Eskdale Hotel(Langholm)
  • Restaurant
Border House(Langholm)
Hotels.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 November 2015

Having stayed at the Crown twice before, I had a fondness for the place - cosy and functional. Okay the owner slept in so we had to wait for breakfast, and he gets angry if your booking doesn't match his memory, but the rest of the staff are lovely.
On our most recent stay (3 separate rooms for three colleagues) I was in a different room (Room 6 I think) which had a few problems:
- a constant gurgling from a boiler or pipes
- TV having no signal
- Towel rail fell off the wall
- Mirror sitting on the floor
- All plug sockets bashed into the plasterboard walls, so dangerous and difficult to use.
So I asked the barmaid, who was very glad to give me a new room. She asked for a list of the problems, to pass on.
As I arrived for breakfast the owner challenged me on having left a list of complaints. I asked if he'd been to check, which he hadn't, and he refused to do so, instead getting more angry and insulting me in front of my colleagues. We did agree that my colleagues and I should take our business elsewhere, and we shall. We stayed for breakfast, during which he hurried upstairs with the key, no doubt to check my claims. Was there an apology when he came down? Of course not.
Thankfully locals have recommended two other hotels on the high street.

Room Tip: Don't take Room 6 (top floor on the left). Ask them to switch on the TV when you get to the room.
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
4  Thank Finlas
Reviewed 13 September 2015

Having been on a family holiday for a week we were very fortunate to have found this little gem. We ate here most night and once during the day and it could not be faulted in any way what so ever. The food was delicious in every way with a flare for presentation. One of our party was gluten free and when we asked what they provide we were given the answer "you tell us what you want and we will cook it" how great was that.
The staff were very friendly, courteous and fun loving having a great rapport with all the customers. We ate here at lunchtime on our last day and we had to use the coffee shop which was lovely and very popular with the locals which says a lots.
The portions were large and in the words of one of the waitresses "if you go from here hungry then you have had a bad meal"
This little gem cannot be faulted in any way at all and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Well done to all concerned. 10/10 you deserve it.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne V
Reviewed 13 July 2015

My wife and I were staying in Northumberland, and decide to cross the border into Scotland. Our nearest Scottish town was Langholm. We decide to have lunch at The Crown Hotel. The hosts were welcoming and the food was good. We would visit again.

Room Tip: The food was of a good standard and reasonably priced.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2015

Dropped in by chance passing through, quaint little town handy for travelling to other locations, we enjoyed the night, welcoming landlord and friendly bar staff and regulars, rooms are clean with good shower and fresh cooked breakfast plentiful. good value.

Room Tip: our room was comfortable clean and well maintained, good shower.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2015

4 of us stayed on Saturday the 25th of April. From the welcoming staff to the "fill your boots" full breakfast everything was great. All the party enjoyed it and we're already considering coming back. Many thanks to all at the Crown Hotel!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family