“A Dukesome Holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Khandala
Mumbai, India
“A Dukesome Holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

The best time to visit the Duke's Retreat is when the monsoon is just setting in. Thunderous clouds rolling into the ghats, waterfalls that appear spontaneously, the verdant greenery, and the rolling mist all conjure a spectacular setting. All the sight-seeing can be accplished right from the arm-chair in your hotel room. The rooms themselves are well-apointed, the food is decent and the swimming pool remains open for long and is clean. Staff and service are responsive and non-intrusive. The property organises cultural shopping and puppet shows to regale guests, which is very thoughtful in case you think venturing out in a thunderstorm is a bad idea. I reccomend this property to one and all.

• Stayed June 2012
, General Manager at The Dukes Retreat, responded to this review, 22 June 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community.

We are glad to know that you have explored the hotel and really appreciate you taking time out in sharing your experience. On behalf of the entire team I would like to mention that your review is very heart warming especially since you have reccomended our hotel and have shared details about the services and facilities offered by us.

We look forward to being at your service once again.

Athena Kaul
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Navi Mumbai, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

I did not want to spend too much of time travelling, hence I selected a hotel in Khandala - 90 Kms from Navi Mumbai. The Dukes Retreat is a place to stay with 5 star amenities and cordial service gesture from the staff. My Kid enjoyed the maximum and was very eager to get into the pool. The weather was good, and was supposed to rain in a day or two.

Room Tip: Go for an Executive Room, facing the valley
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sankar N
AthenaGM, General Manager at The Dukes Retreat, responded to this review, 8 June 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community.

We really appreciate you taking time out and sharing your experience at our hotel. It is rewarding to know that we were able to make your stay memorable and comfortable.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Pune
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

I wanted a quick gateaway, somewhere close to Pune for my husband's birthday. Selected this destination after reading the reviews here and was not at all disappointed. The staff is well-trained, rooms are really good. I had ordered a cake from the hotel's bakery which was yummy. We did not opt for the meal inclusive plan as my 2.5 yrs old son rarely sits in one place to eat especially when he is close to a swimming pool and play area!! So I preferred ordering food in the room. I just wish there was more options in the menu if one wished to order in the room. Also I had asked for a room with a better view twice, as mine was in the corner of the second floor, and 'good view'' was the only reason I had selected the hotel.

Overall experience was good. The pool and gaming zone were well-maintained. Service was very prompt. The room itself was also quite tastefully designed, well maintained and comfortable.

Room Tip: Though the staff claims that all rooms have good view, avoid the corner rooms (mine was facing a wal...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Vipula_W
AthenaGM, General Manager at The Dukes Retreat, responded to this review, 4 June 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community.

All of us are delighted to know that your stay was enjoyable. Your appreciation for our team members is heartening and I am glad you could take back fond memories of the hotel with you.

We have shared your valuable feedback and suggestions with the relevant teams in our hotel.

We look forward to your return and assure you of our best service and attention at all times.

Mumbai, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I have visited this resort, multiple times, but would just stop by for lunch and drinks and move on. Never actually stayed at the resort. This time i stayed and was really happy with the experience.

I had planned a night stay at The Dukes Retreat for my wife's birthday. When I wrote to inquire about the room - I got an email back from the front office manager (Mr Yasar Baig) with a special price for the room - considering it was my wife's birthday.

The manager also ensured, that the room was decorated with balloons to welcome us. They also arranged for a complementary birthday cake. My wife also received a beautiful bouquet of flowers from the General Manager (though we didn't get a chance to thank him personally).

The Deluxe room - we were provided, had a fantastic view. The interiors were very well done and maintained. The room service was prompt and the staff was always polite and friendly.

The Panorama Cafe has a beautiful view and I would highly recommend visitors to sit and enjoy few drinks in the cafe, enjoying the magnificent view.

We had all are meals in the resort and were not disappointed. The sandwiches were really good, although i didnt enjoy the Kathi roll. Breakfast was average - I would expect a more elaborate spread and do away with the lunch buffet.

Overall I really enjoyed the stay and hospitality of the Resort. Special thanks to Mr Yasar and the reception staff and the valet service (I am sorry i don't remember the names)

One recommendation - though there is swimming pool, and some games (table tennis, carrom etc), there should be some more recreational activities like boardgames, books etc in the small room where there were paintings put up for display (not sure what was that room for)

Once again, thanks for making my wife's birthday special. I will highly recommend this place to my friends and family.

Room Tip: The Delluxe rooms are really good...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BunC
AthenaGM, General Manager at The Dukes Retreat, responded to this review, 24 May 2012

Thank you for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community.

Nothing gives us more joy than to know that our guests had a memorable experience. We are truly honoured and inspired that you will be recommending our hotel to your friends and family.
I would like to mention that your review is truly rewarding especially because you have recognized associates from our team.
We appreciate your feedback and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations in a few areas. We have shared your valuable feedback with the relevant teams in our hotel and assure you of a better experience the next time.
We await the opportunity to welcome and serve you once again.
Thane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

I wanted to have a great time with my family in Khandala to celebrate my sons birthday on 11 th may,
In my search for the best hotel in Khandala, I found The Dukes Retreat.
I went through the trip advisor reviews (sweet and sour) and finally selected The Dukes Retreat.

Booking:

I called their Mumbai office and written an email as well for booking, but unfortunately rooms were not available during the period of my sons birthday.
So they provided me the availability for 8 and 9 th, and we booked the same.
I requested the roadmap from the booking staff, but it looks that they missed my request.

Drive: It was an easy and pleasant drive from Mumbai, as soon as we crossed the Khandala ghat on Mumbai Pune Expressway we saw the Khandala Exit, We took that exit, and paid Pollution tax then took a right and reached this beautiful property quickly.

Check in: As per the booking email the the chek-in time they provided was 1 PM (Some hotel booking websites list this time as 12:00 PM).
We reached there by 10:40 and they were happy to provide us an early check in.

Ambiance: The Resort is well maintained. It is quite beautiful and it is amidst good natural surroundings. Pleasant lighting, light music with gentle natural breeze greets you in the night when you sit near the panorama café swimming pool, which makes you feel great.
This is actually the fourth floor and entrance is also on the same floor.

Food & Drink: I will just say food and Drinks were Excellent, I tried most of the veg and non veg preparations, it was just great. I met the chef and personally thanked him for his great work. In fact I will say every one to book the Rooms with Lunch and Dinner Plan (as per your convenience).

Housekeeping: Excellent Housekeeping Services, They cleaned our room twice a day and never disturbed us, they some how check when we are not in the room and do their work without disturbing a minute of our time.
All Our concerns were handled within 5 minute of our request (Great Housekeeping).

Children Play Area: Nice but small play area.

Gym: Nice and tight on space (more equipments in comparatively small area).

Customer Service: Excellent, you guys are great in customer service.

Special Thanks:

Sashi (Thank you for quick service with smile).
Mr Kipgen: Great Customer service skills and good management.
Chef’s: Thank you for all the delicious work.

Surprise: Just before the check out we went for breakfast and when we came back we found a gift from Hotel on top of the rooms table, It was some Chikki, I never had such delicious chikki earlier. (I will be thankful if Dukes can start supplying this on request as well).

Now Suggestions:

1. Please Provide Room freshener and bathroom fresheners in the rooms (by default).
2. Please arrange some security around chairman’s lawns so that guests can enjoy the
natural beauty there without any un welcomed interference.
3. After watering the trees and equipments around play area, please get the playing equipments dried. Children’s get wet as they do not always notice the water on the equipments.

Room Tip: 1. Rooms with Balcony are good, but you hear the highway noise when you open the doors. 2. Avoid Ro...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RahulKanungo, General Manager at The Dukes Retreat, responded to this review, 12 May 2012
Dear Shanker K

We appreciate your time to offer such a detailed feedback . We are extremely happy to know that you had a great stay .
We made a note of your suggestions and we will ensure that they are implemented .

regards

Rahul Kanungo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Khandala
3.6 km away
Picaddle - The Luxury Boutique Resort by Meritas
11.1 km away
The Machan
The Machan
#3 of 67 in Lonavala
4.5 km away
Upper Deck Resort Pvt. Ltd.
4.5 km away
2.9 km away
The Orchard Resort
The Orchard Resort
#14 of 67 in Lonavala

Been to The Dukes Retreat? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK