Stayed in January with a group of friends. We arranged for the hotel staff to pick us up at the train station. The bus ride up the mountains to the hotel was extremely bumpy and uncomfortable. However, when we got to the hotel, The Terraces looked beautiful and promising. It was winter season, and the entire place was covered in snow. The hotel staff were remarkably welcoming too. They served us warm welcome drinks and homemade cookies as we warmed up and settled in.
We were then taken to our rooms, where my impression of the place changed. Firstly, the room my partner and I shared had a single gas heater which was not sufficient in keeping the room at a comfortable temperature. My breath fogged up every time I spoke! The bathroom tiles and shower curtains were mouldy. The hot water came intermittently, making showers a traumatic experience. There was a mouldy chip in the desk drawer. The tv didn't work. Electricity was erratic. And to top it all, on the first day, we spied a rat in the room's (unused) fireplace. It scampered back up the chimney and we lived in fear of it returning throughout our 3days/2night stay. Throughout our stay, we had to call on housekeeping to fix/replace things so many times, it bordered on embarrassing. However, I must note that they were extremely obliging and tried their best in assisting us.
The cleanliness of the food was questionable as after my 3 day stay, my partner and I had a tummy upset. The massage I had from the spa wasn't great, they couldn't keep the room warm enough. We had to walk in the snow and up steps to our rooms. There were no rails at some parts, and there were a few from our group that had fallen from walking up and down the icy steps. I would not recommend this place for older adults and young children especially in the winter.
The view of the snowy peaks were at all times amazing but I didn't feel like I could enjoy it at The Terraces. Maybe it's better during warmer months.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With pleasure, we invite you to our little hamlet at Kanatal, known as The Terraces. The Property is perched at an altitude of 8500 ft, offering a spectacular view of the snow clad Garhwal Himalayas as from each one of the 20 well-appointed rooms and a luxury suite. It is a place surrounded by forests, chirping birds, unambiguous blues, friendly folks and so on. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, ClearTrip, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Agoda and Yatra so you can book your The Terraces reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Terraces Hotel Garhwal
- Terraces Hotel Uttarakhand
- The Terraces Garhwal, Uttarakhand, India