“Excellent service for a relaxed enjoyable holiday”

Vivanta by Taj - Fort Aguada, Goa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Sinquerim
Bengalur, India
“Excellent service for a relaxed enjoyable holiday”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We went there to celebrate a friends' birthday in a large group. Obviously a large boisterous group always puts a bit of an extra pressure on hotels. However, this hotel managed it with aplomb! They accommodated all kinds of crazy (but within limits) requests from us and with a smile to boot.

the rooms were nice, large but needs a bit of renovation I think. the swimming pool not too deep but give you enough space to have a good swim as also to play. the food was pretty good at the 24/7 coffee shop but cant say the same for the other restaurants in Taj Village next door.

the best part about the hotel is the property, which is situated near the fort and hence one can take a trip on the narrow path by the sea (at your own risk though) and enjoy the waves lashing against the black granite rocks near the shoreline as also angle for fish!

The housekeeping was very good and offered prompt and courteous response. I think what I liked best was their behaviour, courtesy, helpfulness and smile. Its not always the plush interiors or a great property or a luxurious stay that makes a hotel stay memorable, its the people who represent the ethos of the brand, which matters the most. I would recommend this property to all.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sarbarig
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (785)
  • Arabic first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Ok so i did not go in peek season (late October and early April) or (peak tourist season which is from mid-December to mid-January). I went from 9 July till 13 July 2012 yes monsoon season. BUT should this mean that the standards of a highly respected hotel should drop sooooo far? I was appalled starting from when we arrived (un aware that they should have organised the free shuttle bus to pick us up from the airport we paid 1400 rupees for an A/C taxi instead 1 hour journey!) we questioned the manager on duty (who was pleasant and offered us a refreshing drink an a seat) why they dont have a free shuttle bus and she replied "oh we do, we were not aware you were coming? (what the?) but you have our reservation in front on you, you have our rooms ready BUT you were not aware of our arrival (okay lets just ignore this little mix up).
We were accompanied to our cottage which was pleasant. We freshened up and then went for a little tour of the hotel which seemed fine. We went for pre dinner drinks at the pool bar which was great and comfortable our cocktails were always enjoyable and our waiters were always pleasant. The pool was nice as were our pool guys. 3 Restaurants available the main one which is where the buffet breakfast is served in the morning always cold even though 1 of the mornings we were the first ones there it was still cold unless you had an omelet or eggs made there was a sign saying that they would make you bircher so the first morning thats what i asked for the next few mornings no one understood what i wanted and it took 30 min to 45 min for it to come out! at night this restaurant would convert into an indian buffet. restaurant #2 was italian it was ok and restaurant #3 was seafood not as good as i would have like it to be.
lets go back to our room the 2nd day i left 1/2 a cup of coffee in the morning and when i got back that night it was still there i did not get a fresh clean cup. In the shower i had noticed a fly yes it was still there after they cleaned the room. The internet service kept on cutting out.
I highly recommend you do have a massage at the Taj spa which was amazing i had the Indian massage Sammardana and i had a guy by the name of Malu for 90 min he was so go!
The day that we checked out we payed what was due and the guy behind the desk did not even ask us how our stay was! after spending so much money at this hotel i decided while i was waiting for our free shuttle to pick us up to get a business card to email the manager so it was then that someone came to give me there business card and then ask me how my stay was? so if i would have not asked for this business card they would not have been interested in my input.
Okay thats about it hope i have helped anyone who is thinking of going in monsoon x

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nancy095
Mumbai, India
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Issues faced -

1. I had reached some 4-5 hours earlier than their check in time. Now, I visited the hotel during off season. So, I expected that I will be given early check in. They said they cannot as room is not ready. They also told me that they will inform me as soon as room gets ready. I kept on waiting, but ultimately right some moments past the check in time, I had to walk over again to the reception to check. And they right away gave me the room keys which very well means that room got ready much earlier. But they were least bothered to inform to a waiting guest.

2. Had booked via email, mentioning King size bed for couple as the requirement. Found two queen sized beds moved from their positions to join them. Now, moving one of the bed caused access to all switches for the room (lights/fans etc) to be blocked. When I mentioned this they said that whenever I require any lights etc to be swithed on/off I should call the room service...!!!

3. Wash basin tap was not functioning, Further, bath tub was unusable because of non functioning control over the water flow.

4. After finding above two problems right after entering rooms, I got infuriated. I called the reception and complained. Their respnse was pathetic. I asked them to transfer my call to service manager. They said that they will ask the manager to call me asap, but I had to call again after waiting for some 15 mins, and had to angrily insist that I want to talk right away. Then my call was transferred to the manager.

5. The service manager initially was totally unapologetic and least bothered. Had some heated conversation. I got a call from the manager after a while and I was offered a free upgrade owing to the inconvenience. Now that was a nice gesture BUT I was told to shift right away. And by right away, I mean there were like a lady from reception and a bell boy standing on my gate and urging me again and again to leave the room at that very moment. Now, it had already been half an hour since I settled, so I required some time before I could make a move. But their behaviour was apalling with a very angry look on their faces, and they were repeating again and again to move from the room.

6. Swimming pool so called had rules regarding the swimming costume etc, but people wearing everything apart from swimming costume were allowed freely. But when I wanted to use the pool, the attendent's behaviour was very rought somewhat similar to what we see in Indian Government Services. I would have smacked that bloody guy, if my wife wouldnt have stopped me.

7. Very old furnitures and pathetic old CRT tv in the room even today.

Good bits -

Excellent location and view, food was nice, some parts of service like when I asked for some ointment etc for sun burn - they were quite responsive. Also, stay in fort aguada entitles the guest to use facilities in other taj properties nearby without any charge. Several activities are organized which can keep you occupied.

But nevertheless, definitely

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank agragul
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 21 July 2012

This is a great place to visit if you are looking for a relaxing holiday. The rooms in the main wing of the hotel have an awesome view of the beach and you can actually hear the splash of the waves. The service is perfect, with the staff going out of their way to make our stay comfortable. Shirley and Ajit from the front office were nice enough to upgrade our room and the house-keeping staff Neelima Naik, Nanappa and Benjamin were excellent in sprucing up our room with some exquisite decoration for our anniversary while we were out. Room service is prompt, had a good experiance with one of the staff - Edson. Didnt eat out much at the hotel, however whatever meals we had were good. The hotel should consider using battery operated golf carts to ferry passengers within the hotel as it is more eco-friendly, currently they are using cars. Overall a wonderful place, would love to come back here for our next vacation

Room Tip: Rooms 301-304 have a great view of the beach
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Shagun27
Pantai Cenang, Malaysia
Reviewed 19 July 2012

First we went to the reception to ask which restaurants were open.
We were told 2 , one for Indian/continental cuisine and one specialised in seafood.
We were told to go down and select our restaurant.
In fact we wanted to go for seafood but once we reached down 1 hotel staff told us that the seafood restaurant was only open for dinner ????????????
We went to the other restaurant and I ordered for fish.
When the fish arrived it was smelling and we felt as if we were standing in the middle of the fish market in Panjim.
In fact the fish was rotten !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And they call themselves a 5 star hotel ..........................

Room Tip: no tips i will not stay in a hotel serving rotten fish
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank onesheet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sinquerim
0.3 km away
10.4 km away
Grand Hyatt Goa
Grand Hyatt Goa
#1 of 2 in Bambolim

Been to Vivanta by Taj - Fort Aguada, Goa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK