All reviews bar staff coffee table well worth the money choice of cereals full english breakfast fantastic value double room ate here saturday night ska band durham songs mahogany revamp pint range
Reviewed 22 October 2018

A party of 8 decided to have breakfast here , sounded good full monty , and very reasonable costs, but it was very poor quality and not to be recommended . Service good the young girls worked very hard as it was very busy , shame about the food.

Room tip: Never saw the rooms
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2018

We visited on Saturday to see a fantastic band called the Skatoons. The bar was really busy and the music was brilliant.
The band cover a lot of 2 tone and Ska songs and they have a real passion and excitement for the music they play.
Everyone was in excellent spirits smiling and dancing along to the band, and I joined in with the dancing. In my enthusiasm I had the confidence of a Strictly come dancing professional but in reality I probably had the moves of Teresa May!!
Bar staff were pretty quick considering it was so busy and the atmosphere was brilliant.
My only complaint was the ladies toilets, which looked like a confetti bomb had gone off as for some reason there was shredded toilet paper all over the floor.
The pub was advertising bands on every friday and saturday and it's great to see a band making the effort to try and get people in. Drinks prices were good too

Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

This was my second stay at The Lambton Arms Hotel, Chester Le St, Co Durham. What an improvement from the year before.
I was greeted with a smile from the manager who checked me in and made me feel very welcome. My heavy case was carried upstairs to a beautiful Executive room that was huge. Double bed with side tables, two armchairs and a coffee table, a dressing table with lamp and tea n coffee making facilities. A large double mahogany wRdrobe with drawers and plenty hanging space, lovely adjustable TV. The huge bathroom had a lovely shower over the bath and plenty of shampoos n gel which were replaced every day. White fluffy towels completed the comfort.
The bed was very clean.
The Lambton Arms is a very old building, it’s quite large and very quaint. There are plenty of rooms in the bar areas, food is ok... but there are plenty cafes n restaurants close by. Although we ate here quite a lot ... we tried the breakfast on our last two mornings of the 8 night break. I was very pleasantly surprised what we got for £5. The complete works and wished we’d had the breakfasts more often.
I hive this place the 5 stars because I couldn’t find anything wrong with it. With free parking too what more could you wish for.
The Weekend bands incidentally did not make any difference to me as the ‘Noise’ ceased at a very decent hour.
I’d like to thank the Manager and brilliant staff for a great week and make us feel very welcome
Can’t wait to go back...
Maureen.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank MaureenSussex
Reviewed 5 July 2018

No reception, book in at Bar! so called quiet room was very noisy due overlooking carpark, smokers patio and heat extractors, as well as band from 9-00pm to 11-30pm. beds too narrow, only wardrobe no drawers

Room tip: dont believe the staff who say that its a quiet room
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2018

Not Posh, but very Friendly - Lambton Arms Hotel Chester-le-Street

There are no big Hotels in Chester-le-Street (near Durham). You have to drive up the A1 to find a Travelodge or Camponile or Premier Inn.

If you need to be staying in town then the ‘Lambton Arms’ Pub has 11 rooms – but be warned – Saturday Nights can be a bit boisterous. It’s been in the centre of town for years and years, has character – and has been well used.

We knew that rooms were available after 2pm – but on checking in at 12.30pm we expected to have to wait a bit. The staff could not have been more helpful – and charming.

We’d decided to have a drink before having Lunch there – and WHAT . . ? the staff came to our table to find us . . . to tell us our room was ready . . . at 1pm. That’s a first !

There’s an extensive Pub Style menu from around 11am which also includes a good range of choices of two meals for £10.95.
They stop serving food on a Saturday nights at 7.30pm – to allow for the ‘Entertainment’ to set up.

Big plates they are – and the food is OK – but it’s not a ‘Gastro Pub’
Booking for one Saturday night worked out at £55 for a double room – which was huge – also we could have had a dance in the en suite.

Bedding was clean – although there were signs of wear and tear on walls and carpets. The place could do with an internal re-vamp. The staff made up for the lack of sparkle.

Full English breakfast was an extra £5pp – and for that you got the lot – big choice of cereals; then Bacon, Sausage, Mushrooms, Tomato, choice of Egg style, Toast, Hash browns, Baked Beans . . . the list goes on . . Then plenty of toast and spreads to round off – as well as Tea or Coffee. Fantastic Value for £5

Every staff member that we came into contact with was Charming and happy to help. Make no mistake this neck of the woods has every possible version of customers – some a bit rough and ready. . . but the staff were experts at coping.

When we finally arrived back at our room around 10pm we were immersed in the ‘Punk Rock’ music from a long way below us. However that stopped at 11pm – and peace reigned.

On appearing for breakfast at around 9am we were stunned to find the bar comfortably occupied by older individuals clutching their half downed pints – Had they been there all night ? ? Maybe a new trend – ‘a Pint of your Best for Breakfast, Landlord !’

They’ve had a bit of a problem with customers ‘borrowing’ their TV remotes, and are constantly having to order new ones. Funny what some folk are attracted to . . . .

All in all – Cheap and Cheerful – and Good Value – the Ritz it ain’t. . . . . . . but We liked it.

IMW

Room tip: Room 5 was spacious and not too noisy
Date of stay: April 2018