1,441 results
All reviews washing machine rooftop pool sister hotel studio room second home fridge freezer private beach reception staff breakfast room separate bedroom shuttle bus sea breeze sunset bar uncle nans kitchen area home from home small kitchen
Reviewed 11 December 2010

I will keep my review short.
We stayed here in December 2010. Its a nice hotel, however it is no more than a 3*. The hotel was a really good price, and i was happy with it for that price.
But please please if you are staying here, research the area properly. It is at least 20 Minutes drive from ANYWHERE, and 40 minutes from Patong. There is a lovely beach and nice view, and about 3 shops and a bar - Thats it. Its very nice if you want a quiet holiday, but there is no where to walk to at night, and no entertainment at the hotel, even the Cape Panwa hotels entertainment finishes at 11. At 600 baht (£11-12ish) taxi, every night to somewhere to walk to, or somewhere nice to eat, it gets expensive.
To summarise, if you want somewhere close to civilisation, with things to do at night, spend a little extra - go to karon beach, the nicest part of the island.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy17898
Reviewed 8 December 2010

We stayed here for our honeymoon in a single bedroom - sea facing room upgraded on arrival. We had been given a nice honeymoon cake on arrival and an easy check in. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. They have regular buses to their sister concern hotel Cape Panwa where there is a beautiful private beach to enjoy. The only trouble with this hotel is this is very very far from all the site seeing places and the city. Overall on quality of hotel i rate this very good.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2010

My Boyfriend and I decided to stay here for two weeks after reading it's already amazing reviews for my birthday and all i can say is it really lived up to all the good feedback left.
We were upgraded for free as it was my birthday during my stay and the room was massive with great facilities, we had a big balcony looking out to the swimming pool and sea, a large sitting room with flat screen TV, a kitchen area and separate bathroom and bedroom. The rooms were cleaned to a high standard daily, though sometimes we would return to our room at 4pm and it hadn't been done but that’s the only fault i could give. You also get full access to Panwa Bay (5* sister hotel) and the private beach and pool and any events that take place you will get invited to.
The staff are amazing so helpful and smiley and remembered our room number after seeing us once or twice which i was really impressed with.
I would recommend all the hotel restaurants both here and at Panwa but they are pricey, if you’re looking for cheap but great food the Sea Breeze and Sawasdee are just around the corner and don’t put the tax and service charge on top afterwards like the hotel restaurants.
The only other advice I would give is don’t book taxi’s from the hotel as they are really expensive, there’s always taxi’s outside you can haggle with, but definitely use the hotel bus service to Patong and Phuket towns as they are really cheap.
Finally If your booking excursions use Happy Tours which is along the front near the supermarket, as they are happy to negotiate to your budget if you book several and are really helpful, punctual and friendly. And definitely try one of the massage places there, they are unbelievable as is Thailand, I had an unforgettable holiday here.

Reviewed 1 December 2010

I agree with the last few comments, this is a great place to stay and the staff can't do enough for you - we didn't get the towelling elephants tho :0( ! We had a one bedroomed accommodation and couldn't believe the full sized kitchen - a great bonus. It was clean and very comfortable, with a huge balcony overlooking the sea and one of the pools - and with amazing sunsets.
Having the sister hotel to use was a complete bonus, the beach was wonderful and great to swim in when the tide was right - they give you a list of tide times which is really helpful. Breakfast was more than adequate very good selection, everyone was catered for. We didn't eat in any of the Kantary Bay "eateries", but did have a wonderful lunch and the most amazing bar B Que at the Cape Panwa Hotel. We mostly ate locally and think we tried most of the local places and all were good but we did have a couple of disappointments in restaurants we'd eaten in regularly and found our favourite was really Swazadee which is just outside the Kantary Bay. Here the food was consistently good. The Indian was brilliant, but expensive.
We weren't looking for nightlife, but there was a lack of places to go with a bit of atmosphere. The best was The Lighthouse at Cape Panwa Hotel, but it really needs to be a bit larger. The other hotspot was "Sunset Bar" - they don't serve food, but very hospitable and a good place to meet people. Free wifi in the hotel lobby was great, but the charge of 100 bahts (about £2.14 at todays rates) for 15 mins on the internet we thought was a bit high considering our daughter staying in Chang Mai was paying 30 bahts for an hour !
We really enjoyed staying here and I think the main negative is that there is not much to do or see locally and to get into Phuket town by Taxi it costs 500 - 600 bahts round trip (£10.50 - £13) - we didn't think Phuket had much to offer, but perhaps we went to the wrong area? To get to Patong it was 700 bahts one way (£15). Patong was quite something else - we found it totally mad, but very interesting - but glad we weren't staying there ! A real bonus was the shuttle buses - the one going between the hotels was great - "Cardiac Hill" has been named correctly ! The hotel transport to Phulet and Patong are good value and a shame they were not more regular. To be honest we were a bit surprised at the cost of everything, especially as we compared prices with our daughter who was in Chang Mai at the same time and the prices were incomparable. Perhaps it is because Phuket is an Island, but it was far more expensive that we anticipated - also the exchange rate is not good for the £ at the moment.
We only did one trip which unfortunately we did not enjoy. We do a lot of boat trips when we go away, but this was the worst experience we have ever had. We booked to go to Phi Phi - cost 28,000 bahts (£60) each. We were collected and taken to a port where we were "herded" into large speedboats with about 40 people. There were about 14 seats outside at the front, but we were inside and there are no windows. During travelling you only had the people opposite to look at and the first part was about 30 mins - very boring. The first beach to feed the fish had so many deckchairs and people it was crazy and we all had to stay together an eat together (the food was good) - we found this a bad experience. The other stops were just as bad, in fact where we stopped to see the limestone caves we were unable to see them because you have to climb on the chairs and to view outside and you had to be on the otherside of the boat - where it was too crowded with passengers viewing to get a look. Maya Beach was awful. At least 30 speedboats spurting out clouds of diesel fumes, plus other boats with loud music, and hundreds of tourists, it has been totally spoilt - I feel it was a disgrace to let this happen to this beautiful place. The trip back with the only views being the other passengers was about an hour. Dreadful day ! Personally if I did another boat trip I would avoid the big speedboats and the popular touristy islands. (We were told that Banana Island behind Koh Lon island was a good trip and worth hiring a longboat to get to it - coral Island was also meant to be good - but you need shoes as the beach coral is sharp)
All in all we had a great holiday and both Hotels were really good, the reception staff at the Kantary were brilliant. For us two weeks was enough as we are used to getting out and about a bit more (and more cheaply). Locally there was only one shop selling clothes/bags (apart for the hotel shops) but in the evenings there are often a few stall holders that set up along the seafront. There is a taxi company outside the hotel, but we found a brilliant guy (Kohad Deebud) up the hill opposite the Raddison and his charges were lower than the ones outside the hotel, and he was a brilliant guy. We hired him a few times and he was great - he really made our days out with him. (and no upselling)
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel but with the exception to people with mobility problems. Both hotels have steps everywhere and I do have joint problems and at the end of the day the steps up to reception were looking like a climb up Kilimanjaro ! However, I really did enjoy my time and very glad we visited this place. I don't think we would return mainly because we like a bit more to see and do locally.

Reviewed 28 November 2010

I have just come back from the Kantary Bay Hotel and had an amazing time. I cannot recommend this hotel enough:-

Rooms - On arrival we were allocated a room on the ground floor. I asked if we could have a sea view and they changed our room with no fuss at all. I am so glad we asked as we were given a room on the third floor over looking the bay. The view was AMAZING! We saw some beautiful sunsets and it really made our holiday that little bit more special. We stayed in a one bedroom apartment. We were more than happy with it. The furniture was a little dated but it didn't matter at all and it was always kept clean by housekeeping.

Beach - The beach at the Cape Panwa is ok - nice to look at but there is a lot of coral in the sea which is sharp under foot. I would bring shoes to wear if you're planning on swimming.

Food - Breakfast was ok if you're used to huge all inclusive buffets you may be a little disappointed but there is ample food and we always found plenty to eat.

Restaurant wise we loved Sea Breeze, Saswasdees and the Italian Nans.

Location - a bit out of the way but we actually prefered this. I have never been on such a relaxing holiday. I am so glad we picked here rather than Patong. If you want a night out you can always get a taxi there. Locally there is an aquarium (100 baht entry) - worth a visit. There are also long tailed boats lined up by the aquarium which you can hire. We paid 1600 baht for the day and went to coral island - which is worth doing. You can go with the Cape Panwa hotel which is cheaper but we wanted the flexibity so paid extra. Also the price is for the boat so if there is a group of you going it would work out cheaper to arrange yourself.

Massages - I really reccommed the lady half way up 'Cardiac Hill' She is the one in the traditional thai hut with the fish than nibble off your dead skin on your feet. I visited a few places (including the cape spa) and found her treatments by far the best. She is also qualified unlike many of the other massage places and she is such a lovely lady.

Trips - We went to see James Bond Island at Pnang Nga and also the Phi Phi trip. We loved both of them. One pointer though - many of the Phi Phi trips finish off at Khay island. I would avoid going there like the plague. It is just a stretch of sand with 1000s of umbrellas. Its like Blackpool beach on a summers day. Bit of a con as you spend 90 mins there and have to pay use the chair. A magnum ice cream costs £4 - yes £4!! (180 baht) I i were to do Phi Phi again I would try and go on a trip which only goes to Phi Phi.

We loved the Kantary Bay and would definitely recommend it to couples and families.

1  Thank beckybennett101