“Great little hotel”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Cape Panwa
portsmouth
“Great little hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

We stayed at this hotel from 28thJan - 15thFeb. We had a great time. Our room was a garden room with a Jacuzzi. We were only slightly over looked by the walk way to the other part of the hotel because we had lots of vegetation blocking the view of us. We did not skinny dip, just went in in our swim suits. We had stayed in the sister hotel a few years ago and had been told about the Kantary Bay for guests that wanted a longer stay. This hotel was the cleanest hotel I think we have stayed in, and we have been all around the world. You could eat your dinner of the floor if you wanted to. There are areas where it could do with a face lift, the bathroom was a little tired, and the kitchen was old fashioned. But for the price you are paying it was very good. We stayed by the pools rather than go up to Cape Panwa as I do have walking issues. Most days we had the main pool to ourselves, is that not what you dream of in a holiday. The gardeners should get a prize for the gardens, my highlight was getting a picture of a open lotus flower with a praying mantis on it! cool. The happy hour cocktails were cheaper in the hotel than in the local resturants. We did have a problem one evening in Uncle Nans resturant. We had a meal which was a l'a carte not on the fixed price menu. I had chosen sirlion steak (which I did not know was also on the fixed price menu that night) it was tough as old boots, very grissley with lots of fat over a quarter of the steak. I just could not eat it. I did not complain, just left it. When the server saw that I had not eaten it she asked me why? I said poor quality not good. She got the manager his name was 'jean marie' he asked me why I had not eaten it and I told him. He asked if I had the fixed price steak or a al'carte I told him a al'carte (690 for my steak vs 720 bart for the whole fixed price meal). He intimidated that sirlion was like that, fatty! yes I agree it does have a trim of fat along the top, but not over a quarter of it. I got the picture that because it was on the cheap menu perhaps there had been a mistake and I had been given a cheap one?! but to blame the customer, and suggest I didn't know my steaks was bad. Poor management skills if you ask me. He said we have a BBQ on Friday at cape Panwa come a long. I was put off by his offer as I did not want to pay for another meal that could have been of poor quility. We did use the laem Panwa in Kantary bay, the fish was lovely, very fresh. Don't be put of paying by the kilo for the fish it was really good.

We did use the local resturants and they were great, very good value for money. Don't go to sea'breezes unless you want to spend your holiday waiting for your food, we went twice first time we waited an hour and half and the second time they forgot us and it was an even longer wait, twice was enough for us.

The 'English Indian' by the nail bar was poor. The chicken tikka should have been medium and was hot. The butter chicken should have been medium and was very mild, so don't know what was happening there, or perhaps our local Indian is so good you can not better it?

Sawasdee was fantastic! good cocktails and the food was great. Slight problem in that some people still seem to think its okay to smoke in resturants sat right next to you! not good. They should be made to smoke outside not at the tables, that was the only downside. The food was so good we still went back and did not have a problem again. Sabai sabai half the way up the hill was okay as well.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HolidaysRUs10
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bacup, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Our stay at the Kantary Bay came at the end of a three wekk holiday in Thailand. We had already enjoyed the hustle and bustle of Bangkok and Chiang Mai and the quite of this part of Phuket came as a relief.

We were surprised to find so many people enjoying extended stays of 2 and 3 months. Many of whom had 'wintered' here before.

The Studio Room offered everything we needed and more, though we did not make use of the 'kitchen' the crockery and utensils came in useful when we decided to snack at lunch time on fruit etc. The only downside, I couldn't watch TV in Bed because of the layout of the room, but as my wife told me why come all that way to watch TV.

The room came with all the usual amenaties including safe, tea and coffee making facilities in addition to the pans and cooking facilities already mentioned.

Everything was clean, and the staff were attentive, though the shower could have done with being re-tiled. The grout in areas was black and need a good clean, and half way through the week they had attempted to do this with bleach, but it was not 100 percent successful.

We stayed in a Studio Room the Buidling with the swimming pool on the roof. We were on the fourth floor, room 434, which had a good view of the sea to the left over the roof of the ajoining building, however those unlucky enough to be on the lower floors only had a wall to look at from their balcony, these would be rooms with even numbers. All the odd numbers overlooked the immaculate gardens.

The swimming pool was perfect, and often under used. There were plenty of sun beds and umbrellas. I noticed a scum line along the water level which was not cleaned at all the week we stayed. A scum line is inevitable with people using sun cream and oils, but it is a bit off putting when it remains for a full weeks stay.

The Kantary Bay facilties are excellent, and the breakfast varied and substantial. I must compliment the management on providing PERFECT CRISPY BACON, and a separate platter of 'soft' bacon. Combined with HP brown sauce thuis made for a perfect breakfast.

The sister hotel, The Cape Panwa on the other side of the peninsular was more 'upmarket', with a superb sandy beach, perfect for bathing and worth a visit. We were spoilt for choice between the pool at the Kantary and the Beach at the Cape Panwa.

We booked our holiday with Premier Holidays in the UK, and there was a misunderstanding regarding a complimentary evening meal offered in their brochure. The Tour East Rep. asked on our behalf but took the initial refusal to honour the brochure offer because of the wording as the final word. I made direct contact with Premier Holidays, and to their credit and the credit of the Management of the Kantary Bay we got our complimentary evening meal.

All in all a good choice and we would return

Room Tip: Studio Room in the Kantary Bay View Building (the one with the swimming pool on the roof) avoid the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Bobbrittania
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

Stayed here in Feb 2012 with my wife and 2 small children. Hotel needs some updating here and there, but for the price paid is a superb value. Room I stayed in was spacious and clean and had a very large comfortable balcony with a sea view, and also had a very useful small kitchenette. The staff was extremely friendy and attentive to our needs. Understand some of the rooms on the inside parts of the hotel are not as nice (view onto the hallway, dark, small) so definitely worth booking a higher grade room. Note that the beach located is at the swankier and more expensive sister hotel - a short, free ride away via the hotel bus. Hotel was extremely generous to us in providing a day room for us to use free of charge on the day of our check out (after we had checked out of our regular room). I'm sure not a regular service they provide but seeing that we had 2 small children they were extemely gracious in providing us/our children with a place to rest in the midday heat. Very much appreciated. By the way, there was also a free welcome drink (including beer).

Room Tip: Definitely book a higher grade room with balcony (for example room 201A), its by far worth the extra...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank greywolfmeister
Truro, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Stayed in Jan 2012, hotel facilities were nice , especially with use of the beach at their sister hotel , just a walk or free shuttle bus ride away. Reception staff were friendly and breakfast was good. The room (suite) we stayed in was clean and had a kitchen but was slightly tired looking.

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cornish-scrumpy
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

We returne for our second holiday and hasd a fantastic time. We are already looking forward to next year.

Room Tip: The restaurants in the hotel are very good as are the local restaurants The best one is Sabai Sabai...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
13.4 km away
Mandarava Resort and Spa
0.5 km away
Sri Panwa Phuket Luxury Pool Villa Hotel

Been to Kantary Bay, Phuket? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK