“Mantra Samui”

Mantra Samui Resort
Ranked #15 of 185 Hotels in Bophut
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Stayed at Mantra for 4 nights, in WOW 350. Room is perched right at the top of the hill, with views that will make you go "wow!".

+ staff. always smiling and courteous. I can see they truely enjoy working. I applaud companies that put their staff 1st, even before their customers. Because I believe, when your staff are happy, so will your guests.
Special thanks to Haris, who suggested places to visit. He spoke to us in Mandarin, English and Hokkien! How wonderful!

+ room. huge. Ample amenities. Internet TV loaded with tons of movies and songs (we can just stay in the room the whole day). Kitchenette (they provide a cooking set upon request). I like the fact that Mantra is into Protecting the environment- from their unique recycled name cards, glass bottled water to the removal of dry cleaning service.

+ facilities. Plenty of things around the resort to keep you busy. Swimming pool with a lounging area, play room equipped with Wii and pool table. The Spa may cost double than outside the resort, but it's worth every penny. Superb massage I had. Free shuttles to Chaweng and Fisherman Village. I am unable to make use of the following facilities, but I'm sure they are just as awesome: gym with sauna and steam room (very well equipped with new machines), yoga classes, movie room, squash court.

+ breakfast. Wide selection of food.
- but it got boring on our 3rd day. We were hoping for a change of menu on our last day of stay, unfortunately it didn't happen. It'll be nice if menu is changed every 3 days or so. You may find us nitpicking, but being avid foodies, we live to eat. P/S: pancakes are too dense and unpleasant.
- I understand you produce your food fresh. But sometimes common/ simple snacks like French fries (not cut potatoes) and potato chips (not sweet potato) are just what is needed to ease a craving.

+ overall. I love the little details around the resort, I'm sure a lot of time had been spent on picking the items. Peppermill, tea cups, sugar in containers rather than packet, 'do not disturb' statue, stitching on the envelope... The list can go on.
You can be sure, 'Mantra Resort' will be on my lips for a long time! Highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Dear Tehni,

I am very happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us. The list of "+" in your review is very long and it is very nice that you have found all the little touches (even the stiching on our envelopes) The we created and continuously creating!

It was great to read that YOu have found our colleagues to be great and I can not tell you how impressed I am that you have notice that they are the center of the Mantra Family.

I would like to thank you for highlighting in your review our efforts to protect the environment of this lovely island.

I will let my colleagues at the Spa know that you have found the massage "superb" they will be happy to hear. Of course it also helps that we use the best available massage products in the world:)

I am sure you will be happy to know that we have already started to offer asian dishes and we will have a daily changing speial offer of local Thai breakfasts representing the uniqueness of each regin within Thailand.

Dear Tehni, I would like to thank oyu for taking the time and writing a review and am looking forward to have you with us in Mantra! Robert

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 7 March 2012

A lovely hotel in the middle of the jungle on top of a hill with great views over the island. Delicious breakfast with tropical freshly squeezed juice, fruit platters, fresh yoghurt muesli was amazing, freshly baked breads and cakes with cooked breakfast made to order! Yummy!

It is not possible to walk anywhere from the hotel due to its location, but the hotel have free buses to 2 locations, or you can hire one of their scooters which are on site. We hired a scooter to get around and find the quieter beaches and get to the waterfalls etc - which are so beautiful.

The free bus goes to Chaweng beach which we hated as it is very over developed and busy.The free bus also goes to Fishermans village which is really nice for dinner and you can get taxi back easily for 300-400 bhat.

We were in the love jacuzzi room at the front of the hotel number 131 - which had amazing views and lovely quiet part of the hotel. There was free internet on the hotel computer with lots of films stored.

I enjoyed the yoga class once which helped me get over my long flight. The main reason i didn't go again was the time was late afternoon when we were usually still out and about.

Had a very relaxing holiday and the Mantra was great place to stay. You do need transport to get to the beaches but decided it was nice to come back to the quiet location at the end of each day or night.

Room Tip: Worth getting the love jacuzzi room with its own sunny balcony and huge bed on the balcony with grea...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank ktsue

Dear Ktsue,

How nice it is to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us!
I am really glad that you had the chance to take advantage of our Yoga classes and could go to one and it is also great that you enjoyed our breafast. Chef Dani will be happy to hear as he worked very hard to make sure that we provide an amazing breakfast.

I would like to let you know that your review means a lot to us and we are very grateful for it. I am looking forward to welcome you again! Robert

Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed in Mantra Samui for 3 nights and not wanting to leave at all.
From the very first staff who is picking you up from the airport to the Front Desk, Room Service, you will find 1 same thing on each and everyone of them, a big welcoming SMILE.
The room is clean and the house keeping will never fail to surprise you with the small little things that they do.(will not review on what they did, as to keep it as a surprise for the rest)

although the resort is all the way up hill, but the view from room is gonna blow your mind away.
I woke up every morning with a perfect view.
Breakfast is good, instead having a regular buffet line, you will have to choose on what you gonna have from the menu.

overall the whole stay in the resort is great, even much more better than any 5* resort I've stayed in any where else.
The service from the staff is really the key point of the resort.
Mantra Samui will be my 1st choice if i am ever going back to Koh Samui

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whereispzai

Dear Whereispzai,

I am happy that you did not want to leave! We also did not want you to leave so you must come back!
It is great to read that you appreciated our little surprises and I am happy that you had a great time with us! Thank you for taking the time and writing a review on tripadvisor.com. I am looking forward to have you with us again! Robert

Reviewed 5 March 2012

My partner and I booked a WOW room for 12 nights. The initial airport transfer was seamless and we were welcomed with a glass of very tasty fruit juice and an unexpected upgrade to a LOVE JACUZZI room. This instantly threw us into relaxation mode after a long flight from Melbourne!

The staff were excellent and we were given an overview of the facilities and the features in our room upon checking in.

Summary of stay
- Our room was stunning with a comfortable bed and stylish design. Handy to have so many movies on the computer hard drive but could even have more (it was always relaxing to watch a movie after a long day or night out in the hot towns of chaweng or fishermans village). We did have an issue with an animal in our wall and roof which kept us awake one night but were able to arrange a simple move into another room for the remainder of our stay.
- The views at the resort are remarkable and positioning of hotel great overall, situated on the side of the hill, amongst a foresty area and away from the main townships. Please note staff will pick you up on golf carts if you find it difficult or uncomfortable to walk up the steep hills.
- The shuttles were very handy and helped to minimize travel cost, although Agree with other posts that more shuttles would be a positive.
- The pool was very nice with an unbelievable view (couldn't wish for a better view). A bit annoying to have so many kids around the pool on some days. This was exacerbated by the high number of sun beds in such a tight space (a couples pool and a separate family pool would increase relaxation).
- Food and drinks were really nice but a bit expensive. Cocktails 300 baht or 10 Australian dollars. Pizza similar price with more complex dishes more expensive. In saying this, still a fair bit cheaper than5 star resorts in Australia. 3 favorite dishes were pizza, souffle and ice creams - all if these were sensational, also chicken wings are a hit. Breakfast buffet was average in our opinion but comforting to read Asian dishes are being introduced in near future. Also would be beneficial to send waiters around the pool to assess guests needs on a regular basis.
- The gym was 5 star. Wonderful views, fantastic equipment and iPod compatibility. Also complimentary washing service was great, however one shirt did get wrecked a little (delicate fabric) and got handwashed for further washes.
- We hired a Honda jazz for one day through the hotel endorsed tripsamui car hire company. Car was great and price not too extreme, however had quite a disturbing disagreement (regarding low petrol) with car company when car returned. The company demanded we pay them 1000 baht to cover petrol costs which was completely out of left field as there was nothing regarding this in the terms and conditions. This certainly was not good but luckily the mantra staff resolved the issue after a very uncomfortable encounter with tripsamui. I highly advise that mantra reconsider their association with this company and consider more reputable company as the recommended service provider.

Overall a wonderful stay and will recommend to others. I understand the resort is still in its infancy and expect the above mentioned issues will be resolved.

Thanks for a great holiday Mantra!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Rw1987

Dear Rw1987,

Thank you very very much for your amazing words. Your review shows that you indeed took adavantage of most things (the room of course, our amazing gym, the complimentary shuttles, our pool, the stunning views, and our restaurant) that Mantra has to offer.
I was happy to read that my colleagues could help you in regards to the car situation. After my colleagues have informed me about this issue I have talked to tripsamui about providing clear information, thank you for pointing it out as well.

Thank you for your comments about our restaurant, it was nice to see that you find our food to be "really nice".
Regarding prices: I hate when hotels overcharge, so I consciously create the lowest possible prices in our restaurant. However as most of the top quality ingredients have to be imported (quality flour for our home made breads and pizza dough, red meat, ect) we are not able to further lower our prices without seriously lowering our quality.

It is great that you will recommend Mantra and I am sure you will be happy to know that we have already started offering Asian dishes for breakfast. We have also opened a second sun terrace and are working on finding a solution to have an other pool in Mantra!
I thank you for taking the time and writing a review. It measn a lot to us! I hope I can welcome you to Mantra again soon! Robert

Reviewed 1 March 2012

A new ( seems brand new) and good hotel! Everything seems well thought of, from pool, to fitnesclub to an own cinema!

Free shuttles to chaweng and bophut was great, but could hav had a late schedule as well around 23. But taxis are 3-400 baht so no worries.

Staff is super nice, and the drinks were awesome! Food and drinks a little pricey but probAbly cheap compared to other 5 star resorts!

The biggest drawback was that there is not enough sunbeds around the pool, and the sundeck which had several sunbeds free didnt have a shower. Luckily the Love rooms have a hottub you can use as a private pool, and the balcony had sunbeds so we just tanned on our private balcony :)

And the bar could have been open longer than 23.

On departure they let us stay late in room for free, even suggested it, now that is 5star service.

All in all highly recomended ! I think Mantra has a winning formula here!

( Just remember its 15min by car to beach)

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank thesutex
Robert M, Manager at Mantra Samui Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2012

Dear Thesutex,

Thank you very much for taking the time and writing a review about Mantra.

I am really glad that you have liked our drinks and that you find my colleagues to be "super nice":)

I am happy to let you know that we will soon start an 11 PM shuttle and our showers for the second sun terrace are on their way from Bangkok, so the next time you visit, everything will be perfect!

We do everything we can to make sure our Guests can stay in Mantra as long as possible even if it means providing an other room so nobody has to leave too early for the airport. It is much nicer to enjoy the Mantra facilites and to have a room to take a shower and relax in in case the flight home leaves at night:) I am glad that you find this a testament to our five star hospitality.

I am looking forward to have you with us again! Robert

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bophut
6.4 km away
6.6 km away
Nora Buri Resort & Spa
Nora Buri Resort & Spa
#18 of 104 in Chaweng

Been to Mantra Samui Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK