“Good Property, Very average host.”
Review of Inchara Homestay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shimoga
Inchara Homestay
Ranked #8 of 21 Shimoga B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I am a traveler who largely depend on recommendations and reviews before choosing a stay option. In this case I solely went by trip advisor reviews, but looking at more positive reviews I thought it would be a good experience. This is not the first time I am booking a home stay and in the past we have done a lot of home stays. I was very disappointed with the host and food of this homestay. traveled as a family over the long weekend of Aug 15, lucky that I got this homestay at the last minute when most of them were running full.

Some of the positive features of this home stay.
1. Excellent property and greenery all around
2. Clean and Spacious Rooms
3.Well Maintained Common areas
4. Enough space of privacy midst lot of other guest.
5.Center to visit Sakrebaylu, Manndegadde,Tavrekoppa and Gajnur Dam and Jog Falls.
6.Helpful support Staff and cook.

Some feedback

Since its a large property and there is enough space, it wont harm them if they can have a small kids play area with slides, see/saw , swing etc... when you travel will toddlers they easily get board as there is noting much to do, one can a take a nice stroll but that wont help much. There TT/Badmiton or Carom wont help much if there are too many guest around or with toddlers. When we verbally gave this feedback to the owner of the homestay he was not even ready to acknowledge this. Also he clearly lacks friendliness and helpful attitude which is required in such a profession.

Next the most important aspect Food
The food was very basic by nature, when people travel on holiday next to relaxation the most other important aspect is good tasty food. the food we were served for two days were more or less the same for both lunch and dinner with only difference is the vegetable used. And it was quiet a put off. after my second meal I got really bored and just did the curd rice.just so to mention the mango pickle they served was awesome.
The breakfast option was very limited only to one of the variety
Day 1 it was Neer Dosa and chutney and
Day 2 it was Akki roti with Alu Curry, god save those who do not like it.

They had absolutely no options of any kind for evening snacks, infact we requested them to make something for us on Day 2 as we were quiet hungry.after a day long outing to nearby places. Thankfully the cook obliged and made us some onion pakoras.
They should really look at the menu options they serve in the house. We were served just the same type of curry/sambar/rasam for all the meals with just the variation in vegetable used. Just imagine eating the same things for the rest of two days :( Bad experience especially for foodies.

The other thing which came as a shocker was, they made us spend an additional 1000 K for the driver for his lunch/dinner expense which I found was very expensive for the kind of food we were served. Let alone they did not even have a common dorm for the driver to stay and this was sheer exploitation from the landlord.we did not argue with them as this would have spoiled our entire vacation.

TV in the common area , the remote was not functioning well,

The landlord was quiet unfriendly and at a point made us feel that we were at his mercy. After dusk we literally had nothing much to do. Initially we had plans to just spend time at the homestay and relax but we had to alter our plans as we we had nothing much to explore in the property nor had friendly host.
But to some degree the landlady engaged us during our dinner with some small conversations.
I manged to get back home some of the yummy pickle she had made.

Overall we did not enjoy much of our stay in this place. Surely not a recommended place if you have other options available. It might be a good stop over option if you are visiting other places, but might be quiet expensive for just a overnight stay.

Room Tip: Choose Rooms away from the dining area/common area as they are spacious and over looks garden
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank RanjaniManthri

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Of course, I may not be the target demographic, or maybe I am the picky traveler. My review is totally out of line with the other reviews. Let me structure the review in sections.

When:
We traveled in the monsoon season (July).

Short summary:
It was an okay stay. But I felt like I was an unwanted free-loader in a poor relative's place. I am unlikely to re-visit, given the other choices available.

I could have complained and whined and moaned about things and gotten some of it fixed, but then everyone (family) is in a sour mood afterwards and the vacation is ruined.

Web-site inaccuracies:
- It says rooms have attached bathroom and tv facilities. There is one small tv in the main dining area (see other reviews).
- Couldn't get a decent mobile signal within the facilities with airtel.

Room:
- The room was indeed spacious and clean. However, quite dark.
- Beds, pillows were sufficient. I wished they had kept a jug of water and a couple of glasses/cups in the room. Over the years, I have come to expect these courtesies, the absence of which annoyed me.
- Major issues:
- Ceiling and bathroom door covered with mold/fungus. It is a health hazard.
I know 'coz as kids, we have done the cleaning weekly in our home in similar terrain.
- The bathroom floor, tiles and fixtures are all faded yellow with age, but clean. So this was only an eye-sore.
- The water in the bathroom is always a muddy brown - because source of water is an open well. I am very uncomfortable with this, but others may not.
- Hot water was available whenever needed.

Hospitality:
The two women who help practically run every thing. Very friendly faces. The proprietor gives darshan once a day. Not a problem if things run like clockwork.
The proprietor has more than his fair share of rough edges.
When we met him for the 1st time the end of day 1, what he asked was "why did you come here -- in this season", with a clear tone and implication of unwelcomeness.
We asked to borrow an umbrella and the response was "people usually carry their own umbrellas". (no willingness to discuss anything more).
We asked what activities we could do, and the response was literally "Have you seen our web-site. It is all there." End of discussion!
Any issue we bring up is promptly dismissed.
There was literally no help or attempt at or appearance of helping.

Food:
- We got vegetarian food. Quality was good.
- Since the pricing is all-inclusive, things are not really unlimited.
- Service was okay, but the limited quantities bugged me.
- I get ticked off when people aggressively try to clear the table before I am close to done eating.
- There seemed to be no option to get an early morning coffee/tea.

Activities:
- Table-tennis only, because it was rainy season. Practically room-arrest. Can't even walk around much.
- The unhelpful host didn't make matters any better.
- Should have brought a bunch of indoor games along with us.

Room Tip: You don't really have a choice.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank JustYARandomGuy
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We (2 families) stayed here for 2 nights in July'14. The experience was so good that I would go back here again on my future future trips to Shimoga/Thirthahalli.

Pro's:
1) It's located almost midway between Shimoga and Thirthahalli, ideally placed for anyone trying to explore the northern part of western ghats. It's a 17 acre farm, nicely spaced out cottages, dining hall, indoor games hut and the plantations. Once can easily spend 2 days just relaxing in this place
2) The food was exemplary, both veg and non-veg dishes are cooked in traditional Malnad style.
3) The pricing is all inclusive and very very VFM.
4) The hosts and the support staff are very pleasant to converse with, and make you feel at home right from the go

Con's
1) The beds in cottages are little uncomfortable. Also, with little more effort they can easily make the cottages more visually appealing

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nag-vasireddy
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We were there for a weekend. The place is inside a 17-acre farm and therefore surrounded by lot of greenery. Rooms are quite big, neat and clean. Some rooms are unusually big, sufficient for 4 adults and 2-3 kids. No TV in the rooms so that you can spend quality time with your group and enjoy the nature. There is one TV in the common area. Food is homely and very tasty. Mandagadde Bird Sanctuary is at a walkable distance (2kms) and worth the visit during the season (June-Sep).

This place can also be used as a base for visiting several scenic and pilgrimage centers in Shimoga and Chikmagalur districts.

Suggestions:
1) Plan some activities for the tourists in the farm.
2) Give tourists a few options to choose from local specialities for lunch/dinner/breakfast

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank raghubhat
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We ( a group of 3 families ) stayed at Inchara Homestay. This place is on the road from Thirthahalli - Shimoga. Nicely nestled in the greenery it was a very welcoming experience right as our Tempo traveller pulled into this place.

I had called up Mr. Ramesh (The owner of the property) to let him know that we were really hungry and we would like to have our lunch straightaway. and there it was waiting for us. The ladies who help Mr. Ramesh churn out truly Malnad cuisine. One week after the trip our family still keeps refering to the food we had there. This was certainly one of the best food we had on our week long trip to Karnataka.

It is a huge property and has a lot of options of outdoor games, right from shuttle, tabletennis, a tennicoit and volleyball/throwball courts.

A walk around the property in the wooded trails is a must if you have the energy and time

A very warm and welcoming experience overall. Felt right at home.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family