All reviewsoxborough hallthe pubcoach house roomsnational trustmain buildingjohn lennonsunday lunchunderfloor heatingopen fireon arrivalfish piepork bellynt propertycoaching innsea bassfour poster bedfood was lovely
Reviewed 25 January 2018

I've popped in to this pub for a pint on the way home from work several times so we decided to try the food. Alas, we were very disappointed, both in the price (it's not cheap) and the quality of the food. I ordered the garlic prawns as a starter and sent them back 3 times. The first time they were forgotten. The second time they were cold and the third time there was virtually no sauce. I suspect that they had just been reheated in a microwave and were tough as a result. The waitress deducted them from our bill, but for a pub that prides itself on the quality of its food it was very disappointing.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Catkin P, Owner at The Bedingfeld Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Dear Andy S

I am not sure what to say as you are remembered by the staff on duty for being very difficult to please.

We will always continue though to try and please our guests. There are many instances where we do get it right so perhaps this is a one off? Very disappointing for us all, indeed.

However, I apologise again for your upset but note you say the waitress already deducted the prawns from your bill - this is not what we do - we investigate first (photos/taste/chefs comments) and then maybe credit your bill later with an apology of course. We take every meal seriously and this is the format we will abide by in future.

Catkin, Giles and the Bedingfeld team

Reviewed 23 January 2018

I bought a 2 nights at the Bedingfeld Arms for my hubby for Christmas. We used to go to this pub frequently over 30 years ago when using a friend’s country cottage (it was run by someone called Chris).

We stayed in Coach House no 1, which is a block of small chalet type rooms just to the left of the main building. The bed was lovely and comfortable. The room was a little chilly when we got there and although we turned the underfloor heating up, it stayed chilly until we returned that night after we had had a meal and drink in the bar. During the night it got so hot that despite me turning down the heating to low, I had to open a window. We went out for the day the next morning and upon returning discovered that the room had not been cleaned. I reported this to a man behind the bar who immediately offered to get it cleaned or accept an upgrade. I told him not to worry about cleaning the room or upgrading us as we were settled where we were, just to provide some more milk, tea, coffee and sugar and toiletries which he did straight away.

The pub has changed a lot since we last went. The bar being in the middle of 2 seating areas for the restaurant. The bar prices were expensive and the restaurant prices a little expensive but the food was lovely and the breakfast huge! We didn't eat till the evening both days after the breakfast (and we didn't have any cereals with it). We invited some friends from Brandon to come and visit us in the pub the second night and they loved it.

We had a little issue with the bill which I didn't discover till I got home but was rectified after I emailed.

All in all a lovely little break

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear tew56

Thank you for your review.

Humble apologies for the cleaning oversight - what a shocker but glad you were offered an upgrade in recognition of the omission. Some things are out of our control until too late. Always on the look out to make sure everything runs smoothly.

How amazing to come back after 30 years and after 6 owners in the last 10 years - a lot must have changed! Do send us copies of any photos you might have of that time. The village history society would be very interested in adding it to their archive.

We have upped our game and therefore the prices have to match - but we hope the service, welcome and excellent food (as well as accomodation) make it all worth while - perfect for special occasions.

Come back and visit us again, with the photos too - don't leave it for another 30 years!

Catkin, Giles and All the Bedingfeld team

Reviewed 22 January 2018

My husband and I do a fair amount of travelling and this is the first time have felt obliged to write a negative review due to the way that we were treated during our stay.
We stayed at the Bedingfeld Arms whilst seeing family between Christmas and New Year.
We arrived at 2100 after letting staff know we would be checking in late - to a freezing cold room , it was -2 and the window had been left open all day . No soap in the bathroom and grubby carpets.
The 2nd night of our stay there was a noisy party with loud music in the restaurant under our bedroom that kept us awake until 0330 - apparently had been booked in for ages but no one had bothered to let us know.

The Manageress apologised when we left and promised us that the owner would contact us - She has not had the courtesy to do so yet

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoDrum
VenetianStar, Owner at The Bedingfeld Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2018

Dear JoDrum

I am very sad to read your disappointing review - and indeed I had meant to be touch but I have and still not recovered from the knockout Aussie flu virus or something similar - it is sweeping through my family and looks like everyone else when listening to the news.

However, I had a gentle reminder from our excellent Front of House manager, Vicki. You beat me there with your review(s) just posted.

Sadly, I cannot wind the clock back and I remember well the occasion you stayed as we had a problem with all the rooms heating and hot water on the night of 29th December - all the guests were freezing! One kind customer friend offered to find oil somehow first thing the following morning but it turned out to be something else the electrician later fixed.

Of course I apologise though and also for the noisy party that did indeed go on Far Too Long. I am trying to think how we can manage this aspect more effectively - as we never find out til the following morning when nothing can be done. Perhaps I should line up a number to ring or whatsApp if there is a noise problem then we can contact the bar staff direct to sort it out immediately.

Again I do apologise for having such a boisterous party - there was another party in the private dining room where ideally noisy parties should be as it is soundproof as well as away from guest bedrooms.

House Keeping have been told about the lack of soap and the window and the carpets - this will be monitored more carefully.

Vicki naturally apologised on behalf of the Bedingfeld and she gave you the full breakfast on the house as a gesture of goodwill. I am not sure what we can do to reassure you that this night was sadly a one off and we very much plan to not be repeated. Your first night illustrates what is more normal for a good nights sleep. We have no traffic and are generally a very peaceful location.

I do hope you will return and try us again.

With best wishes

Catkin
Owner

Reviewed 22 January 2018

Stayed for two nights in January. Pleasant location opposite the village green and oxburgh hall (NT). Lovely log fire and friendly helpful staff. Courtyard room was ideal with a dog with wooden floor and direct access from the driveway. Comfy bed. Downside was the people in the room next to us who kept their dogs in the landrover which they reversed up to the door so that every time the dogs barked in the night they could yell loudly at them. I would stay there again but make sure people at a shoot weren't staying next door! Breakfast was not included and expensive at £9.50 if you wanted cooked

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Susan H

Thank you for taking the trouble to write about your recent stay with us.

We have taken on board your comments and would agree totally. Most people staying with us, on a shoot or not - have well behaved dogs to match the owners good behaviour. It seems sadly this was not the case for either party. We will remind guests staying to respect others staying.

Breakfast is not included as quite often guests leave early for a meeting/work and prefer the choice. A full freshly cooked breakfast with the full works is usually considered excellent value so I am surprised by your thoughts on this. Again we shall look at nearby Inns and compare value and quality.

I am so glad you appreciate a lovely log fire and indeed friendly helpful staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Catkin
Owner

Reviewed 22 January 2018

Although a little out of the way, well worth a visit if you are after something different. The menu is not your usual pub fare but very good indeed. Staff make you feel very welcome. Something a little special!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear andysimmons7809

Thank you for your lovely feedback. It all adds up and helps us all know where we are in terms of what our standards are. We trust you will return again and again.

Catkin, Giles and the Bedingfeld team