“AMAAAZING!”

Ranked #13 of 187 Hotels in Bophut
New York City, New York
“AMAAAZING!”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

For such a luxurious and high quality experience the staff is beyond friendly and extremely helpful. The infinity pool opens out right onto the beautiful beach and a small road that connects visitors to all the nooks and crannies of Bophut Beach's shops, restaurants, and bars. Absolutely gorgeous rooms are modern yet inviting and affordable. I recommend it to all and any that want to be adventurous with their travels without sacrificing the comfort and luxury of a real vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Eugenius8
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at Hansar Samui resort in a Seaview King room for only 1 night, however we would have loved to stay longer.  We were simply wanting somewhere to stay between flying into Samui and going to Koh Phangan the next day.  I would definitely go back and stay longer.

The room was a decent size, very hotel like except that the bathroom had mostly glass walls around it.  This and lots of dark wood gave it a nice Thai feel.  The shower was huge but the toilet was not very private, as although it was a separate room, it had frosted glass.   The bed was very comfortable and the balcony was huge and had nice couches along it.  The view was very good from the room, overlooking the pool, ocean and onto Koh Phangan.  Most rooms would actually have ocean views as the resort is a U shape around the pool area, which directly overlooks the beach.

Speaking of the beach, it's not very good.  I usually stay in Chaweng and Bophut is not really for swimming.  The sand is coarse and harsh to walk on and the water didn't look inviting.  My advice is to stay at the pool... Which was great at Hansar.  Big, great temperature - not too cold like some in Samui.

The location of the resort was right next to the restaurants of Fisherman's Village.  Although I didn't get a good chance to try them out, it would be very convenient if you were here longer.  The area seemed quiet and peaceful.  Lots of families and retirees.  Not really the place to stay on Samui if you want to go out drinking.

One last comment.... When we left to take the Seatran Ferry to Koh Phangan we got Hansar to drive us.  The driver carried our luggage to the pier. He then checked with the ferry operator whom he seemed to know and found out to our surprise it was full. (We have done this trek a number of times).  We got on a standby list and did manage to get on the ferry.  However if it hadn't been for the driver's help I doubt we would have worked it out.  Thanks!

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Goopy007
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I had booked a "Seaview XL" room based mainly on the Trip Advisor reviews that noted the slightly higher cost was totally worth it. We arrived on Thursday evening for a long weekend stay and were greeted with cool drinks and friendly check in service. After a bit of an extended check in, we were walked to our room on the ground floor and this is where the "rough start" comes in. The room, quite frankly, stunk - I mean that literally, it had a bad, mildewy smell. The first thing I did was walk out to the balcony to see the view and discovered that, on the ground floor (at the least for the room we were in) there is no view! Although all the rooms do, indeed, face the ocean, this room's view was essentially of a bit of lawn and a stone wall. I immediately said this was not what we had in mind and we needed a different room - but I think our check-in lady already knew this because as soon as we walked into the room she got on the phone (I think with the front desk) and was talking rapidly in Thai (which I don't speak) and I can only imagine she was telling them that the room smells and these people are going to want a different one! No luck though, as she said that all the upper floor rooms were booked and she could not make any decisions without her manager, who she was trying to reach.
She left to try to make some changes at the front desk, we hung out in the room about 10 minutes before I had finally had enough and walked out to the front desk to find out what was going on. In that conversation, she said she was trying to get us another room and why didn't we stay in this one tonight and we'd work it out tomorrow (my answer - no). Then we wandered down to the beach and she came and found us there and asked us to come back to the front desk as she had gotten in touch with her manager. We walked back and hung out there for awhile (she asked us to sit down, I said no) and then, finally, we were offered a beach front room at no additional charge. Still on the ground floor, but who cares with such a beautiful view looking right over the beach!
From this point on - from Thursday night (in the new room) to Monday late afternoon checkout - everything was wonderful, just about perfect. The room was really nice - I loved the tub in the middle of the floor and there was enough privacy in the bathroom area and we had a gorgeous view of the ocean from our window/balcony. Marketa at the front desk was super-helpful about tour and sight-seeing options. The pool is beautiful and quiet, the outdoor bar was great, the beach was nice (although not the fine white sand found on other beaches in Koh Samui). The gym facilities were good (I just use the treadmill). The walk to fisherman's village was easy - and on Friday night they set up the outdoor market, which was fun (although quite crowded).
The restaurant at Hansar is very good. We ate breakfast there each morning as part of our hotel package and, unlike a lot of hotel breakfasts with a huge buffet, this one offers made-to-order eggs, pancakes, coffees, etc. Really good and very friendly, nice service.
On our last night, we ate at H-Bistro because it had been rated as one of the top restaurants in Bophut. I'll write a separate review but note here that it was absolutely fantastic.
My husband will also have to write a separate review of the Luxsa spa - he loved his massage so much he went back the next day and had a second one (his masseuse was Kwan if you want to ask for her by name!)
Check-out went well - they called the day before and made arrangements for transport to the airport and also offered late checkout with no additional fee, which was really nice as our flight was not until 4:30.
So, all together, despite a bit of a rough start, I think Hansar Samui deserves 5 stars - but make sure, when you book, that you definitely ask for an upper level room (or beach front!)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Allison_722
Jakarta
Reviewed 26 July 2012

The location of the hotel is great! You can stroll down to the Fishermen's Village in no time at all. The pool is good for couples & for those who wants to get tan on their skin but for family with young kids, the pool wouldn't be too enjoyable. The surrounding area have no tree for shade. They do have umbrellas ect however it still to bare. The staff are very helpful & nice.

My disappointment in this hotel is when I made a direct booking, I booked for a seaview room, however when I got the room it wasn't a full sea view, they gave me a room in the corner with a full view of the pool with a slight angle view of the sea! I was disappointed & check with the staff, but the answer I receive wasn't satisfying at all. The staff answer was " I'm sorry madam we are fully booked, this room is what we have" well... I still got charge for a sea view room but got a pool view!

Also, they need to pay more attention with the cleanliness in the room. And the amenities in the room is placed in a jar that is refillable like a hand wash jar that you found in the local restaurant. It means that you may be using the leftover shower gel / shampoo / conditioner from the previous guests that were in the room where you are. For me it's so VERY UNHYGIENIC. I'm not sure if the hotel is trying hard to safe cost on amenities but in my opinion it's wrong ! Also in the room where I was The Fan in the air con is way too loud and annoying at night when you're trying to sleep.

The H-Bistro has a nice view of the sea. I eat dinner twice at the bistro & was good, you may find that you will get surprise by the chef by serving you a complimentary mini dish for appetize which is a good thing. The breakfast was standard but ok however the way they serve jam (ie. peanut butter, strawberry, chocolate ect) I found it not very interesting considering they place it in colourful mini square serving dish and when you looked at those jams even they were placed nicely it will puts you off especially with the chocolate jam & peanut butter, not so bad for the strawberry jam thou as it is bright color and easy to identify!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank ForeignBeauty05
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I recently had a very relaxing week in Koh Samui staying at the Hansar. I had read excellent reviews on Trip Advisor and booked my stay based on these recommendations.

The hotel is very modern and minimalistic. It is built in a 3-sided square shape so that every room gets a sea view. It is painted a rustic red/orange colour and all rooms have lovely balconies with padded day beds and cushions. A nice place for relaxing with a book and a glass of wine. There is a fan to take the edge off the heat. The hotel has 3 floors and no lift.

The hotel is located about 5 minutes walk into Fisherman's Village where there are lots of little shops and restaurants. Our favorite was The Pier. Many of the restaurants have tables on the sand with the water just centimeters from your feet. On Friday nights there is a 'walking street' market and people sell a variety of food, cocktails (60Baht), clothes, jewellery, etc. It is a good atmosphere and you can walk around with a cocktail in one hand and a crocodile kebab in the other! The home made coconut ice-cream served in half a young coconut is very yummy! The pancakes are pretty good too.

The rooms are a reasonable size with huge King size beds (very comfortable) and a flat screen TV on the wall. I would have liked an easy chair to sit in to watch TV as sitting up in bed gives you a back ache after a while - but I don't know where you would fit it in!

The bathroom is ultra modern and not to everyone's taste. It has glass walls open to the rest of the room so that everyone is treated to a view of you in the shower. We didn't feel comfortable with this arrangement! Our remedy to this was to peg towels up over the glass and shower with minimal lighting! Mind you, with all lighting turned on it was not very bright, especially if you wanted to apply make up or have a shave.

The pool is amazing and I spent quite a lot of my time there. The view from your deck chair is looking out over the infinity pool to the sea with little boats moored and islands in the distance. It was very calming and the view was beautiful. Being at the far end of the walkway into Fisherman's village there was not a lot of traffic either, making it quiet. There was happy hour 3 times a day which was very tempting and added to the relaxing experience. The only negative at the pool was trying to find some shade. Even with the umbrellas up there was very little shade. I'm not sure what can be done about that however. More trees perhaps?

The turn down service at night was good and the little 'gifts' left on the bed each night was a nice touch. I would have liked wet towels lying on the floor to have been taken away and replaced however. I know we could have called and asked for clean towels but it just seemed to be left looking untidy with no attempt to clean it up.

One small but very welcome feature was free drinking water whenever you wanted it. There were free cold bottles of water at the pool bar and water in your room was replaced morning and night.  You could call for more if you needed it. In the heat of Koh Samui it is important to drink a lot of water so this was very much appreciated.

The breakfast was different from other hotels. It was a combination of buffet and A la Carte. The buffet was small but sufficient and the eggs, waffles, pancakes, bacon etc cooked to order. The restaurant overlooks the sea so it's a lovely way to start the day.

We would like to thank Marketa for her friendliness and for the interest she took in the people staying at the hotel. She was the only staff member who got out and about at the pool and talked to people.  The other mention must go to Fon and the short haired Thai waitress (I apologise for not knowing your name) for their friendly breakfast service.

Although it reads as a mixed review, we did enjoy our stay very much, and the things I have commented on did not detract from this. If customers don't point out little things that can be done to improve their stay they will never be fixed up. I do realise that you can't please everyone and these things are just our personal opinions.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends