New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort

Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort
Ranked #16 of 186 Hotels in Bophut
Zurich, Switzerland
“Clean, gorgeous and serene in Koh Samui”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is my 5th visit to Samui and the Anantara Resort on Bhoput has been the best experience so far. Had a lovely garden view bungalow. The rooms are nice, clean and comfortable, albeit on the smaller size, as certain travellers have commented before. But when you visit these climes, all you really need the room for is sleeping in. Hope many others will enjoy the Anantara, as well

Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
GM_AnantaraBophut, General Manager at Anantara Bophut Koh Samui Resort, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Dear valued guests,

Thank you for your taking the time to post a comment!
We are glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future,

Warm regards,
Manish Jha
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Oslo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed at this beautiful resort just after it opened in 2004 and have just now started using TripAdvisor. So the review is dated, but they still deserve it. We had planned a week at Anantara Bophut and another week at Ananantara in Hua Hin. But at day3 in our first week I broke my ancle playing tennis at the resort. That is something that really can ruin a vacation.. But the service from the staff and the management was so overwhelming; there was a big fruitbasket in my room when I returned from the hospital. There was a handwritten card from the General Manager wishing me a speedy recovery and they even sent us food to our room "on the house" the first night after the accident.

Everyone on the staff helped in any way they could and did everything to make my life easier. We were told that we could stay in our suit the next week as well as travelling to Hua Hin didnt really look like a good idea. We got the suit for the price of a regular room (as we did the first week - but that was a promotion).

The resort was elegant, the food deliciuos and the staff very polite and forthcoming.

I am sorry for not giving this review earlier, but better late then never... We will be back again for the first time since my injury this October, and we will consider staying there again (but no tennis)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ERIHAU
Dear valued guests,

Thank you so much for your review!
As you mentinned "better late than never!" We are thrilled that you have decided to come back to our resort, and the whole team will be briefed not to let you play tennis but go to the Spa instead!
Looking forward to welcoming you back this October,

Warm regards,
Manish Jha
Reading, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed at the Anantara for 12 nights in April 2012 for what was a relaxing and enjoyable Thailand / Singapore Holiday.

I was sold on Bophut very early when making the booking and settled on the Anantara after narrowing down a long list of what well respected hotels. What I will give here is an honest assesment of what I thought. Some of the reviews of this hotel make it sound ridiculously poor and its not but there are a couple of points I will make below that I wish I had known before I booked.

So the positives first, and there were many. The hotel is in a great location just five minutes walk from the restaurants and bars in Fishermans Village and 10 minutes from the frenetic nightlife in Chaeweng. We had an Anantarra Royal Suite (Room 301) which was fantastic with 2 balconies, 1 directly looking over the beach and the other over the pool. The room was spotlessly clean, large and had all the modern amenities I would expect including free wifi - which is normally chargeable.

The service and friendliness across the hotel was outstanding. All staff went out of their way to be courteous and friendly. Drinks and food were good (if a little pricey) and happy hour was most welcome. The grounds, pool, sunbeds, gardens and all buidlings were spotless and the hotel had a lovely relaxing laid back air about it, I slept brilliantly every night and as I said before I had a very relaxing holiday. This is a perfect hotel for couples and honeymooners (of which there were many) and possibly less so for children (more of that later).

Now the negatives. The hotel was full in the first week with two weddings and during this time there were simply nowhere near enough beds round the pool for the number of people at the hotel. The usual debacle of sunbed reservation was a common problem with us having to go to the beach on most mornings - after arriving at the pool after breakfast to find all beds reserved with nobody on them. After lunch one day I walked by the pool to find one bed free in the shade, which I decided to sit on. The next 5 beds along from me were reserved with clothes and towels. Almost 3 hours later, a woman wandered in from the beach, picked up the clothes and wondered off to her room. This kind of selfish behaviour is bad enough when you have a couple of hundred sunbeds but when you have around 50 you need to do something about it. There was a sign up stating that towels would be removed after an hour but it never happened. The situation eased the second week as the hotel got quieter and we were able to get beds but this hotel really needs to find a way to tackle this issue because it was very frustrating and I don't expect to pay almost £3k for a hotel an not be able to sit by the pool. At the very least the hotel should consider a two bed per room limit.

Secondly this is not a family hotel. It advertises a kids club which we looked in on first day. It was basically full of toddlers and my 11 year old daughter never went near it again. My advice would be that if you have children over 5 or 6 years old, find a diffrent hotel and this hotel should seriously consider going couples only.

Finally there is a potential issue that any family should consider before booking one of the suites. They are beautiful but they are very open plan !! You can see into the toilet, the bathroom everywhere. Fine for a couple but with a nosy, mischevious 11 year old this can cause some embaressing issues !! This wasnt a problem for us but others should be aware.

However, these small niggles didn't ruin a good holiday. The Anantara is great for the right people but I probably wouldn't go back again unless I was going without my daughter (which is a few years away yet)

Advice for management - sort out the sunbeds. Its incredibly annoying. A lot of people only lay towels out because they se others doing it. Stop the first few people and you won't have an issue

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank flipper25
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Anantura for three days over Songkran, the Thai New Year holiday which was a complete experience in and of itself and made our long weekend getaway all the more amazing and unique. The Anantura however, was a good choice. For full disclosure, we did some research and there was a good deal, so we picked this hotel more for the price, figuring that as we weren't going to be in the hotel for a lot of the time anyway, it wasn't a big deal if the hotel wasn’t that great...
We were however pleasantly surprised. Although looking a little older than it is, the Anantura on Bophut (there is another Anantura in Chaweng, about 15 minutes away) has some very unique features that ultimately made our stay very enjoyable. A large reflection pool and garden in the middle of the hotel really set a dramatic isolated feel, and when lit up with flames every night, you really get a sense you are far from everything. The staff was uber-friendly, with everyone from the concierge to the gardeners always stopping what they are doing to greet you. The breakfast is good and the rooms nice, free Wi-Fi in a nice library near reception, and a private beach area with good food delivered to beach chairs. The hotel is also well-situated only a stone's throw from Fisherman's village which has a large selection of bars and restaurants and Vespa rental places.
We rented a Vespa and drove all around the island and stopped at various other hotels for dining (best restaurants are in the other hotels) and beaches to relax. Fyi, the Four Seasons is absolutely gorgeous, but the beach is unswimmable! Anyway, while not usually our style of hotel as we prefer small boutique places, we would recommend the Anantura in Bophut for its setting, excellent service, and great location.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Derek L
Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

I have nothing but praise for hotel during our recent 6 night stay. The staff we efficient, welcoming and willing to help in any shape or form. The room was first class as was the hotel grounds and pool area. Breakfast offered a wide range of choice and was of good quality.

The main downside to our stay was the attitude of some guests towards the ever helpful staff. During a busy breakfast time one couple demanded a table for four people despite only requiring two seats. When told this was not possible they demanded to see the manager. Pathetic.

Another niggle was the hogging of sunbeds. One family put towels down on four beds and duly vanished for over 3 hours. Hotel policy states that after an hour the towels will be removed allowing other guests to use the beds. This didn't register with the irrate father who despite being in the wrong demanded 'his' beds back. Shocking, selfish behaviour.

My advice to staff is to invoke the hour rule more often as these people deprive others who actually want to occupy the beds instead of reserving them just in case they want to use them later.

Purchasing food from the hotel was on the expensive side but the staff didn't seem to mind you buying food from the beach sellers and eating it by the pool.

I wouldn't go back as I always like trying new places but I would be confident that anyone going would have a thoroughly enjoyable stay

Room Tip: I would recommend a top floor room. They probably all see the sun but at different times of the day...