All reviewspool access roomgrand pool villapool barice bucketdeluxe roomjohn's gardenair conthai architecturelocal restaurantsan updatelate checkoutour honeymoonstayed here for nightsegg stationfire showmain poolplenty of sun loungers
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My other half and I stayed her for about 10 nights at the end of a pretty long trip around Asia and Australia in order to completely wind down before coming home.

As the other reviews have alluded to, it is a bit isolated and out of the way but I found that to be a bit of a bonus. The noise and drunken idiots of Chaweng do not really do it for me so this place worked out quite nicely.

It was nice to be welcomed with a drink. A nice touch was a scrolling message behind the reception welcoming all the guests arriving that day individually!

We had a room in the main hotel, we're not quite rich enough to have a private bungalow! The room though had its own terrace that led to a lap pool. Another nice touch I thought.

We were there during the Thai festival of Sonkran so that was good fun to get involved in. The staff were all evidently enjoying themselves during the day and I suppose if the staff are happy then the guests are quite likely to be happy too!

I have only two gripes about our stay. There was a wedding party also staying whilst we were there. It was a large group with people over from Australia and the UK. It may well have been inadvertant by the staff but their attention and was monopolised by the wedding guests and so the other guests were sometimes ignored. My other gripe was having to regularly wait in excess of 10 and 15 minutes for a drink in the evening once it had been ordered!

Try the two restaurants on the road into the Mercure Samui hotel and you won't be disappointed.

Finally, we stayed there when it was still called the Mercure Samui Buri, I don't know if anything has changed as a result of the name change.

Room Tip: If you can, pay extra for a bungalow.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dan542
Reviewed 28 May 2012

First off, the room (pool villa) was one of the best I've stayed in, lovely and big, the bathroom was excellent, the bed comfortable and the pool was a decent size and very private. (However, some of the pool villas are not so private - we were in 124). The only small downside was that the aircon was a bit noisy.

The gym was pretty disappointing, e.g. 3 out of 4 bikes were broken, no towels in there, air conditioning not sufficient. Many people won't be bothered by this though!

The pool bar was nice, and we enjoyed cocktails there, although irritatingly they seem to let you smoke in the pool at the pool bar, which was frankly disgusting (NB/ I smoke...).

Anyway, the main problem I had with this place was that the food really just wasn't up to scratch. I would equate the breakfast to the sort of thing you would expect in a budget hotel in the UK, although it was somewhat saved by the egg station it gets a bit monotonous eating eggs every morning because everything else is ropey (fruit was often old, the cooked food had been left to congeal for hours, the cold meat was pretty poor standard etc). Food in the restaurant for the evening meal and on the room service menu was no better, and some of it was frankly inedible. The service was fine, but I thought the standard of the ingredients and the quality of the cooking was very very average. Really if somewhere is going to call itself 5* then the food should be pretty good. It wasn't, and I was really disappointed. You can sort of deal with this by just popping out to the restaurants just outside the hotel which are relatively cheap but reasonable standard, however there are only a couple right on the doorstep and we found ourselves having to get a taxi into bohput or chewang to get better food.

I wouldn't go back unless they did something radical with the food, which is a shame because the rest of the resort is excellent.

Room Tip: Some pool villas have the pool at the front of the villa in full sight of the main paths through the resort. Also there is a derelict resort next door on one side which is a bit offputting. I can't advise which rooms are affected but 124 was definitely not.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Iwannagobacknow
Patrick B, Manager at Samui Buri Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Samui Buri Beach Resort. I am sorry to find that your experience did nit meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Samui Buri Beach Resort, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropiate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate your sharing your concern, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Warmest Regards,

Patrick Boonyen

Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2012

This was the perfect place to come and unwind after 3 mental days in the capital(Bangkok).
Staff were ueber friendly and willing to help you in any way, even if it was just for a lift to the local 7-11. The resort was clean and tidy and serviced on a daily basis. Infinity pool was fabulous over looking Ko Phangan. One thing I will say is that the cocktail Happy hour should be extended! 1hr is simply not enough. I have been all over the world and on average these are a minimum of 2 hours or more! All in all a lovely peacefull place to unwind and relax. If you are looking for a lot to do i.e entertainment, pubs clubs etc then I would suggest Bo Phut village or really noisy and Bright Chaweng Beach.

Room Tip: Although the Garden villas are exclusive, next time we would rather a room with the lap pool. The "private" pools are enough to just sit in and I imagine are purely for appearance rather than swimming in.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Mr Shane Langdon (assistant GM) looked after us and Miss Wanapa is the best reservations manager in the world!
rooms are super spacious. restaurant is fantastic and great value.
we like the rooms with the lap pool that runs along the front.
our family have also stayed here and also love it.
beach is great too

Room Tip: alll rooms are wonderful, we think some of the best anywhere
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Melody777
SamuiBuri, Manager at Samui Buri Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Hello Melody777,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our resort. I will be sure to let both Shane and Wanapa know about your positive comments.

We hope to see you again on your next trip to Koh Sami!

Kind regards,
Samui Buri Beach Resort

Reviewed 24 April 2012

After a week in busy Phuket ,Samui Buri was fantastic .Great staff great service .We ended up eating there most nights by choice .You can walk a little way up the beach if you want your own space

Room Tip: Ask if the private pool vila is private and sunny
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple