Holiday booked with Mercury, 3 hour stopover in Dubai, good idea as it broke the journey. Emirates fantastic, could not fault any of the 4 flights.
Collected Rupees at Mauritius airport (quick and east) and set off for Jalsa Beach in the pouring rain. Travelled with friends, just the 4 of us in a mini bus.
The hotel is set in beautiful gardens and is mostly peaceful. In the middle of nowhere which is what we wanted.
We were greeted by the great reception staff and after a drink in the pool bar we were shown to our room. Rooms are clean and spacious with plenty of storage space, tv and dvd player. You can borrow dvd's and books from reception.
Our welcome meeting was delayed by 2 days, the rep was only interested in selling trips and would not give info on local buses or car/bike hire. After asking at reception, we discovered the brilliant Local Buses!!
The buses are mostly very old and tatty, with unusual artefacts at the front, eg a blow up plane, christmas decorations, plastic flowers and a model of the Eiffel Tower!! The conductor had an old fashioned ticket machine and the music (reggae, rap, house etc) is loud!! The bus goes fast, very fast and is driven by the horn!! Amazing!! Travel is cheap, 25 ruppee (about 60p) for most journeys.
Over our 2 weeks we bumped and rocked along to Flacq market, Pampelmousse Botanic Gardens, Trou d'Eau Douce and the beautiful island, Ile aux Cerfs. So cheap and easy to do. We were always the only British on the bus!! Do it, its so much fun!!
Other days were spent enjoying the sun by the lovely pool and gardens, with a stroll along to the next beach. There is no snorkelling off the beach, and very few fish if you go off the boat .
The food is amazing, choice of 3 vegi curries every night and also lots of meat and salad. Ice cream is available, but you have to ask!! Also the supermarket in Flacq sells cornets in amazing flavours, 2 scoops, for only 35 ruppee (75p)
Staff in the restaurant are lovely and quickly got to know us. We liked to have a drink before dinner but were not keen on the pool bar, we had spent time there during the day and after dressing up for dinner we felt it was a bit casual.
The Dodo bar is beautiful, with a massive balcony overlooking the hotel grounds and the sea, It has lovely furniture and tables.. Sadly it is not used. We were disapointed that after dinner, the only option was to go back to the pool bar. This is the only thing that I will moan about, to have such a lovely facility, have a strict dress code, then sent people off to a pool bar does not seem in keeping with the rest of a great holiday. Evenings are very quiet at JB with most people in their rooms by 9pm.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the gentle shores of the Indian Ocean, Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa overlooks a turquoise lagoon with stunning mountain scenery. Found along the North East coast of the tropical island of Mauritius, at Poste Lafayette, Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa is the perfect choice for those looking for a peaceful and relaxing holiday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa - Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jalsa Beach Hotel And Spa - Mauritius
- Jalsa Beach Hotel & Spa - Mauritius Poste Lafayette