“Nature's unperturbed beauty” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pelling

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Nagpur, India
108 helpful votes
“Nature's unperturbed beauty”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

We had visited pelling in off-season (june ending).
Overall it is a very nice place for those who love natural beauty and adventure. It has scenic lakes, awesome waterfalls, rapids, gorge bridge, rock garden and monasteries. Yes lots of waterfalls , monasteries. You also get to see scenic views of everest, K2 , himalayan peaks.It's thin roads are prone landslides frequently.
Only problem we suffered was for food. We had to order 2 hours in advance, no restauran had ready food available. On top of that very few choices left for veggies in cuisine.
If food is not the priority then it is a must visit .......... as it is a very different and un-touched hill station.

1 Thank NabbuNuts
India
1 helpful vote
“Small hillstation to sit and view Kanchanzonga”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2010

A small hill station to spend few days.One can go there to beat the heat of summer and sit and view the Great Kanchanzonga right from your hotel room.It's actually visible from the whole town.There are a few places of interest not far from the town.One can go to the Khecheopalri lake,also known as the wishing lake; or go to Yuksam the first capital of Sikkim.

1 Thank manvi10
kolkata
“In the Lap of Kan-chen-zonga!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2010

I was very excited and curious about my trip to Pelling as I was travelling with my girlfriend and wanted her to have an amazing time with me. We had planned a trip for Sikkim and wanted to start with Pelling. Pelling is a small tourist town divided into upper peling, middle pelling and lower pelling. We stayed there for three days,earlier we were wondering if three days were appropriate as there may not be enough to see but if you are a nature and peace lover then you will find this place more interesting than some big tourist hubs like Gangtok and Kalimpong. The early dawn view of Mt Kanchenzonga is breathtaking! On a clear day you can see the whole range with its magnificent beauty. We also did some cultural experience by taking to the locals and having Thongba( a millet based drink tastes close to beer),you can avail this drink in Himalayan Restaurant in lower Pelling but going before dark is advisable. You have other attractions too like Pemayangtse Monastery, Khechopalri lake,Rabdentse ruins and Kanchenjunga waterfalls.

Guwahati
3 helpful votes
“The peaceful Pelling”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2008

I visited this peaceful West Sikkim Town in on November'06. Let me go into the details so that it will give you a deeper idea. This town is small and only way to connect is through roads. Tourist facilities like hotels, restaurants etc are not in plenty. Though there are a couple of good hotels, but you need to plan ahead and book one before you reach this town. Ideally your journey will start from New Jalpaiguri(NJP) or Siliguri (both in West Bengal). Over here itself you can book your hotel. Options are few but ideally you can choose from luxury to lower ends. We chose a economy hotel. One more thing here. Most of the hotels provide all three major meals. While you book you can clarify this. The cost is very much season dependent. During Sep-Oct, the costs are high. At the onset of winter prices fall as few tourist visit the place. But this doesn't mean you dont get the cream. Infact, I would suggest to tour Pelling somewhere in early November. Your mode of transport will be Tata Sumo or Mahindra Max. If you are travelling in a group of aout 5-6, it comes cheaper (cost per person) as you may like to book the entire cab. It takes about 4-5 hrs from Siliguri/NJP.
The most attractive thing about this place is the majestic view of Kanchenjonga range it offers. Wake up early (before sun rises). As light pours in, and dawn goes to morning, the colour of the now covered mountains changes from Silver to amber then to gold. This is a breathtaking sight. These snow-covered beauties are perfectly visible only during the first half of the day. Towards noon, clouds gather and almost cover them up.
Nearby, there are a couple of good places to visit. Like Khechupalri Holy lake, Rock Garden, Pemayangtse Monastery, Rabdantse Ruins, and couple other falls. All these can be covered in a local trip.
On the bad side, all I can say is, the hotel was a little bad choice. In a way, food was good but cleanniness was an issue.
Overall, it was great being there. It was refreshing and I enjoyed every moment of my stay in this peaceful town.

3 Thank gonortheast
Mumbai
10 helpful votes
“Best place during I found during entire 8 day North East Region (NER) LTC trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2008

Pelling: Great but small town in the midst of Himalayas, tedious to approach by the rough and tough roads. No regular helicopter service. Perhaps the service is for VIPs and lavish spenders.

Best place to have great view of peaks of Kanchendzonga range of Himalayas. Just get up around 5:00am in the month of October and see the peaks getting golden light from the rising sun (because of less clouds, and possibility of getting a clear view of snow clad peaks).

I stayed in Hotel Sonamchen, close to the 'Old Helipad' and 'New Helipad' on the top of one of the peaks of the town. If one asks for a mountain view room (which I got by chance), can see the peaks from bed as well as bath rooms. Just relax enjoy the show. I strongly recommend a visit to this place for a couple of days (minimum).

Other friends of my group, who visited the place could not see the peaks due to clouds, but I was lucky to have the peaks all the time before me.... Thanks for reading.... Prabhakar Gundlapalli

3 Thank PrabhakarGundlapalli

Been to Pelling? Share your experiences!