feel that you did not receive the Schloss Elmau experience you deserved!