“Fab fish pie !”

The Plough
Ranked #10 of 69 Restaurants in Redhill
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 34
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Plough is a traditional English pub, built in the 1600’s, situated within 50 yards of St Johns Church in St. Johns, Redhill in Surrey. The Plough retains many of its original features with its low ceilings, wooden beams and original flag stone floors, and Open log fires in the winter months. The Plough food menu includes The Blackboard Menu, Bar Menu and Summer menu (during the summer months). There is a large garden with a large wooden purpose built undercover area with heating and lighting and a separate Heated Smoking Hut. The Plough has regular events such as the Wednesday pub quiz, as well as hosting events for those special occasions We are a dog Friendly Pub and welcome all dogs with water and dog biscuits, ideal after your walking. The Plough is situated close to many beautiful walks including Earlswood Lakes and Redhill Common. Children over 10 years are welcome if eating with parents and all ages welcome outside. There is a heated undercover area for al fresco dining
Reviewed 18 November 2017

Went on a Friday night for the first time - friend chose the pub to meet up - neither of us had been to The Plough before. It has a lovely, warm, cosy, atmosphere. Both of us chose the Fish Pie and must say it was the best fish pie I've had in a long, long time. Tasty, piping hot, lots of chunky pieces of fish and a generous portion. Very comforting and satisfying, especially on a cold, dark evening. I cannot rate the rest of their menu unfortunately being the first visit. Well done Chef and I do hope you will never change this recipe.

David S, Owner at The Plough, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2017

Thank you for your review, we hope to see you again to try some of our other dishes.

Reviewed 23 October 2017

We ordered the basket meals based on the fact my son had eaten there before and commented on how good it was. Sadly those days are gone. £8.95 for 2 sausages and a handful of chips. Whichever way you look at it, it was very poor. The same dish full of chips is £3.95. Remove half the chips and add 2 sausages and charge you £9. The female staff were cold and not welcoming. Not sure they know what customer service is.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

This used to be such a friendly pub and I have fond memories of going there years ago. We recently moved back to the area and friends were coming round to visit. I had tried to book at the Joshua Tree as I knew this to be family friendly but their chef was on annual leave for the week. So we headed to the plough instead. Our experience couldn't be worst. We arrived to read the hostile sign stating "no children under the age of 10 under any circumstance" allowed into the pub. It was unfortunately a rather cold day and raining. I asked one of the very young bar maids why this was, (our friends have a very well behaved 4 year old and an 18 month old) and the girl said, I dunno, it's just the rules. We were therefore asked to sit outside under the wooden framed hut, with two other family's who I also believe won't be returning. When I went inside the pub and dinning tables were empty apart from the usual old men propping up the bar. I asked again is there was no way that we could come into the warm, only to be told absolutely not!
We ordered our food and sat shivering outside waiting (me rather red faced with embarrassment at dragging our friends here), when the food eventually arrived it was cold. It's such a shame that this pub hasn't moved with the times. The other local pubs that serve food are heaving with people for Sunday lunch. This place however is dead. They don't allow children (not sure what they think they will do) but they do allow people's smelly dogs to bother you while you eat. We have had that on occasion when my husband and I have been there in our own. It's a beautiful pub with a real old charm but we won't be going back under the current circumstances unfortunately.

1  Thank littlegibster
Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

The Plough has a real warm, homely feel and a pub that we will always return to...

The staff are very friendly, the food is proper pub grub and it's perfect for a few drinks on a Friday night or at the weekend..

The pub garden is nice too and I like the fact that no children are allowed!

Management response:Responded 4 October 2017

Thank you for your kind review, I will pass on to our team here and I hope we keep providing the warm homely feel for future visits.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

I keep going back because I like the menu choice but the bar staff have no customer service. They really need training on how to speak and treat customers. They seem more interested in what appears to be their regulars drinking pints and not those wishing to eat.