My wife and I , having spent an amazing few nights in Anantara, Riverside! Bangkok, looked forward to our stay at their property in Boh Phut. We were out in Thailand to celebrate our daughter's wedding, which was taking part at a venue elsewhere on the island.
To be fair, the location, staff, rooms, food etc were all excellent, and for the first couple of days of our stay, we were delighted at our choice of hotel, as were other guests in our party.
However, it soon became evident that there was going to be a lavish wedding at the resort on the Saturday, which started with pre-wedding activities from the Tuesday.
Our time poolside was disrupted by the sound of a mechanical digger, which was levelling out the beach for a pre-wedding event. The beautiful beach was therefore out of use for guests.
The first event, a beach party, took place on the Wednesday night, with loud disco music reverberating round the resort. We had been informed earlier in the day that this party would continue until 2am. No advance apologies from any staff.
Our daughter's wedding was taking place on the Thursday, and she became extremely distressed that she was unable to sleep due to the thundering base response from the sound system at the party. Complaints were made to reception, who said that they would get the volume turned down. However, this did not materially happen, and at 11.45pm I spoke to the duty manager, expressing my disgust at this flagrant disregard for the interests of their guests, apart obviously, from the guests at the beach party.
It was only after repeated pleas, that she left reception and said she would make sure the volume was turned down. I also told her that a 2am finish was totally unacceptable.
In fairness, the music did stop just after midnight.
However, we then discovered that half the pool area was to be closed for the Thursday and Friday during the day, to accommodate yet another series of events related to this wedding. This resulted in all the rest of the resort's guests being crammed in to a small poolside area where there were a very limited number of sunbeds available. We were then subjected to the noise and commotion of the wedding guests in the pool, where lifebelts were used as floating aids for the children. The staff purely looked on, and tried to appease their irate guests with free soft drinks and food poolside.
We were leaving the hotel on the Saturday, so did not experience the wedding itself on that day. On checking out, and after much complaining to the check-out staff, we did receive a discount on our bill, but this was not the point.
My main disappointment is with the Anantara group, who, in this instance, have sold out their regular guests, in pursuit of the "big buck", as I am sure that these wedding facilities and events were extremely lucrative to the resort.
But the success, or otherwise, of any 4/5 star resort, is the experience that their normal guests enjoy, and in this case, we became of secondary importance.
In conclusion, we were delighted with the quality and facilities at the resort, but until this commercial ethos changes, future guests better check that there are no weddings planned throughout their stay, or they run the risk, in many cases, of travelling half way around the world to be met with a top class resort, with a 2 star experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on a tranquil stretch of sand, Anantara Bophut Resort & Spa offers guests inimitable luxury comforts coupled with world renowned Thai hospitality. Enjoy water sports on the Gulf of Thailand's placid warm waters whilst residing at our elegant Samui resort. Soak in the sun by Anantara's elegant beachfront pool with stunning sea views or on Bophut's peaceful beach. Unwind with one of our specially developed Anantara spa packages. Dine on fiery Thai curries and handmade Italian pastas overlooking the ocean. Anantara Bophut presents a Koh Samui resort lifestyle that is quite unlike any other, from Bill Bensley designed tropical gardens which complement the charms of Fisherman's Cove on Bophut Beach, to southern Thai architecture which reflects our local cultural heritage, and world class amenities enhanced by Anantara's unique design touches. A wealth of leisure facilities and experiences from windsurfing and sailing to spa, beach yoga, tennis, cooking classes and area excursions help you to make the most of Koh Samui's stunning natural and cultural attractions. While complimentary Wi-Fi Internet at our Lobby and Library, in the Eclipse Bar, High Tide and Full Moon restaurants, as well as poolside, allows you to keep up to date with the world. In short, Anantara Bophut Resort & Spa brings you all of the island's riches with Anantara's distinctive gracefulness. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda and DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ so you can book your Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anantara Bophut Hotel Bophut
- Anantara Bophut Resort And Spa
- Anantara Koh Samui Hotel
- Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort Ko Samui