“The best stay we have had to date.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Penha Longa Resort

Penha Longa Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Linho
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“The best stay we have had to date.”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

My husband and I have felt compelled to write to express our sincere gratitude to all the staff at the Ritz-Carlton Penha Longa resort for all their wonderful kindness and assistance during our stay over Easter, 5 – 9 April 2012. My husband and I travel regularly for business and leisure and this was the best hotel stay we have had to date.

From the moment we arrived, we were overwhelmed by the beauty of the resort and the surrounding countryside and felt we had come a magical place. In fact we saw a double rainbow on our first morning at Penha Longa and a beautiful full moon on our first night. There is no doubt that the setting and the hotel are magnificent and we would like to compliment you on the sensitivity with which you have developed this beautiful area and on the comfort and luxury of the facilities.

All of this would, of course, been more than sufficient for a wonderful and relaxing break but what lifted this vacation from enjoyable to absolutely fantastic was the staff. Every person we encountered was courteous, helpful and smiling. Nothing was too much trouble and we felt welcome and contented from the moment we arrived until the sad moment of our departure.

Although all of the staff were absolutely excellent, we did want to mention a few truly exceptional people we encountered during our stay.

On our first full day at Penha Longa, I spent time at your Six Senses Spa where my husband had arranged a “Mother-to-Be” package for me. Before we even arrived, the staff contacted my husband to suggest that, given the fact I was 6 months pregnant at the time of our visit, I would be more comfortable dividing the treatment into 2 sessions. Such thoughtfulness and consideration was truly touching. Once I did arrive, I have to say that nothing was a disappointment. From the friendliness of my reception, the beauty of the building and the attention to detail and comfort, it was a truly relaxing experience. My therapists, Sandra and Vina, were fantastic and the treatments they had arranged really helped me to unwind. Sofia from reception was extremely thoughtful and, when the weather proved too cool for an al fresco lunch for my husband and I, arranged a lovely room for us to dine in. By the end of my time at the Spa I felt as if I had been on vacation for 1 week, not 1 day.

We also wanted to extend our sincere thanks to the Head Concierge, Victor, who’s knowledge, passion for the area and unbelievable enthusiasm were a key component in making this the best vacation we have ever had. He worked with my husband to arrange a wonderful outing to Sintra and Monserrat by carriage and they even went together to scout possible locations for our picnic in advance whilst I was enjoying my spa day. They did, indeed find the perfect spot with the help of Aidiris Rasmussen from Food and Bevereages and she created the most romantic and delicious lunch for us. From the 2 white horses of our horse-drawn carriage, the friendly driver, being dropped off and picked up by Victor himself and Aidiris’ fantastic picnic setting and menu, to the thoughtfulness with which we were left alone to enjoy our time together, though kind staff did check in on us regularly to ensure we wanted for nothing, it was a perfect day.

Victor also found us the most fantastic restaurant by the sea and managed to get us a reservation despite the fact it was Easter Saturday and extremely busy and even helped my husband check in for our flights when we had to leave. He was also a fount of interesting information about the region and really contributed to our determination to come back, not just to Sintra, but to Penha Longa.

We also wanted to compliment your kitchen staff on the excellence of the food – the breakfasts in particular were fantastic and we were very impressed by the ripeness of the fresh fruit and the variety of breakfast options available. The service was always impeccable and we never wanted for anything. My husband wanted me to mention specifically that the brownies he had from room service on our last night were spectacular.

The housekeeping staff were also extremely friendly and efficient and our room was immaculate throughout our stay.

The personal commitment of each member of staff at Penha Longa to the enjoyment of the guests was a revelation to us and it made our 4 day stay seem like a visit to paradise. In answer to Victor’s question as to whether we could now imagine the world without Ritz-Carlton our only answer could be no, we could not and nor did we want to. Facilities can be basic or top of the line but it is the staff of a hotel that really make the difference, during our stay at the Penha Longa we felt welcomed by friends.

In fact on our last night as I had not received an Easter bunny until then Ina from reception went out of her way to have two decorated chocolate easter eggs made up and delivered them to our room personally and this was as she was going off shift. This was just one example of the care and warmth that the staff of Penha Longa extended to us during our stay there were many more for which we unfortunately did not get their names.

We ask you to extend our thanks to everyone at the Penha Longa resort for creating the perfect vacation for us and assure them that we will come back, with our new child, just as soon as we can.

Yours faithfully

Timothy and Margaret Lowe-Price

Room Tip: The resort views are better but the other side gets more sun.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TimothyLP
PenhaLonga, Public Relations Manager at Penha Longa Resort, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Mrs. Mr. Lowe-Price,

In the name of our 180 Ladies & Gentlemen and more specially from our colleagues enhanced in your review, we would truly like to thank you for the time taking in writing this review. These comments make us work and be proud of each day we spent here at Penha Longa and sharing with our guests.

We wish you a happy hour on the birth of your new child and that you are able to visit us all together.

All the best!

Vanessa Tomé
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Close to Estoril motor racing circuit and with a superb golf course immediately outside the main entrance. Rooms very comfortable and generously equipped. Outstanding food and service from discreet and attentive staff. Superb.One note of caution, this level of enjoyment does not come cheaply - the bar drinks are especially pricey.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course, rather than one at the back of the property.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank keys-quay
London
Reviewed 10 April 2012

my mum and i went as a spa break (with spabreaks.com) and we had a 2-4-1 on treatments through march, breakfast included and dinner on 2 nights (out of out 3 night stay)
it was such a wonderful stay and the hotel - being the Ritz - it fantastic. the staff were friendly and really helpful.
we had dinner in the Japanese restaurant the first night and it didnt go too well. (food was delayed and not particulary what we had expected)
however, the manager had come to apolgise personally and we were invited back the next evening. it was fantatstic. the food was delicious and the service was spot on.
the staff at the hotel were great anyway, lots of water bottles and fruit avalible in the fitness suit, heated pool and the out door views are phenomenal. i used the gym and my mum the pool. the out door pool was not hot enough (weather wise) but the views were breathtaking.
it was expecially nice as the hotel wasnt busy (Hyundai ahd a conference) but we fel that it was us a couple of others at some times!
would definatly recommend especially for a quiet spa break! take a taxi to Sinta as the views and the walk are lovely to take in!

Room Tip: the rooms were great and so clean!!! we had a garden view - cannot complain!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I stayed in a standard king room for two nights. The room was large with a balcony and a beautiful view of the golf course. The room was very nicely furnished with a comfortable bed. The bathroom was large with a separate shower and soaking tub. I had dinner at several of the restaurants and found both the food and service to be very good. Service by Carmo (Guest Relations) and the concierge staff were exceptional. I did get to play one round of golf on the Atlantic course and very much enjoyed the experience. The course was well maintained and fun to play. The gym is well equipped and has a nice view to the outside, when exercising.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank dt95
Hampshire
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Stayed here for a conference and I though the hotel was terrific.

Really friendly, efficient and courteous staff. My standard room was spot on - spacious, well equipped, excellent bathroom and really comfortable bed. Lovely views across the lush green golf course and surrounding hills. Very beautiful location. Great food too.

Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the golf course.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Linho
6.4 km away
22.4 km away
Valverde Hotel
Valverde Hotel
#1 of 247 in Lisbon

Been to Penha Longa Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK