“Extremely unfriendly online booking system”
Review of Disneyland Hotel

Disneyland Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Chessy
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I'd seen comments from Internet pertaining to the unfriendly online booking system from the hotel. I'd like to share my experience here too. When I booked the room from their official Disney website, it showed US1217 per night. After they charged my credit card for this amount, the system never generate any hotel booking confirmation to me. From the online booking screen, there was a contact number to call. When i spent considerable international call charge to contact them from Singapore, the staff was so rude and kept denying the possibility for their system to go wrong, without solving my problem. (well, i had printscreen from my laptop that their system showed hotel rate as US1217 when i did my booking, what else gonna deny?!! and my bank also charged the amount to my credit card already.) With disappointment & upset, I hang up the call. After a few days i contacted the hotel directly (instead of the number shown on online booking service at their website). Luckily, the hotel staff named Vanessa assisted me to solve the booking issue. Of course they charged me again for Euro1211 per night. So they basically charge me twice for the same stay with different currency and amount. Of course the excess charge (US1217) was refunded through my credit card in the following month. And luckily my credit card limit is still manageable. I sincerely hope Disney management can admit their error and improve their poor booking online system. I can tolerate this kind of situation if it is 3 star hotels but based on the rate this hotel charge, it is absolutely unacceptable! I think a normal 4 star hotel online booking system is still better than this one.

Understand there are a few hotels nearby, but to avoid the crowd and trouble to queue for shuttle bus in such a cold weather, this hotel is the choice. It located just next to the theme park. I enjoy the convenient to go back hotel for washroom (instead of using theme park toilet and 'fight' with the crowd).

As for the hotel room, the facility look a bit old, definitely not worth the room rate we pay. However, I'd say we pay for the location, the convenient to the theme park and appearance of the Disney characters. It is true (like other comments from Tripadvisor) that you seldom see any characters greet around in the theme park. Even it appear once, long queue will make your 'photo with character' a tiring experience. Therefore, the merit for staying in this hotel is Mickey, Minnie, Donald Duck, Dale etc always conveniently appear in the hotel and you can shoot whatever photo as you like. I am Disney fans, so overall i'm still very happy spending my time here.

Room Tip: never use their online booking system from the official website, call the hotel directly and they ca...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FairyMantra
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

We have recently returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel & resort. We travelled as a family of 3, myself, my husband and 3 year old daughter.
Our stay here was nothing short of magical - my husband and I are very familiar with Disney World in Florida, and so were a lttle unsure of how the Paris version would measure up, especially having read some reviews on here that were negative.
We booked a standard room and stayed from Sunday Jan 13th - Wednesday Jan 16th 2013.
We travelled by Eurostar from Ebbsfleet and arrived in Disneyland at 2pm. We stopped by the Disney Express desk and checked our bags in to be taken to our hotel room - they told us our room would be ready from 3pm, and our bags would be in our room from 4pm.
So off we went to the park, had a fabulous time - returned to the hotel to check in at 5pm. The location of this hotel cannot be emphasised enough - it is exactly at the park entrance, meaning that the entire length of our stay we could be in the parks and then back to our room within 5 minutes - no hanging around for buses etc. As we were travelling with a 3 year old, and the weather was very cold and snowy whilst we were there it was perfect. We could pop into the hotel for a rest and a hot chocolate (fabulous!) and be back out there 5 minutes before the parade/fireworks etc.
When we checked in the check-in clerk did try to give us a room that was a long way from the restaurants and included the use of 2 different lifts, however when my husband said he would prefer for us to have a more central room as we had a small child the clerk was all smiles, and more than happy to give him a choice of other rooms that were available, showing the various locations on the hotel map. (To bear in mind though - we were travelling in low season, so not sure how easy this would be if the hotel was full!)
We found all the staff friendly, smiling and paid lots of attention to our daughter, who was dressed as one of the princesses for the majority of our stay! This ranged from the staff in the gift shop, the bar, check-in, maids. I cannot understand anyone who said they encountered rudeness here as we neither witnessed nor experienced anything of the sort!
Our room was large, 2 double beds, beautiful en-suite bathroom with double sinks etc. It was beautifully clean, and the maids always left extra chocolate gold coins on our daughter's bed when they came to do the bed turning-down service.
We used the swimming pool which was great - lovely fluffy towels, floats etc available for children to use if they wanted them to play with, warm jacuzzi - all fabulous!
The Inventions restaurant which is the breakfast restaurant each day was wonderful - we asked for a window table each day and were never disappointed - looking right into Disneyland park as we ate. Outside the breakfast restaurant each morning from 8am-11am they have characters to welcome everyone, have pictures/sign autographs etc which my daughter (and us adults!) loved. They spent lots of time, personalising autographs and doing lots of "fun" shots - much more time with each character than you got in the park. I believe if you stay in a suite (on a different level of the hotel) you get a full-on character breakfast each day, but this was more than sufficient for us - they had a timetable up as to which characters were going to be there at which times and as they were there for half an hour each it usually meant you could meet somebody different on the way out than you had met on the way in! We were only there for 3 nights but my daughter's autograph book was almost full up when we left - this would never have happened if we had not stayed at this hotel.
The food was lovely - great choice and always fully stocked up.
The bar was great - the most fabulous hot chocolate ever!
In a nutshell - yes this hotel is expensive - but if you are going to "do" Disney - just throw yourselves in and enjoy it - the whole point of Disney is re-living the magic and excitement of being a child, and this hotel really does achieve this. From our hand-carved snow whit & the 7 dwarves mirror in our bathroom, to the engraved glass Dumbo elephants in the windows in the bar it is top-notch Disney luxury all the way.
We love Florida, and if comparing parks then of course Paris comes up short as it is so much smaller etc. But it was great to have a mini-break of Disney and come away feelinhg like you had seen and done so much.
We will probably never stay at the Disney Grand Floridian in Orlando (equivalent hotel in Florida) as for a 2 week holiday the cost would be astronomical. This gave us a taste of that for a weekend, and we loved every second of it!
The only downside is that if we go back to Disneyland Paris we will never be able to stay anywhere else again, having been so thoroughly spoilt this time!!

Room Tip: If at check-in the location of your allocated room seems a bit far away from main areas ask check-in...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
15  Thank essexem
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We travelled in December for 2 nights - booked on the 50% flash sale on the Belgium DLP website, costing us £550 in total (2 adults). This was our 10th visit to DLP, but our first to the DLH, having previously stayed at NY, NPB and Sequoia. DLH was always a hotel we wanted to try.

When booking through the website I requested a high floor. 4 days prior to our arrival I emailed the hotel asking if it would be possible to have a room towards the back of the hotel, facing the park (some standard rooms offer “glimpses” of the park) - I didn’t receive any reply so hoped for the best.

ARRIVAL

We arrived in the hotel just after 2pm, queued for about 10 mins to check in. On check in we were told our room was not ready yet, but given our tickets and FastPasses for the park. You get one FastPass per person per day that can be used outside the hours of 1-4pm. We didn’t really use these as the queues were not busy outside of these hours anyway.

We returned to the hotel about 3.30pm to check in, and had to queue about 10 mins again before being greeted by a receptionist who was a bit “off” with us – we had not been given our Easypass on first check in but he was insistent we would have done, so he had to print one off. We were then given our room key and quick instructions how to get to our room (no explanation of where anything else in the hotel is, arrangements for breakfast etc). Getting into the room I was a bit annoyed that there was still a cot left in the room from the previous occupants. I then checked out the view - the staff entrance of reception and car park at the side of the hotel - we were on the 1st floor as well. Feeling a bit disappointed, we went back to reception to ask if there were any other rooms available higher up or with a better view. When we got there we were told flatly that the hotel was fully booked and nothing could be done. When we said we had requested a high floor we were told not ground floor = high floor. She then said she would go speak to her manager. Whilst she was gone the man who had given us our room key came over and asked bluntly what the problem was. After 5 minutes or so of waiting they said that actually there were 2 rooms available we could move to, both in the West Wing overlooking the swimming pool roof on the 1st floor. When we asked if there was anything higher than 1st floor, we were asked what was the real reason we wanted a high floor?? (Not sure what he was implying). At that point he said that they did have one room on 2nd floor overlooking Fantasia Gardens but it had a bad view because you only saw trees. We said yes to that room anyway (thinking glimpses of the entrance will be better than a pool roof). Then they made a point about how they’d have to call concierge to move our bags to the correct room now that we’ve moved... except it turned out our bags hadn’t gone anywhere because no one had even asked for our luggage tickets on check in (so our luggage would never have reached us if we had not changed rooms!).

ROOM

We were in room 3278 overlooking Fantasia Gardens and the Entrance. The room itself was a bit shabby around the edges, but has more unique features than any of the other hotels, such as a Snow White carved mirror in the bathroom, Peter Pan furniture and castle headboard, Snow White artwork on the wall and Hidden Mickey’s in the wallpaper. The room itself is based on Victoriana with pink hues – I didn’t think it looked dated as such; the style is just as it is in the pictures. Slippers and robes are provided, and the toiletries are unique to the hotel. The bathroom has 2 sinks and was clean. The view was great; we could see people walking to and from the entrance, see Panoramagique in the air and could hear the music at night! The hotel also provides turn down service with Mickey Mouse chocolates on the beds, although we did not get this on the first night. Room service is available if you fancy paying 26euro for a club sandwich.

AMBIENCE / LOCATION

Xmas season is definitely the best time to stay at DLH – the decorations and Xmas tree are the best of all the hotels, and there is even a real gingerbread house in the corner of the lobby. The higher end hotels also have perfume pumped through the communal areas – DLH smells like vanillary talc. The furnishings in the lobby areas are a lot plusher, with sofa areas in various different parts of the corridors. The location is second to none, your room is practically in Main St, and so it is very easy to return to the room for a break during the day. Also it means you do not have to go through all the security checks each time you want to enter the parks or go in the Village. One thing to note though, the West Wing entrance seems to only work going inside to out, there was a card reader but it didn’t seem to work, so we had to go via the main reception most of the time.

FOOD / RESTAURANTS

We ate breakfast at both Inventions and California Grill. It offers the widest selection of all the Disney Hotels; however we felt there was not that much more on offer than the Hotel New York. Additional items include Pancakes, jam doughnuts, and a few more different types of ham, cheese and yogurt. The California Grill has a much nicer atmosphere than Inventions, the tables are set further apart, and there aren’t as many. The staff were attentive at serving drinks (bottled water and juice are available from the buffet, hot drinks served at your table), however the food seemed colder as it was on temporary hot plates. Inventions had a very hectic feel to it, we were sat near the buffet itself in the “corridor”, and it was very difficult to get the attention of a waitress for drinks after the initial serving. The tables were crammed together and it was very noisy, but the food itself looked a lot better laid out here and had more than one plate of each dish. Another niggle was that you needed to ask for extra cutlery as none was available to help yourself to! The views from both restaurants is of the train station and castle, I think you’re more likely to get a better view from California Grill, however you don’t really get a choice of where you sit or what restaurant you go to.

SERVICE

The service is what lets the hotel down. We had read previous reviews about problems with service, and we found these reviews to be correct – the service is not 5*. As mentioned before, the receptionists were unwilling to help and just wanted to get us checked in and gone; there was no personal touch. The staff in the Inventions restaurant we also found to be a bit rude, ask a question and you get “I don’t speak English” and they walk off – they don’t get someone else to help you. I don’t think it is just a language problem either, we saw someone get shouted at by a waitress for picking up a jug of milk from the side! However, we did also come across some lovely staff too. It’s just a shame that the bad service seems to be more of a trend now and not isolated incidents.

VALUE FOR MONEY

We “only” paid £135pppn for our stay, so I would say it was average value for money considering the location. However, I would not stay at this hotel at full price; it is just not worth it. This stay would have been £1100 full price; HNY £650 - £450 difference. I don’t think the location and facilities are worth £450 difference, and we received better service at HNY. From reading other reviews it appears that to guarantee a 5* stay you need to be in Castle Club.. Surely as a 5* hotel everybody should have impeccable service, not just those who have paid circa £500pppn for CC!

OVERALL

We did have an enjoyable stay, but the unfriendly staff kind of tarnished it a bit - requiring any assistance really highlights this hotel’s flaws. I think I will return to DLH, as I couldn’t imagine staying anywhere else having now stayed there. However, I will only go when there is a 50%/40% off offer as I do not think it is worth anymore than that.

Room Tip: Hotel does not appear to cater for room requests.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank BJBeachHut
Reviewed 18 January 2013

It's the best place in Disneyland Paris to take the weight off your feet, and enjoy a cocktail. The view over the park / gardens is stunning, the staff are great, and the quality of the drinks and the value for money is very impressive.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julesthom
Reviewed 16 January 2013

The wow factor!! Hotel is Beautiful and has nice gardens surrounding very very convenient to stay at the park also service is good but lobby can be busy at times. Rooms are nice we had a balcony room with views of main park which was great but came at a cost. Buffet breakfast is of a good variety and tasty overall a fun 2 days then off to Paris mainland

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Angelic999
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chessy
0.9 km away
0.6 km away
Disney's Hotel New York
1.4 km away
Appart'City Confort Marne la Vallee - Val d’Europe

Been to Disneyland Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK