“An adventurous trip with amazing sites to see!”

Blue Stars Kayaking
More attraction details
Owner description: Longtailboat at Koh Sam Sao, National Marine Park, Bluestars
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 22 January 2012

The boat trip took about 2 hours to get out to Ang Thong National Marine Park. Bring a towel and sunblock so you can lay on the top deck and relax during the trip. We got a chance to jump off the boat and swim around to explore. Then we went on an absolutely great kayak trip! It was truly something I wouldn't have gotten to do anywhere else. It was nice to get away from the crowds of Koh Samui and enjoy some peaceful time. After some amazing formations that we saw we went to an island and climbed up to see the fresh water lake. We got some wonderful pictures. The guide Marcus was great and all the other guides were great also. I highly recommend this trip. The food was great and the trip was a great memory for us!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 12 January 2012

The trip was cancelled for December 26th due to weather condition per office, but the company said it was ok to go the next day. So, of course, we did keep the booking since we had been looking forward to snorkeling and kayaking when in Ko Samui. Heard so much about the island. But it was the trip to hell. The weather was still windy and many of us ended up throwing up and miserable. The water was dirty and so is the beach area. Did not get to kayak either.
We were very disappointed with the whole trip and regretted the makeup date-- should have just cancelled the whole thing.
Not first time snorkeling or kayaking on trips and so have experienced in this type of excursions. Definitely will not rate this one high on our list.

2  Thank Arizona03
Bromme, Owner at Blue Stars Kayaking, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2012

We appreciate you feedback together with your concern.

Regrettably weather conditions is something we cannot control. We monitor many different sources for weather predictions including the official Thai Weather Department's website but unfortunately these may not always be accurate.

The tour was cancelled on the 26th due to unsuitable conditions and in fact the last tour we had made was on the 23rd. The forecasts were all showing an improvement for the 27th with further improvement throughout the day.

The comfort of our customers is very important with safety being the top priority. Hence the reason for the cancelled tours for the previous 3 days. But with the information that conditions will get better we made the decision to operate a tour.

We don't force customers to participate in a rescheduled tour. Refunds are made in full if the customer wishes to opt out. It was clear that conditions would not be 'perfect' for the 27th but should have been satisfactory enough, according to official weather forecasts, and we did have some people decide not to participate.

Unfortunately the conditions did not improve as forecast throughout the day and the sea remained quite rough.

As for the condition of the water and beaches, this can happen after a few days of bad weather. It is something that can occur any where in the world. The water can be churned up and floating debris can be deposited on beaches.

In regard your statement that you didn't kayak, we feel this is not correct. It may have been that our guides were unable to take you to our regular locations but they have confirmed that kayaking was offered in another area that was calmer.

After saying all this, we do appreciate that your day was not what you had expected and are happy to offer you another trip next time you are here with a 50% discount. We understand you were a group of 8 but only 7 of you decided to participate that day.

Reviewed 11 January 2012

I booked a tour with Blue Stars via their online booking system. Once I had booked a tour, I promptly received an email from them confirming my booking and providing me with a booking number. The email that I received from them told me to contact them the day I arrive in Koh Samui, and from there, they would fetch us for the tour.

I arrived in Koh Samui the day before the tour and made sure to to phone them as soon as I could. I got through to a lady who abruptly informed me that we could not do the tour on the agreed date as they would be taking a private tour group on the day we were supposed to go. Her English was not too good, so I asked for the manager's number. I phoned him and asked about our booking. I DID NOT tell him what the Thai lady had said to us. His first response was to ask if we could go on the following day- which we unfortunately could not do since we were only spending two nights on the island. Our only option was to go on the agreed date of our booking. He then went on to tell me about the bad weather etc and how they couldnt do the trip (the day was warm and sunny). At that point, I knew he was lying to me and was obviously trying to get rid me, so I gave up and ended the call.

They were polite when speaking to me and I can understand how mistakes can happen. However, my only gripe is that they not once apologised for their mistake with the booking. Instead, they lied to me and didnt even bother to contact me in advance to inform me of the messed up booking. I foolishly centred my Koh Samui plans around this tour and so it was a big inconvenience to us. I surely hope that this particular case of unprofessionalism was a once off occurence!

2  Thank bwil001
Bromme, Owner at Blue Stars Kayaking, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2012

Thank you for your comments.

I feel I must explain the circumstances leading up to your tour date and the apparent dissatisfaction you had.

We had your booking details noted for that day but the weather for several weeks was not so good and we had had to cancel several tours already. We had hoped to be able to make a regular tour that day but the previous day the sea condition was unsatisfactory to allow the tour to operate as normal. Sometimes the decision to cancel we can make several days in advance but other times we may decide the evening before the tour. And on some occasions the morning of the tour. For your tour date we made the decision the day before and contacted most of the customers who had provided hotel contact details.

A few days prior to your planned tour date we had a group of 20 that wanted a private tour that day. They were here for a wedding and had a free day that day. Originally we had to tell them it wouldn't be possible but when we decided to cancel our regular tour we contacted them again. We arranged with this group to make a private tour for them but not to the Angthong National Park because the sea condition was not suitable enough to make our way there. The winds were from the north east and quite rough. And yes, even when the the weather is "warm and sunny" the sea can still be unsuitable and unsafe.

So we agreed to take this group to an island on the south west coast of Koh Samui where we would not experience any rough seas.

I don't believe that any of my staff or management lied to you and they only gave the information as it was. The forecast for the following days was for slightly better sea conditions and hence the question from my manager whether or not you could go the following day. And my office staff stated the correct information even it was perhaps lacking a little more detail.

Regrettably we cannot control the weather and even with many avenues for checking forecasts these are not always accurate. We understand your concern and that it made you unsatisfied but I believe your comments are a little rash and perhaps made too hastily.

We hope you still managed to enjoy you brief stay on Koh Samui.

Reviewed 6 October 2011

People on here have already given the day guideline. It is exactly as advertised and the German owner is very honest, he told us that the snorkling would be pretty rubbish and it was but the swimming was great fun.
You get to kayak twice and we watched another cruise they just got in the water went around their boat and got back on again. That is not the case on Blue Stars. They take you into little caves, throught tunnels where you have to lay on your back and the guides pull you through and, one of the highlights, into a little lake completely encircled by cliff face that you enter through a little tunnel from the ocean. I am not an adrenalin junkie by any stretch of the imagination and I felt completely safe the whole time, I even got up the courage to jump off the top of the boat.
We had a fantastic time. I don't know why people were worried about the trip out and back, it is picturesque and there is so much to look at. On the way back people fell asleep, others sat on the roof. We enjoyed a view beers and watched the scenery pass by.
I will recommend this tour to anyone. It was excellent, very relaxed, as most things are in Thailand, well worth the money and the day out.

1  Thank willclaire1
Reviewed 20 September 2011

It was fairly expensive relative to most of the other stuff but you got quite a lot with it. I would do it again. The views are spectacular.