“Lovely hotel - shame about the birds”

Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Dover
Bath, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel - shame about the birds”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

My wife and I have recently returned from a weeks stay at the Turtle Beach Resort. This was part of a cruise package with Thomson holidays. The resort is very well laid out in grounds leading to its own white sandy beach.It is not a huge rambling complex and when we were there, although busy, was not at all noisy. There are two swimming pools with one having a children's section and an outdoor jacuzzi which was as warm as you'd expect your bath at home to be.
Our room, which was on the ground floor was very spacious well appointed, and with the biggest most comfortable double bed we've ever slept in. The bathroom was spacious with the hottest water we've ever experienced in any hotel.
There are three restaurants in the complex. The Asiagos has Italian cuisine and you will need to book if you want to dine here. We did not avail ourselves of this so cannot make any comments. The Chelonia restaurant was within the main body of the hotel and was the restaurant we mainly used. It provided buffet breakfasts and evening dinners and the food was always of a high standard and always hot. The restaurant is open to the front which unfortunately allows the birds in and fly around. We thought this cute at first but soon realised that it could constitute a health hazard when we saw them landing on tables and pecking into left over food which hadn't been cleared away and pecking into the sugar bowls and milk jugs and of course on one occasion with one leaving its 'calling card' on the back of my wifes blouse. This is perhaps our main criticism
The Waterfront restaurant is farther on towards the beach and again open aired. Again the food was of a high standard and again always hot.
The entertainment is primarily low key and music orientated but it starts around 8pm when many people are still eating and ends at 10pm. There's nothing to do after other than drink in the bar. We felt that it might be better for it to start and finish an hour later. Don't expect any late night discos as you'll be disappointed.
The beach was of white sand but the sea was quite rough and we would suggest only suitable for strong swimmers and certainly not for young children. Apparently the resort is on the Atlantic side of the Island not the Caribbean hence the state of the sea.
Captain Sam's watersports look after all the beach activities from jet skis, Hoby cat sail boats, kayaks and sunbeds. One good point is that when you arrive at the resort and register, you will be issued a small plastic card which can be exchanged for a beach towel from Captain Sam's beach hut for use on the beach or around the pools.Just leave the card in a basket, take your towel, return your towel when you finished with it and reclaim your card from the basket. No need to pack a large heavy towel in your luggage !
Would we recommend the resort? Yes for comfortable surroundings and a laid back relaxing place but no if your looking for late night entertainment and clubbing.

Room Tip: We had room 114. It was on the ground floor, had a reasonably sized patio with a table and two chair...
3 Thank Neil F
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2012

The hotel and staff were excellent - all very friendly and attentive - our glasses were never empty. Food was of a very high standard and the Italian restaurant was gorgeous! It was a shame the rain came in the middle of the holiday and it did mean we were a little stuck for anything to do except read in the room or lounges and eat! The only small thing which wasnt a huge issue is that the poolside area (the sunbeds in particular) were not always kept very clean - although we did have beach towels to cover them.
I would say to any families with small children that the wind is very noisy and strong on the beach area and the sea is rough. It is very easy to get burned there and the wind blows alot of sand about. I didnt have my 2year old with me but if i had this may have been an issue. Children are probably better around the pool area which is lovely. Would definately come again and my only complaint is that the British weather followed me and we would have liked a second week!

Room Tip: Rooms in block 400 towards the beach are best for missing the evening entertainment noise.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I just wanted to make a point of adding a comment about the very poor reviews some people have given. These are very misleading and unfair. The whole complex, facilities, service could not be improved. The ONLY downside I could find was the choppiness of the ocean, not great for small kids, and only for strong swimmers.

ALL ROUND FABULOUS PLACE, WILL CERTAINLY BE GOING BACK !!!!

Room Tip: Make sure it is an Ocean View.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank KillickFamily
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Long time reader, first time reviewer.
This resort is lovely. This is our first time returning to Barbados after a 17 year hiatus. We had heard bad things about our last resort (which incidentally closed last week, some travelers were moved to our resort so we were happy we didn't make that mistake!), and decided we wanted to try a different part of the island. As everyone states, the grounds are lovely, the rooms well appointed and clean, the bathrooms spacious, the water VERY hot (no worries about cold showers at this resort, in fact, you may get scalded!), the food was consistently good (though not great or gourmet - it is a buffet or mass produced, after all) and the staff very friendly and accommodating. Captain Sam's water sports - the entire staff - truly makes the resort an enjoyable place to while away a day. Take them up on a catamaran/Hobie Cat sail - it's free and they do all the work! :)

That being said, this resort is for those looking to relax. Do not expect any late night activities or crazy entertainment, though several of the singing acts (8-10pm) were amazing. Perhaps you can get this nightlife in St. Lawrence Gap which is right outside the resort walls to the East, but besides the pool and beach, activities are slim, which was slightly disappointing considering the old resort we had stayed at had a game room with a pool table, darts, and other things to occupy yourself with other than just lounging at beach or pool. Great for spending a day under the shade reading books for hours on end, though.

It is a family friendly resort but having the kids around wasn't a problem as everyone was well behaved and spread out enough where you weren't in anyone's way. And in response to other negative responses, the pools were cleaned every single night and looked very clean. They will be the only acceptable place to play with children, especially small children, in the water due to the condition of the beach.

Speaking of, the one thing we were not aware of was the surf is consistently rough at this location of the island, with a strong east-west current. Don't expect tranquil, crystal clear water lapping at the beach - it's actually very reminiscent of the New Jersey Shore or other major Atlantic coastlines of the US, and was rough all 9 days we were there last week, though one full day and a morning it was calm enough for strong swimmers to go snorkeling a bit (I am a strong swimmer and the waves weren't an issue but the battering does get old after a while). The sister resort in St. James, Crystal Cove, has the placid, tranquil water and marginal snorkeling as it is on the lee side (west side/Caribbean side) of the island, whereas Turtle Beach is on the south coast where the ocean currents run from Atlantic to Caribbean creating swells. I had hoped to do some floating on a raft with a drink or some snorkeling, but it just wasn't possible.

Crystal Cove is an equally lovely, though much more hilly and smaller resort than Turtle Beach. We went for a day trip, and you can use your all-inclusive package there, as well, so the only cost is $120 Bajan/$60 round trip cab cost to and from the hotel. The watersports team and beach staff is not as nice or accommodating as Captain Sam, which was disappointing, and there is practically no breeze on that beach, and it gets VERY HOT in the sun, and even in the shade. (Turtle Beach has a constant and lovely trade-wind breeze that keeps it very comfortable, but also contributes to the surf.) It's definitely worth a day trip to see, and a nice change from Turtle Beach, but in the end, as we were traveling with older adults, we were glad we hadn't booked there, because of the elevation changes and amount of stairs. We also noticed fewer families there probably for the same reason (not stroller friendly).

All in all we were very pleased. Not ecstatic or overwhelmed, hence only 4 out of 5 stars, but I'm quite confident you will be able to have a nice, comfortable and relaxing holiday at Turtle Beach.

One last thing, I am very sensitive to and persnickety about water (I don't drink my own tap water without filters and don't even drink filtered water visiting my parents home only 3 hours away from my house). I tend to only drink highly filtered or bottled water, yet I drank the tap water and ice cubes all week with nary an issue. Take comfort in knowing though it is a foreign country, the table water is perfect! Have a great vacation!

1 Thank KTO344
St. James
Reviewed 29 April 2012

The awesome staff at Turtle Beach deserve all of the credit for making my surprise weekend one to remember, and much talked about by my husband and me. Upon check-in, I was advised that I could speak to the Executive Chef about my vegetarian (mostly vegan) diet. And so I did! Donald and Tracey came to our room and developed a meal plan with me based on what I needed and wanted. How awesome is that?! Sure enough, they kept to their word in the 6 meals to follow. The wait staff were also awesome and totally on the ball as we just had to show up and would be very kindly advised to indicate when I'd like my meal - which was always expertly prepared, flavoured and presented.

The housekeeping staff was warm, efficient and unintrusive - which one appreciates on an anniversary weekend. I felt truly special and very spoiled...but the thing is, Turtle Beach does this for every guest! We WILL return! Thanks Turtle Beach!

Room Tip: Room 2321 (where we were) overlooks the pool and has an ocean view...very spacious and quiet.
1 Thank Judi C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dover
0.2 km away
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
#8 of 26 in Saint James Parish
14.9 km away
The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa
The Club, Barbados Resort and Sp...
#10 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK