“All the Comforts of Home”

Tranquility Bay Antigua
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bolans
Haverhill, MA
“All the Comforts of Home”
Reviewed 23 November 2010

We stayed in Tranquility Bay timeshare from Nov 6-13th. This is our 3rd trip to Antigua and our 3rd trip to Jolly Beach which Tranquility Bay is located on. This was our 1st trip to Tranquility Bay. We have stayed all over the Caribbean. Antigua is our favorite island and we always come back every other year. Tranquitlity Bay is located next to Jolly Beach Resort and shares pool, entertainment, and non motorized water sports with Jolly Beach. We had a 2 bedroom timeshare. We were not able to have anyone stay with us so it was VERY large for just the two of us. The bathrooms were big. The master had a double sink (although a little bit small), and a tub and shower combo. The 2nd bathroom had a walk in shower. The master bedroom was huge about double the size of our master at home. We had our own laundry room with washer, dryer, hamper, iron, and ironing board. 2nd bedroom had 2 double beds (we closed this off and shut off the a/c in this room). Kitchen had a full size fridge, stovetop, microwave, panini maker, blender, coffeemaker. Kitchen was a good size. There are no ovens at this time, but plans to put them in sometime in the near future. We didn't want to cook in the oven anyways so that was fine with us. Small dining table that would fit 4. Large living room with TV (no flat screen yet...but plans in the very near future), stereo. The balcony outside is huge and will sit at the table at least 6 people. We LOVE this location because it is close to a lot here. Large grocery store is within walking distance...someone will take your groceries back with the cart and then you tip them..I tipped about $5. Restuarants are within walking distance at the harbor (near the grocery store). Peter's was delicious and Melini's for Italian was really good too. We also grabbed a taxi to OJ's that we really enjoyed and have been too as well. Be forewarned the taxi to and from OJ's will run about $30. Take the bus into town for St John it is $1 each way!!
We went to the beach most days as the best is one of the best in the Caribbean. Plenty of papalas...just get out and reserve one a little early in the morning. Water is usually very calm here, but the hurricane stirred things up a bit while we were there. The view is amazing...cannot even tell you how unbelievable it is. We stayed at Hawksbill Resort for 3 days prior and the beach and view was not nearly as good as Jolly Beach. We went back to our timeshare each day to to make lunch...just a 2-3 minute walk away.

Things you should bring if you are staying at Tranquility Bay:
Soft sided collapsible cooler - to bring to the beach for drinks and snacks. I forgot this and had to buy one.
Travel Mugs - if you want to make frozen drinks to bring back to the beach...bought these too. Castaways is right near the papalas and you can walk and buy drinks and food there too...but why buy it if you have it already in your timeshare?
Small clothes detergent packs and dryer sheets if you plan on doing a wash.
Sponge - I always bring my own and use it for dishes as I don't like the dish towel they provide.
Salt and Pepper and Sugar - you don't want to have to buy that there too. I bring my picninc shakers with me in a plastic bag each time I go to a timeshare.
Tea and Coffee packs - I don't buy that ever either...always bring it with me.
Sealable plastic bags - gallon and all other sizes to store things and some saran wrap too...I had to buy that forgot the saran wrap. My smaller bags held all the shells I collected for my niece on the beach too.
Bug Spray - I have never needed this the other times I have been, but I cannot tell you how many times I got bit. We bought some while there. Also bring cortisone or anti itch cream so you won't have to buy that either. I travel with a small pharmacy so I never need much.
We did the Wadadali catamaran cruise again...this is our 3rd time doing this. I cannot tell you how much my husband and I enjoy this. It is without a doubt my favorite thing to do. The crew is fabulous and really want to make sure you have a good time. Food is good for lunch too. We also did Shirely Heights on Sunday night. We have only ever done it during the day to see the view. What a great tiime on a Sunday night with the food and steel drum band. You only need about 3-4 hours here. Make sure you get here before the sun goes down (get here before 5p). The view is amazing and presents a great photo opportunity. We also did the Isle of Barbuda for the 1st time. WOW!!! 17 miles of totally uninhabitated beach...far as the eye can see. The bird sancutary was really something too.
We enjoyed Tranquility Bay and Antigua so much that we bought timeshare here. Yes it needs a little updating...they are slowly working on it, but the economy has not helped. They are also putting in a pool and restaurant at some point for the timeshare only. Which will be nice for us to have our own pool. Although the 2 pools at Jolly Beach are great too. Till next year when we return again...I will just dream. Tell Sherman hello...he will take your bags too your room. Not easily forgetable...everyone knows Sherman!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank telenurse
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Turkish first
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolans
12.8 km away
0.9 km away
Sugar Ridge
Sugar Ridge
#2 of 2 in Jolly Harbour

Been to Tranquility Bay Antigua? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK