“One of the most Unusual Hotel Experience in the World.”

Gamirasu Cave Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ayvali
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Anxious to stay at a real "cave" hotel and surprised at our mixed accomodations from one of the most sumptuous honeymoon suites to a small cozy man cave. Food and wine exceptional and a night of music brought out the "belly dancing" within us. Friendly reception and an interesting history. Highly recomended.

Room Tip: If given the opportunity to choose a room number #6 and #22-they're close to the entrance.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sylviafrommermracky
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Gamirasu Cave Hotel

Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed with my wife and two teenagers at Gamirasu in March 2012. The stay was wonderful and I really can't say enough about the accommodating staff and hotel. First of all, I had many questions before leaving New York and all of them were answered promptly and clearly. The hotel also arranged a free transfer from the airport in Kayseri which went off flawlessly even though we were over an hour late to arrive. At Gamirasu, we had a lovely suite with two rooms, two bathrooms and a sitting area, which were very clean and comfortable. The hotel staff was extremely attentive, greeted us warmly with free drinks and took care of all of our needs. The hotel's restaurant was also very nice. Our breakfasts there were copious and delicious, and our two dinners were also very nice. We left early in the morning on our last day and even though we departed before breakfast was served, the staff opened up the kitchen early and brought a full breakfast to our suite. We all appreciated this effort and itnwas reflective of the level of service we experienced during our three day stay. I recommend Gamirasu highly!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Dwaltch
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Hi there, This was my first business trip to Turkey and in the region of Keyseri and I stayed two nights in Gamirasu cave Hotel and it was fantastic experience. From the hotel owner Mr. Ibrahim to the General Manager Ms. Hamida and all other staff excellent very caring professional service. There is no words to describe for their wonderfulness and I will recommond to each and everyone to stay atleast 3nights or more. I will be back to this hotel again. Thank you so much Hamida and her staff.

Room Tip: Room No. 6 and you will love it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank rztravels
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The best quality of this charming cave hotel is decidedly the excellent service by its staff, led by Hamide, their general manager. She is the best hands-on professional there is: warm, big smiles, cheerful, helpful, caring, and tireless. Under her guidance, the staff is generally outstanding as well, despite the language barrier (English is somewhat understood) and a couple of issues of miscommunication.

The other positives of this hotel include free wifi (in your room), as well as two laptops in the reception area for guests to use. Their breakfast buffet is fairly extensive and typical for the region, with cheeses, veggies, olives, halvas (3 kinds - plain, chocolate, pistachios), breads and pastries, and a couple of hot items. Eggs cooked-to-order are available without additional charge. Tea/coffee set-up and bottled water are also available in your room without charge.

Upon arrival, guests are typically charmed by the remote setting, as well as the unique cave rooms that take one out of ordinary life (for the typical western and/or urban tourists, at least). However, reality quickly sets in after a day or so. This is a boutique hotel with limited facilities: no gym, health club, and limited common space. There is a nice outdoor terrace, but it was mostly empty during my 3-night stay due to the cold and windy weather. They have a pool, but it was closed. (I had emailed previously and was assured by Hamide's assistance that it'd be open and heated during my stay in April, but that wasn't the case after all.)

The rooms look gorgeous on their website (the photos make the colors jump out and render everything more brilliant and fairy tale-like). I was upgraded from a standard to a deluxe room, which was nice but not that comfortable. The novelty of staying in a cave room quickly wore off: the 2 armchairs were lumpy and uncomfortable; the desk was tiny, and the desk chair wasn't the right height, the round bed (it's a special 'cave room') was supposed to be for romance but just not comfortable or practical. The jacuzzi tub in the room (outside of the bathroom with a double shower) was nice, though.

The daily tours typically end by 5pm, and with nothing else to do and no public facilities, the room becomes our refuge, but it was just not conducive to read, view streaming video on our laptop and relax due to the lack of furniture, as well as the lack of comfortable furniture, in the room. It was hard to lounge and relax in the room.

If you pay for, or better yet, are lucky enough to get upgraded to, one of their suites, you may have a better experience than we did. But at their listed prices (our deluxe room is listed at 185 euros per night during high season - though we stayed under a packaged rate including domestic flights, hotels and tours - and the suites are way over 200 euros, the top 3 suites are listed at 550 and 1200 euros!), I really wonder about the value for money.

Apparently cave houses command a big premium - for sale as well as rental - in the region, and so cave hotels accordingly must be able to charge hefty premium prices over conventional hotels. If I were to return, I'd rather stay at a luxury modern/conventional hotel, in order to have a more comfortable stay and better value for money. After all, I saw and explored caves for 3 full days in the region, and I didn't necessarily need to retreat to a cave room in the evening. Maybe for one night.

By the way, the hotel is in the middle of nowhere but provides a free car/van service to the nearby town, Urgup, about 15-20 minute drive, any time you'd like, both ways. That is a much appreciated and necessary service. The town is good for shopping and dining.

On a final note, I had an unfortunate parting experience with this hotel. On my last morning, we ordered a vegetarian omelette, only to find out that it contained small pieces of meat. It was cut to resembled small red peppers, so I had taken a bite before realizing the problem. After having been a vegetarian for over 3 decades, this of course was rather revolting physically and emotionally to me. I had advised the hotel of my diet before my arrival, and had no problems the first 2 mornings, so I did not expect any problem on my last morning. This was surely due to a miscommunication between the waiter and the chef. But it should not have happened. At a boutique hotel that supposedly provides personalized service to its guests, the staff should all be aware of each guest's needs and requests.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
13  Thank sfvoyage
Ibrahimbastutan, General Manager at Gamirasu Cave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear Guest ,

Thank you for your trip advisor feedback. I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed our hospitality in our hotel and the charm of our staff. I am really sorry to hear that you would have preferred to stay in a Luxury/modern conventional hotel in a city rather than our boutique cave hotel in a traditional village atmosphere. I understand that you are used to regular hotel service similar to Hilton type and you can imagine it is hard for us to please any guest with such an expectancy in our Cave hotel. Gamirasu was selected as one of the two Luxury hotels from Turkey in the Middle East by Forbes. We accept that every one of us has a different sense of Luxury and comfort.

We do not have a gym or fitness center but usually our guests enjoy the hiking and walks in the valleys and village just around the hotel.

Our rooms have all the modern conveniences with Onyx, Marble floors in the bathrooms, jacuzzi and fire place. The interior of the rooms are preserved to respect the historical value of the hotel (as it is part of a Byzantine monastic retreat with a one thousand year old church) and the decoration is Ottoman/Turkish traditional style. If you had requested the change of seats, sofa or chairs, we would immediately do that to match your comfort.

PS: I apologize for the pool, the beginning of April this year was unexpectedly cold with rain and storm, now the pool is full and as it is advertised, our swimming pool is the only heated outdoor swimming pool in our area so far.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

Awesome place to be. The caves are so beautifully done that you will be all smiles. Hotel staff is extremely helping. Rooms are really comfortable and clean. When the lights lit up at night, you are like, WOW !!! .. If in cappadocia, then Gamirasu comes as a definite choice. A very unique experience and a very relaxing place. Since, cappadocia is away from the city hustle-bustle, this place turns out to be extremely peaceful and a stay here is quite refreshing :)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Charul G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ayvali
10.5 km away
11.4 km away
Kelebek Special Cave Hotel
11.1 km away
Cappadocia Cave Resort & Spa

Been to Gamirasu Cave Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK