We did a tremendous amount of homework going into this vacation and choosing this resort in particular. Our primary interest was to get a weeks worth of serious down time and we most certainly got what we were after!
Not sure there is a need to repeat what many others have said that is good about Cocobay but there are a few things that I think we came with that need mentioning:
1. The resort is as advertised regarding the quality of the experience. You should not be disappointed if you do your homework and understand what this resort really offers.
2. The staff is in fact exceptional starting with the manager O'Neal who handled an overbooking situation on our arrival with the utmost professionalism, courtesy and generousity. Very friendly and courteous staff top to bottom!
3. Most surprising was the quality of the food. We are not big travelers or gourmet cooks by any account but we can say each of the meals were unique, interesting, healthy and all with great presentation. Breakfast probably the most tradtional, but lunch and particularly dinner had very much a local Caribbean flavor.
4. Having had the experience of a room on the hill our first night and then moving to the ocean front room with pool for the rest of our stay I think it is fair to say there probably aren't any "bad rooms" in the resort. The views in all directions are spectacular. Never used the AC and the ceiling fan was perfect for comfort.
5. The beach and the views are all what you see in all the photos on this site and the Cocobay site with the weather being consistently warm and sunny. Truely a slice of paradise!
6. I read a lot about bugs in my pre-trip homework. Not sure if February is the off season for bugs but I came away without a bite and my sweetheart with only a few. We came "loaded for bear" with some serious bug sprays but they never came out of the bag. The staff tells us the bugs are there so travel prepared.
7. We are pleasantly surprised by the cost of items we did buy at the resort. Not what we would consider at all expensive.(Water/gifts)
8. We aren't big drinkers but what we had was very good and the bar staff was very personable. Nice having one of the staff drift down the beach with a tray of refreshments a couple of times a day.
9. The new pool is beautiful, nicely located next to the beach and has a bar.
10. The dinner on the beach where I proposed to my sweetheart of ten years was elegant and couldn't have been any more romantic......"Thank you O'Neal and our hostess Ronella!!!"
11. I need to say that the locals on the beach who offered jet ski, horse back riding and other activities really did add to the great experience of staying at this resort. Good folks who aimed to please and priced reasonably.
Lastly, this was my first trip to the Caribbean and was not totally sure of what to expect, but I can say we found both the resort and locals we encountered to be very "American friendly" and accomodating. The value was excellent and the resort truely did exceed our expectations!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Antigua's most romantic all-inclusive resort - Cocobay is a colorful collection of pastel cottages crowning a breezy hillside undulating down to two white-sand beaches and miles of turquoise Caribbean Sea. Blessed with some of the most dramatic ocean views on the island, we cater to couples seeking a romantic getaway in a quaint, natural setting. Guests can choose from 57 private, authentic, Caribbean cottages and 4 plantation houses each enjoying a private verandah with striking sea views and custom designed wooden furniture. The premium pool cottages provide the very best oceanfront locations, and other amenities such as: private plunge pool, more spacious interior including extra seating area, air conditioning, bathrobes and other extra bathroom amenities, private balcony with adirondack chairs and hammock, ceiling fan, mini fridge, shower, hair dryer, espresso coffee machine, iron & ironing board, king size bed with pillowtop mattresses and high thread count 100% Egyptian cotton sheets, in-room safe. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Cocobay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cocobay Hotel Bolans
- Coco Bay Antigua
- Cocobay Antigua
- Cocobay Hotel Antigua
- Cocobay Resort Antigua/Bolans